Author Topic: Ripping CDs  (Read 3150 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Ripping CDs
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:04:58 pm »
I'm convinced I'm cursed.....

Decided to get the full version of Media Monkey because it's got several automatic features and hoped to make my life a bit easier...

First rip... everything looks pretty good, even the bit verification against a database.

Track list

1 -- first song
10 -- last song
2 -- second song
3 -- third song
9 - next to last song

So it's counting 1 10 2 3 4   any idea what might cause that?

Gone

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
Re: Ripping CDs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:29:48 pm »
You need them as 01 02 03 04 05  ...

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »
Thanks,... man no one is real forthcoming on how to go about doing that...

Apparently you can change <track#> to <Track#:2>  am running test now.
Gone

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »
Script here might be what you need? http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14822

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
There are many pages of settings with options for settings, I just added ":2" to the track number tag and it worked.

Then I had the strange things where the songs seemed to end early and found out they were cross fading. so I go that squared away.

So I -think- I have my routine down...

They don't exactly offer context help so I have to pick setting and wonder what that does...

On FLAC I can pick

Sample Rate

Bit Depth

...and I'm not certain what "default" is referenced to... I hope it means it rips a CD at 16/44.1 and a video from a camera at 24/48K .. but I'm not certain..

I'm wondering if I should just just put it at 24/48K and realize I will have some empty bits and maybe a little bigger file but i won't miss anything.

Everything is web based and not exactly clear like a manual unless I just haven't found it.

Also I'm not pickup album cover art or lyrics which is no big deal, but I thought some of that was automatic.

Right now I get

R:\Music Library --- so it all goes here
-- \Album Artist
------\Album
----------Track#-Artist-Title-Genre

OR
Music Library
--- \Widespread Panic
------\Earth To America
-------- \01_Widespread Panic_Second Skin_Rock.FLAC

I'm a little confused because it seems the only way to add tags is via the file name. IOW, I see man TAGS I can add like BPM,

I did finally find this....
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/WebHelp:Configuring_Directory_and_File_Formats/4.0

But for instance you can see all the TAGS get added to the file name? Is this how it's supposed to work?

So far, I'm getting a good rip and everything is going where I want it and saving the settings ( I hope they are there when I go to next CD )...

BUT... I still feel like I'm missing something.

ETA: Found the album Art and Lyrics.... I had switched something off.

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:48:56 pm »

Track list

1 -- first song
10 -- last song
2 -- second song
3 -- third song
9 - next to last song

So it's counting 1 10 2 3 4   any idea what might cause that?

What are you observing this in? Media Monkey or the File Explorer?

If in the File Explorer, assuming  you have named the file with the track number at the beginning, it's because the file explorer is sorting files alphanumerically. If you want to fix this then you need to fill the filename with a leading zero as suggested by others.

Most media players will sort things numerically using the tags (and will ignore the filename), so leading zeros shouldn't be needed for them.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51:22 pm »

But for instance you can see all the TAGS get added to the file name? Is this how it's supposed to work?

Normally yes. It's not essential, but most people like to have filenames which reflect the tags, so they can find songs using the normal Windows File Explorer.

As I said, if you are using a typical media player app, it will read the tags, not the filename.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 08:52:07 pm »
MM ... but I got that squared away now.... I found the tag directions....

<Track#>    Writes the Track Number field to a filename (assuming it is not followed by a '\')

Then it went on to say.....

<'Field':n>    Can be used in conjunction with any of the above mask elements in order to force alphabetic fields to a specified length or to pad alphanumeric fields. For instance:
C:\My Music\<Artist:1>\<Artist>\<Album> - <Track #> - <Title> which would yield C:\My Music\A\Abba\Gold - 2 - Fernando.mp3 , useful for creating alphabetized directories.
<Track#:2> would yield 07 (for Track=7), and would yield 153 (for Track 153)
Numeric fields are not truncated: e.g. <Year:3> would yield 1940 (for 1940);
  The exception being: <Year:2> would yield 40 (aside from this specific field and value, numeric fields are not otherwise truncated)
Note: For text fields, the resultant characters start from the left. For numeric fields, the resultant digits start from the right. If n > the number of characters in the field, then the resultant path is padded with spaces or 0's depending on whether the field is text or numeric.
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:38 pm »
Just out of curiosity: Why don't you like using WMP for ripping?
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:56:32 pm »

Normally yes. It's not essential, but most people like to have filenames which reflect the tags, so they can find songs using the normal Windows File Explorer.

As I said, if you are using a typical media player app, it will read the tags, not the filename.

Cheers,

Keith

Right, ok, so my bet would be to go ahead and add the tags then simply hide the "File Name" filed in MM. So I have the data if needed.

When I get to Pink Floyd's ..
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"

I'm going to have one hella long file name!  Good thing I checked the box to warn me of file names too long.

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:52 pm »

Well one reason I wouldn't use it is because WMP doesn't rip to FLAC.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 09:06:02 pm »

Cheers,

Keith

I suppose if you rip a lot of music from CD you'd want FLAC? I don't rip CDs too often. When I do I usually just leave them as uncompressed wavs or convert them to MP3..
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 09:06:29 pm »

There may or may not be a legitimate nor sane reason but I tend to try to stay away from Windows built in products like WMP. I really don't mind too much the Windows OS, although I'm liking it less and lees as years go by, but I almost always like 3rd party apps to work with and they always seem to have better support available.

Like if I have problem with something even a windows, Mac, or Linux person might can help, but if you say I'm using a windows product people are more likely to say .. oh well.. it sounds like a windows problem.

So technically I honestly didn't even know WMP could rip CDs...... and to be honest with you,,, for low priced software like $0 to $50 I like to support the small time vendors especially if they make a nice product.

I'm not a Windows hater... but not a Windows lover either.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 09:12:35 pm »

Cheers,

Keith

I suppose if you rip a lot of music from CD you'd wand FLAC? I don't rip CDs too often. When I do I usually just leave them as uncompressed wavs or convert them to MP3..

Yeah, you need to read the Raspberry Pi thread about my experience with ripping 135G of wavs .... very very bad idea. It's on pages maybe 3 and 4.

Everybody loves FLAC and honestly I didn't even know WMP didn't do FLAC. FLAC is like the universal currency of audio and it's lossless. It's a perfect storage and delivery format for the masses.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 09:26:38 pm »
Ok.... I think I have just about got my default deal down.

\01_Widespread Panic_Second Skin_Rock.FLAC

Would you add any more tags to that? If so which ones?

Different order? Like Genre first?

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App