Author Topic: Dual Boot Linux  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
Re: Dual Boot Linux
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »
Kwallet is the default password manager for KDE (And chrome uses it too). To get rid of it you probably need to do something in kwalletmanager app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »
It turned out I needed to set my wireless connection to "system connection" and that makes the popup go away.

Also in the process I noticed a wired connection had been made... I probably shouldn't have but I deleted it. I suppose no problem to make it again though if needed.

I think I've pretty well got it rolling now... It's actually surprisingly easy to use after you kick a few things a bit.

Oh, I also found out they had a US PC Keyboard or an ASUS Laptop Keyboard... So I have switched to ASUS but haven't tried that sleep on battery deal again yet. Hopefully that cures that wakeup deal.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2014, 02:14:47 pm »
Well Majik, you and Dan would be proud of my... as you may recall I bought an old Linksys router to run a modified version of WRTOpen or OpenWRT or whatever it's called.. anyway... you have to flash teh bios and if you screw up you can be pretty bad off.

So I flash the thing and all looks good.. Problem is I forgot my password and got mixed up on the user name... so all my guessing was to no avail....

Well it turns out you can telnet over to it and change the password but you have to do it under certain conditions while it boots. Fours hands would have been nice. Once I did that it went offline and basically the directions are .... if you don;t have it back now, you are pretty much screwed... but maybe you can take advantage of 1 second window on boot and tftp to it.  So anyway .. long story short,,, he had a script which I didn't know how to use,,, so I basically found tftp, installed it, ran it.... fumbled the script in line by line... and finally..... figured how to drag my .bin file and have it allow me to copy the path to my put command. This along with some fast plug/unplug and tap the enter key before the computer drop the network connection and I made a connection.... the file actually uploaded and the router was ready for new configuration.  Guess who wrote their user name and password down the second time.

I honestly never could figure how to type the path of my file directly.

if  /home is on it's own partition and I have /home/tb/home/Downloads/this-file.bin

how exactly would you write that? I got to ...

put (enter)
<file> I couldn't get it to take a typed path. Luckily I found a way to paste it and I was pretty tired by then and forgot to write it down but I seem to recall it looked like what I was already typing.

Any ideas on that?
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2014, 04:25:33 pm »
Well Majik, you and Dan would be proud of my... as you may recall I bought an old Linksys router to run a modified version of WRTOpen or OpenWRT or whatever it's called.. anyway... you have to flash teh bios and if you screw up you can be pretty bad off.

So I flash the thing and all looks good.. Problem is I forgot my password and got mixed up on the user name... so all my guessing was to no avail....

Well it turns out you can telnet over to it and change the password but you have to do it under certain conditions while it boots. Fours hands would have been nice. Once I did that it went offline and basically the directions are .... if you don;t have it back now, you are pretty much screwed... but maybe you can take advantage of 1 second window on boot and tftp to it.  So anyway .. long story short,,, he had a script which I didn't know how to use,,, so I basically found tftp, installed it, ran it.... fumbled the script in line by line... and finally..... figured how to drag my .bin file and have it allow me to copy the path to my put command. This along with some fast plug/unplug and tap the enter key before the computer drop the network connection and I made a connection.... the file actually uploaded and the router was ready for new configuration.  Guess who wrote their user name and password down the second time.

Hah, nice one!

I honestly never could figure how to type the path of my file directly.

if  /home is on it's own partition and I have /home/tb/home/Downloads/this-file.bin

how exactly would you write that?

You seem to have an extraneous "home" in there. I would say it's:

/home/tb/Downloads/this-file.bin

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2014, 05:22:10 pm »
sorry,,, yes only one home. That's what I thought but at one time I actually had something being copied like ///home/   and that's when it seemed to double up the home deal.

but exactly how you have it written is what I thought should work... Caps on Downloads

The only other thing was the file is named xx-1.0.0.bin and I don;t know if all those "." make a difference. but it just wouldn't work unless I used copy / paste.

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2014, 05:46:42 pm »
sorry,,, yes only one home. That's what I thought but at one time I actually had something being copied like ///home/   and that's when it seemed to double up the home deal.

but exactly how you have it written is what I thought should work... Caps on Downloads

The only other thing was the file is named xx-1.0.0.bin and I don;t know if all those "." make a difference. but it just wouldn't work unless I used copy / paste.

If you are using the Linux Terminal, you are usually are using "bash". In this case it supports "tab completion", so you can type:

/ho<TAB>

and it should expand it to

/home/

It will automatically expand anything like this if you type the first few unique letters and press TAB. If it's not unique it will beep and if you press it again you get a list of possible candidates to help you add a few more letters. If you do this you can often build up a filename.

This works almost anywhere you can specify a filename within the command shell.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2014, 06:05:15 pm »
Oh yeah, I was going nuts with the arrow keys and having it put lines in, and the ping from hell..... holy cow.... had to learn Ctrl+C...... when "quit". "esc"  and "Stop This xx--xx Thing!!" just won't do.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:34 am »
I use old D-link 615 routers flashed with DD-WRT, here and at work, as access points. Excellent use for old Virgin Media routers.

You can get them for as little as £5 on Fleabay and the D-links certainly beat the crap out of that wireless monstrosity Virgin Media call a 'superhub' for solid connection. When the boss wanted wireless, our business support bods tried to sell him a £700 package with setup ......... He asked my advice and I asked him: Would you rather just pay twenty quid and let me loose for an hour on it?

The rest is history...... He's a happy man, we've got WiFi and I got a nice little dropsy for saving him a few quid  ;D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 02:22:22 pm »
I don't know what is going on with all my computer stuff....

I had a gigabit router that went bad, so replaced it with an Apple airport extreme that I had retired. Back up and running... everything was fine. Then I noticed I was getting a bit of weak signal on my android pad in one area so I figured ok, I've got a couple airport express units and I'll just reactivate one of them as an extender.

I can't get that thing to work no matter what I do. I've reset it multiple times. I tell it to join a network, give it the name and password of the Express and it reboots and says it can't find the wireless network. I've got another one I'm going to try but I can't believe this thing went bad sitting in a box.

I seem to recall the first time I did this with the extreme and two expreses it was so easy that I thought man, I'm buying all Apple network stuff from now on.

the USPS lost my Raspberry Pi... luckily the guy insured it and shipped another out right away, should be here today..... I swear, I can't look at a computer these days without something going wrong.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2014, 08:15:55 pm »
Oh yeah, I was going nuts with the arrow keys and having it put lines in, and the ping from hell..... holy cow.... had to learn Ctrl+C...... when "quit". "esc"  and "Stop This xx--xx Thing!!" just won't do.

There are, of course, plenty of good tutorials on the net for how to use Bash. Here's one, for instance:

http://youtu.be/x73WTEltyHU

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 09:34:38 pm »
Thanks.... I wish that 2014 version of Linux 8 in 1 would come out before June... I figured I would buy it but the timing is really bad.

Got my 2nd Pi yesterday. The USPS lost the first one. So I've loaded this one with RaspBMC and hope to fire it up this weekend. I also have a HomerunHD that I -hope- to interface to it somehow. I think I saw a video on it somewhere.

I'm still unclear to the Media Center. Will it act as a DVR/PVR or what the latest term is?  Or is it playback only. I need to set up some sort of 'recording' / 'capture' situation.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2014, 08:59:44 pm »
If you want it to act as a DVR/PVR it needs an interface for that, and/or add-ons.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2014, 08:28:53 pm »
Oh, and as an aside, if you like podcasts, are interested in Linux news/culture, and don't mind a bit of swearing, you might want to have a listen to the Linux Outlaws podcasts.

http://sixgun.org/shows/linuxoutlaws

Cheers,

Keith

It's on Youtube Live now if you are interested: http://youtu.be/7QBZMeqCmKQ

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2014, 09:03:19 pm »
Unfortunately, I have trouble with accents and will miss words and meanings. That and the dry wit of many in the tech fields, it seldom does me any good to follow any pod cast thing like that.

We have shows that come on Public broadcasting on Sunday evening and I will often have them on, never get the jokes and often miss gist of the whole show.

I can actually follow that show Doc Martin or Doctor Martin or whatever it's called but the others... 50% I can't follow what they are actually saying.

If someone is specifically teaching and has an accent, I'm ok, although an Indian cadence will throw me sometimes... but if it's just people talking with any kind of heavy accent.... I get continually lost.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App