Author Topic: Dual Boot Linux  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
Re: Dual Boot Linux
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 12:48:38 am »
Ok,,, now when you say repository.... you mean on my PC... or do you mean somewhere else.

Somewhere else.

One of the systems that has been in place on Linux for the last 15 or so years, and which is pretty much standard on all distros, is the "software repository". This is basically a distro-specific library of software that is preconfigured into your system. Think of it a bit like an "App store", except it also includes all the libraries (equivalent to DLLs on windows), utilities, and is also the centre for all updates.

One of the the great things about this is that, as long as you have installed software from the distro's repositories, pretty much all updates are handled by a single update manager. You don't get any of this nonsense where each app gives you a pop-up or other warning that there's a new version or a security patch.

Bear in mind most distros are derived from another distro, so you may actually find you "distro specific" repository actually has some repositories from other distros in there.

And the idea is that all (or most) software installation, upgrades, etc. is done through a single software manager app, usually called a "package manager".

Most distro's software repositories have all the software most people would ever need. There are occasional exceptions (especially if you want to use something like Google Chrome or Skype). For instance, you can install Chrome from Google's Chrome website. In fact, this installer is actually prompting you to add the Google Chrome repository to the list of other repositories on your system, and then Chrome gets installed via the package manager just like everything else.

This is where you need to exercise some common sense, and be careful what third-part repositories you add.

By the way, when we have talked about "apt-get" in the past (e.g. "sudo apt-get install rar") that is the quick command line way to install things, if you know what they are called. There are nice user-friendly GUI apps to do the same thing, like Synaptic, but if you are giving instructions to someone else, it's easier to give the command line version as it's precise and can be cut/[past by the other person.

So basically.. everything I need -should- be on my pc and that's why someone designed this distro?

Most things you need are likely to be on there, dependent on the distro. One of the major differences between distros is, actually, really just which apps they install as standard. But most distros have similar software repositories so if, for instance, you wanted Apache web server, or MySQL, that is not likely to be installed by default on a desktop distro. However, it's almost certainly in the repositories.

and if I want something off the wall like software define radio or spectrum analyzer I just go look for it like I normally would.

First stop is the distros, and if you have something like Synaptic package manager you cans search for specific terms like (for instance) "spectrum analyser". Otherwise do a Google to find the name of Linux projects which might do what you want, then once you have identified an app name, use the package manager first to check it isn;t in the repositories. If it's not, then it can get tricky depending on how mature and well packaged the app is.

Worst case, you can install it by compiling the source code. This can vary from trivial to a pain in the butt.

But all my basic needs are built in......

Most should.

So far it looks pretty good.... took me a bit to get my wireless connection. I first typed in the SSID and password bu tit would pop up an encription deal and then say I din't have a key and to make one bu tI don;t know how to make one. So finally I did something and saw my wireless network which is hidden and I selected it, typed SSID and pass and fired right up.[

Wifi can be tricky on laptops as many of the wifi vendors don't release drivers for Linux. There's a thing which wraps the Windows driver, but it can be awkward to get working.
The only other thing I did which I can't quite figure out....

You see the last YT video in this page. Look at the screen. No need to run video. You see there is a folder there. It says there are no files in this folder or something to that effect. Well somehow I closed it.... and I have no idea what it was or how to get it back. It's probably no big deal and to be honest it seemed in a the way, but I never actually got around to knowing what it was. this touch pad and mouse click gets a mind of it's own and things will fly off the screen some times before I realize I done it.

Ah, that's a KDE thing. It's a desktop "widget". It's basically a tool that sits on the desktop background and shows you the contents of your home directory. You don't need it and I usually get rid of it. But if you want it back, right click on the desktop background and select "Add Widget" from the menu that pops up. You'll get a list of all sorts of Widgets you can use. If you type "folder" in the search box, it will come up and you can re add it.[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you what else is odd.. on that now missing window.. the little control panel used to spring out from right and I did something and it ended up on left....... and I think that's when I killed it all together.

Yes, each widget has those control to let you move it, rotate it, configure it or, indeed, remove it.

If you like daily cartoons, I highly recommend the "comic" widget.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 12:49:45 am »
Oh, and if you select "Lock Widgets" from the right click desktop menu, you can stop the control panels appearing every time you hover over them.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 01:12:01 am »
Ok.... so each distro is apparently -a complete thing- to the extent they can make it that way regarding the -other stuff- they can make fit if I want it.

I never thought about that thing being a widget. I've seen the add widget deal but I figured before I add anything I want to know where what I had went off to.

I browsed into my other partitions and was hoping to find a Win8 DVD iso in there but no such luck. I saw a restore image and some other stuff... looks like some diags but... hopefully the Win side is going to work too.

So far so good, I need to try ti fire up Libtre Office
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 01:20:37 am »
Oh, and as an aside, if you like podcasts, are interested in Linux news/culture, and don't mind a bit of swearing, you might want to have a listen to the Linux Outlaws podcasts.

http://sixgun.org/shows/linuxoutlaws

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 04:41:14 am »
Ok.... I get it now... man that is nice how apps get installed and how to find them.

Also Thunderbird was already installed I just couldn't find it at first.

A player named Amorok or ?? Anyway it works fine. ... an dof all things just heard Baby's On Fire by Eno and when you go to the Ardour page his face is plastered all over that as well.

I can't believe how fast it finds and installs progs. One thing on that Ardour it wanted to know if Jacked2 could go in automatic mode or something... I read the help and I think it was ok to say yes, so I did.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 07:55:10 pm »
OK, got a couple of questions...

1: Battery only power. All the settings look good. Left running last night with lid shut. Very minor power drain. Started up adn asked for password. Now however, it goes to sleep 2 minuts for power save adn 5 minutes for sleep...

When it goes to sleep I can't seem to get it come back on, although there was one time I did and it askes for password... which is fine... But I can't seem to find the Un-Sleep Key.

The one pictured looks like a blue circle with horizontal line. I have my F1 Key showing a Zz marking. But I tried that to no avail. Also tried that with Alt+Zz and my power light went from on to slow blink.

2: Kguitar and Aria Maestosa --- They have Linux downloads but not in my Programs List... So these would be examples of progs that I would need to compile and hope they work? Aria Maestosa actually gives directions on how to compile it. Those also look somewhat dated and I wonder if maybe better progs exist... I found them on the Tuxguitar site... and TuxGuitar is actually in my list of Progs so it rolled right in.

3: Touchpad configuration... when I clicked that, I just got the bouncing ball and then nothing. Is that a sign of something? Operator Error
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 10:33:32 pm »
OK, got a couple of questions...

1: Battery only power. All the settings look good. Left running last night with lid shut. Very minor power drain. Started up adn asked for password. Now however, it goes to sleep 2 minuts for power save adn 5 minutes for sleep...

When it goes to sleep I can't seem to get it come back on, although there was one time I did and it askes for password... which is fine... But I can't seem to find the Un-Sleep Key.

The one pictured looks like a blue circle with horizontal line. I have my F1 Key showing a Zz marking. But I tried that to no avail. Also tried that with Alt+Zz and my power light went from on to slow blink.

Power management is one of those tricky things on Linux. The problem is there's a huge amount of variability in how this is implemented. When a vendor (e.g. Dell or HP) ships a laptop or PC with an OS on it, they make sure they have included and configured all the appropriate drivers for it. If you install something like Linux on it, it has to take best guess as to which drivers to use and how to configure them. In a lot of cases it gets it right, but not always.

If you look in Control Panel (the spanner/screwdriver icon) you should find settings for Power Management, and within that there should be stuff to tweak. The best bet is to try some of the settings and experiment until you get it working in the way you want. If you can't there may well be a proprietary driver, and Googling for the model and "linux suspend" may point you to some answers. Also put the laptop brand name into Synaptic and see if there are any obvious drivers there. There often are for some Dells and Thinkpads.

2: Kguitar and Aria Maestosa --- They have Linux downloads but not in my Programs List... So these would be examples of progs that I would need to compile and hope they work? Aria Maestosa actually gives directions on how to compile it. Those also look somewhat dated and I wonder if maybe better progs exist... I found them on the Tuxguitar site... and TuxGuitar is actually in my list of Progs so it rolled right in.

In a word, yes.

However, I would try alternatives like Tuxguitar and Rosegarden which are likely to be in the repositories.

I've never heard of Aria Maestosa. Looks interesting.

By the way, when it comes to music apps, you mentioned Jackd earlier. Jackd is the service for "Jack Audio Connection Kit", which is a framework for music production that is used by most of the decent music apps on Linux (and some on Mac OS too). JACK, amongst other things, lets independent apps work together by supported synchronised transport, tempo, and flexible audio/midi routing between apps.

My strong advice is to stick to stuff that works in JACK. Aria Maestosa doesn't seem to have originally been developed with JACK support, although the site says: "experimental Jack support is available starting from 1.2.3".

A good guideline is the apps in the list on the JACK page: http://jackaudio.org/applications

Tuxguitar doesn't have native JACK support , but I would see as an exception as I see more of a tab editor/playback tool than something you would use as part of recording a song, or a live performance.

Also, regarding audio/music this stuff is available on most Linux distros, but they aren't always optimised to make it all work nicely. You may wish to consider a distro like KXStudio which is optimised for multimedia authoring, and which comes preinstalled with a ****-tonne of audio apps preinstalled.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/

Other apps you may want to consider for this:

qjackctl is an app to configure and control JACK, and includes a simple connection editor
patchage is a much better connection editor
hydrogen is a pretty good drum sequencer
CALF is a nice set of plugins for compressors, EQ, etc.
bristol is an emulation system for classic synthesisers
qsynth is a software synth that uses SoundFont 2 files

Most of these should be in your repositories.

Cheers,,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 10:38:47 pm »
By the way, there are strong indications that Reaper may be coming to Linux.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?76237-Professional-audio-software-Reaper-potentially-coming-to-Linux

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 12:08:44 am »
http://cybolic.wordpress.com/software-linreaper/

============
Yep, I checked all the power management settings and they look good and work. Like I said I left it sitting all night and it went to sleep like it was supposed to ... it's wake up part I can't figure out...

I don't have a key or key combo that seems to wake it up. Lifting the lid wakes it up, but just a 5 minute sleeep mode,,, I can't figure what wakes it up.

The three minute low power I can wake it up by tapping touch pad... the closed lid I can wake it up, but the 5 minute deep sleep.... I can't figure what wakes it up.... I thought maybe there was some sort of known Linux key combo. I'll search that out though.

======
10-4 on the Aria deal.. .that's exactly what I thought too. I did in stall Tux and this was linked on their page.... plus it looked like a nice little app..... and maybe Tux will do what I want... I've never used it.

I just liked that it could do midi, tab and staff all on one little window. I can't read music and sometimes I see chords and such and would like to know quickly what they are, what they sound like, what they would look like on a guitar, etc.. That looked like the perfect app.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 12:12:51 am »
http://cybolic.wordpress.com/software-linreaper/

============
Yep, I checked all the power management settings and they look good and work. Like I said I left it sitting all night and it went to sleep like it was supposed to ... it's wake up part I can't figure out...

I don't have a key or key combo that seems to wake it up. Lifting the lid wakes it up, but just a 5 minute sleeep mode,,, I can't figure what wakes it up.

The three minute low power I can wake it up by tapping touch pad... the closed lid I can wake it up, but the 5 minute deep sleep.... I can't figure what wakes it up.... I thought maybe there was some sort of known Linux key combo. I'll search that out though.

Sorry, I don't know on that one. On my laptop opening the lead wakes it permanently.

======
10-4 on the Aria deal.. .that's exactly what I thought too. I did in stall Tux and this was linked on their page.... plus it looked like a nice little app..... and maybe Tux will do what I want... I've never used it.

I just liked that it could do midi, tab and staff all on one little window. I can't read music and sometimes I see chords and such and would like to know quickly what they are, what they sound like, what they would look like on a guitar, etc.. That looked like the perfect app.

Tuxguitar should do that for you. You can enter tab, see the score, and play it. It's a bit like Guitar Pro, if you are familiar with that.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 12:41:49 am »
Sorry, I don't know on that one. On my laptop opening the lead wakes it permanently.

Tuxguitar should do that for you. You can enter tab, see the score, and play it. It's a bit like Guitar Pro, if you are familiar with that.

Ok, good, that's even better. That's what i need it for. GP files. The people that made the lessons said to just get Tux to play the GP files. But I saw that aria link on their site and it looked pretty cool too, so i thought I would grab it. Maybe by now Tux just does it all.

Ok, on your laptop... if you put it on battery only and say leave it sitting for 30 minutes with lid up. When it goes into deep sleep so it doesn't run the battery down..... with lid already open... what key do you press to wake it back up again?
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29:39 am »
HEeeeeeeeeeeeeeelppppp !!!

Man I have tried every setting I can think of...

I need to connect a router with a cable to the LAN port... not the WAN port.

I have a crossover cable. I have tested it first on my regular pc PC<>Router.. same cable.. just plug in and type 192.168.1.1 and BANG there it is... even logged in to be sure it wasn't a fluke.

So back ti Linux.. I've tried to set up a manual connection and gave it these parameters

WRT

I also tried naming that the gateway too and the DNS server... somethings definitely not right. I tried other various settings to no avail.

Went to terminal--

sudo ifconfig

I don;t see eth0 -- I see eth1 as 192.168.1.1 which is the router and I see my wireless which is something else.

So somehow my wired interface does not seem to be set up quite right... although it must be doing something or how did ifconfig see 192.168.1.1

Ohhhhh... nooooo... I think I must need a driver for the interface.... ?? I'm not sure how to go about that.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 09:28:50 am »
HEeeeeeeeeeeeeeelppppp !!!

Man I have tried every setting I can think of...

I need to connect a router with a cable to the LAN port... not the WAN port.

I have a crossover cable. I have tested it first on my regular pc PC<>Router.. same cable.. just plug in and type 192.168.1.1 and BANG there it is... even logged in to be sure it wasn't a fluke.

Why a crossover cable? Normally a straight cable is the one to use for this. Crossovers are supposed to be used for switch to switch or switch to router connections.

That may be the problem.

So back ti Linux.. I've tried to set up a manual connection and gave it these parameters

WRT

I also tried naming that the gateway too and the DNS server... somethings definitely not right. I tried other various settings to no avail.

Went to terminal--

sudo ifconfig

I don;t see eth0 -- I see eth1 as 192.168.1.1 which is the router and I see my wireless which is something else.

So somehow my wired interface does not seem to be set up quite right... although it must be doing something or how did ifconfig see 192.168.1.1

Ohhhhh... nooooo... I think I must need a driver for the interface.... ?? I'm not sure how to go about that.

Really, you shouldn't need to configure a manual environment. If DHCP is working on the router, when you plug in the port the computer should sense the connection, bring itself up, and get an IP address.

It would be highly unlikely you would be needing a driver. All the drivers on Linux are normally built in and auto-installing.

Can you cut and paste the full output of "sudo ifconfig -a" please. Ou, and try a normal cable as well!

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:12 pm »
My ethernet seems to be named eth1 rather than eth0....

crossover going LAN to LAN port. Have used regular cable as well. No difference.
Not seeking DHCP. Router is not configured. Simply trying to connect to it's interface.

Ran update on SolydK .. very little installed so it's up to date. Checked hardware and network shows up fine. Although says eth1 and everyone else seesm to have eth0

Also now when I reboot KDEwallet wants a password... not sure why.

I think something is just misconfigured... oh, also did driver updates and no mention of network.

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:XX 
          inet6 addr: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:19

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:192 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:192 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:28576 (27.9 KiB)  TX bytes:28576 (27.9 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          inet addr:192.168.100.5  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:58003 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:29963 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:85582951 (81.6 MiB)  TX bytes:2420272 (2.3 MiB)
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 01:10:57 pm »
I got it....
I got to thinking maybe the network adapter is broken since this is a refurb.... although I think the refurb aspect of this thing was some flaws in the case finish. The 'brushed' aluminum has some streaks.

At any rate, I booted into Windows and it didn't work... then I realized it was trying with the wireless and not the wired.... actually what I mean is it didn't find a web site in windows... so it 'was' connected by cable and found the router address when I typed it...

SO I left cable plugged in and rebooted to SolydK and it didn't find a web site right off, so I type address and there was the router.... So it was apparently a problem of having he command associated with the wrong connection. It was looking on the wireless side.

=========================
That message I get when I boot up now though...

KDE Daemon wants to open the KDEWallet ... I would like get rid of that.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App