Author Topic: Question about Barre Chords . Am I doing it wrong ?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Slenderman

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Question about Barre Chords . Am I doing it wrong ?
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:27:14 pm »
In this lesson : http://justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php   It says that when I put the barre (1st finger if im not wrong) I need get the pressure on the open strings , but what I do is putting pressure on all of the strings . is that wrong ? The strings that I am pressing with other fingers still sound the same either it's with the Barre pressure or not . So am I doing it wrong by putting pressure with the barre on all of the strings ?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 313
Re: Question about Barre Chords . Am I doing it wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »
Yes,,, some barres your index finger will actually only hold down a couple strings and sort of mute the others just automatically by the shape your hand takes.

But generally barre all the strings and if you lifted up the other fingers the notes being barred would sound out.

You are doing it correctly... The only difference would be if you used a mini-barre then of course you are only catching a couple or maybe three strings.

Barring is pretty much automatic.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: Question about Barre Chords . Am I doing it wrong ?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:56:52 am »
It won't matter whether or not you're putting pressure on the strings that you're fretting with other strings, but I think a common problem is pressing down really hard trying to barre strings that you don't need. But if you've got the chord ringing out clearly then you're fine.

Like TB said, on some chords your hand will take a shape where you can really only barre the necessary strings effectively, and trying to get more pressure on the other strings will cause you to press too hard and cause unnecessary tension in your hand.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App