Author Topic: Classic Vibe Pickups  (Read 2763 times)

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Classic Vibe Pickups
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:39:35 pm »
I have a 60's Classic vibe Strat which has Custom Vintage-Style Single-Coil pickups, I also have a set that came off a Affinity Series, I think.
I have the kit to convert it to Brian May switching, my dilemma really is I'm blind as a bat doing close up work so I'm going to have to get someone to do the soldering, what I don't want is the guitar in bits for days on end  (or hand it over to some one and not see it for weeks!), Also the Classic Vibe pickups and controls are a yellow colour and wouldn't look right against a black pickguard, I just want to do this job once :)
It would be easier to fit the Affinity Series pickups and wire up and change it in one go, then its only the jack plug I need to worry about, but if you guys think these pickups are <insert vulgar slang here> I'll  find some better pickups
http://www.guitarfetish.com/BHM-Style-Wiring-Kits_c_226.html
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Classic Vibe Pickups
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:19:29 am »
Wut?  ???
Gone

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:39:02 am »
I had troubles reading this...
Honestly; I tried reading it 2 times and I still was puzzled.

1.So you have a classic vibe strat.

2.You have this Brian may style kit. You already invested in it?
what does it include? a new scratchplate too? (because there are extra switches etc).

3.You also have a set of affinity pickups (at least you think they come out of an affinity strat)

Now you want to know if it's worth it to put in the classic vibe pickups, despite the yellow pickup in the back pickguard, to do it?

I'd think the Classic vibe pickups will sound better then the Affinity ones.
I know nothing about this Brian May Kit but that yellow pickup would have distinctive, personal character. I can imagine it and I think it would look pretty cool :)

I rather wonder what's the deal with the scratchplate and the switches;
Are you going to fit them in the original scratchplate or do you have a new one?

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:57:10 am »
You get a new scratch plate with the correct holes, the 6 switches, new volume and tone pots, and a jack plug, wire etc, the scratch plate is black, my original is white

Yes basically I just wanted to know if it was worth fitting the Affinity ones and keep the Classic Vibe scratch plate assembly un touched

if the Affinity ones are rubbish I wont use them, I'm just trying to find the easiest way to get the job done.

One thing the idea is the bridge and centre pickups should be a similar height so when the phase is switched it acts like a humbucker, the classic vibe has raised poles the Affinity ones are flat

Sorry about the confusion, I tend to over complicate things, I'm trying to avoid having to take the guitar to bits multiple times, and rely on other people to help

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:17:33 am by nigec »
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:35:56 am »
how about

- getting black pickup covers and place them om the classic vibe pickups
- getting get brian may setup and put in the classic vibe pickups

and get the most desierd sound, switching options and looks in this situation?

I don't know the exact difference between the CV and the Aff pickups but some googlign says the CV are "better" than the Aff ones
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:47:36 am »
Funny enough I just found some black covers on ebay lol

once finished it'll look like this:

The pickups in that picture are wound like the Tri Sonics fitted to the BM guitar, but a bit out of my budget

Thanks for your help; it makes more sense to fit the pickups that are known to be fine

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:14 am »
I played quite a few squires and the classic vibes were the best of the lot imho. If it was Mr I would stick to the classics.

Ant

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:04:45 am »
Thanks Ant, I bought the Aff pickups and scratch plate etc off ebay last year to try and do the switches myself and never got around to it, then I found the kit, I've never played the cheaper Strat so I don't have anything to go by

There's a lot of different versions of this mod, and the Stat sounds nice, funny enough I thought the standard Strat pickups sounded better than the Burns

There's an even easier way using a push pull tone pot which keeps the Strat looking standard, its a bit late now lol

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:45:38 pm »

Finally got the job done
I went for different pickups and there's a BIG difference on the Low E string which from day one always sounded dead regardless to which pickup was selected. Unless there was an issue were the string goes through the bridge but its had new strings to try and solve it in the past
The switching.. well I'm still playing with that but the better pots give a lot better tone control it was barely noticeable before so in that respect it was well worth the hassle
Downside there is a lot more hum which I only really got on the bridge pickup, I guess the issue here is Tri sonics and the BHM modified pickups are a metal grounded pickup cover were I'm using plastic

Get The Forum As A Mobile App