Author Topic: Sony dumps PC line  (Read 949 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Sony dumps PC line
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:28:29 pm »
wow... if this keeps up you won't be able to buy a pc any more...

I can't believe how hard it is to find a basic, quality, 13" PC based laptop for around the $400 mark. I am --still-- looking for something... I can't believe PCs are still so expensive.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
Re: Sony dumps PC line
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:01 pm »
Brand PC's are never as good as anything you can build (or have built by someone) for a similar price.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »
A Laptop

I'm into DIY but I don't think I can tackle the DIY laptop
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:45:04 pm »
Why not ?
It's not like you can't get parts for that sort of thing, hell, i've seen people on hackaday even vacuuform their own laptop shells for DIY projects based off mini/micro ITX boards.
Companies like OCZ offer DIY kits for Laptops, and we're seeing more and more of those pop up over the last few years.
It's not anywhere near as easy to find the parts as OEM (yet!), because most OEM's have nice deals with companies like Lenovo, Sony, Dell etc., but with Sony moving out of the picture, and their PC department being sold, there's a good chance they'll go fully OEM (in the selling parts way) themselves, which could be good news for those of us who like to build their own PC's and such.
Whether it would be worth the cash is another discussion though, at least right now...
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:59:33 pm »
Their VAIOs were always well put together, but you paid a xx--xx of a premium for it. If you had the nous to shop around and knew where to look, you could always get a decent laptop for less.... at least here in the UK, anyway.

I've bought in a load of HP boxes from PC World Business to replace our entire bunch of XP units over the last month or so but they're only used for office apps and internet, so they haven't cost a packet. That and their support is pretty much straightforward and bombproof for what they are.

It's when you see 'Gaming PC' or 'Gaming Laptop' that you see a bloody great hike in prices ......... and as Dan says, you can pretty much build better for less yourself as long as you know where to shop. If you do that though, I've always advised to push the boat out and spend good money futureproofing the crap out of it. My box is five or six years old now and is up for retirement soon. I spent £900 - £1000 putting it together and I've put a few quids worth of upgrades in it over the years. I'll be looking to do pretty much the same with the new box ....... A kick xx--xx system with plenty of room for upgrading in future. Better get some bloody research done first though.

Talking about 'brand name' PCs ......... Back in the early 90's when the PC boom really took off here, PC World were chatting £1200 - £2500 for a PC system. I remember all the shiny Packard Bells et al....... and noticed this one with the 'Medion' brand name on it; right down around the £1200 end of the price scale. It had the exact same spec as a £2200 Packard system that the sales bod was trying to flog to some kid in with his parents. When the parents asked about the difference between the Medion and the PB, the sales xx--xx tried to explain using a comparison between a Ferrari and a Lada.

In the last 22 years, I've been asked to leave PC World and barred for an indeterminate period four times.......... For giving the staff aggro on the grounds that they were talking $hite to customers to get a sale, or for telling customers where to go localyl to pay a third of the price for what the sales gimp was wittering on about and then giving the sales gimp aggro about crap customer service.......

Each time was worth every minute I was 'unwelcome'  ;D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:02:28 pm »
I honestly don't think I could build a laptop for what I could buy one for. That's the whole point.

I mean if I built one it would go in a Pelican case but I don;t think I want that bulky thing... maybe .... maybe not.... Perhaps Pelican has a case that is sized for a Laptop and just build in that.

I have not seen any DIY laptop stuff. I would not be opposed to a run n gun highly durable custom DIY laptop in an atache though.
Gone

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 07:36:40 pm »
Had pretty good luck with Samsung laptops (got at least 4 of them around the house)...

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »
Don't think I've ever had a samsung... got many of their monitors though.

I just want a good solid 13" for $400.

When I start looking it's always ...

$1000
$750
$800
13 -- chromebook !!!
Tablet
Tablet
Tablet
15 - $1250

It's like,,,  come on... all I want is a basic solid PC. It's either junk or Extreme Book  or whatever they call them.

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 08:32:16 pm »
I don't know where Toshiba is on that scale. Locally, they seem to start at €500.

I've had one and use one now. The first one made it to 3.5 years, was built like a tank, used very much and often. All the problems it had was a worn out keyboard. My current one is still going strong as ever with a fresh Windows 7 install, just passed the 3 year mark. I've seen many people with much more popular choices like Asus and Apple having problems with something, while I've never had one with Toshiba.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »
I see the era of the Chromebook type PC and laptop.

This is not a new concept by the way. Back in 1997 I participated in the "Network Computer" project which was an Oracle initiative, supported with a reference design by Acorn Computers in the UK. The "NC" was exactly what a Chromebook is today: a fairly dumb computer running a web browser, except the web technology wasn't nearly as advanced then as it is now. It was an idea ahead of it's time.

Chromebooks are now one the of the top selling laptop devices on Amazon, and in education. We have 3 of them, and my family loves them. Microsoft's clumsy "scroogled" campaign has really just shone a light on Chromebooks.

And there are other browser based platforms coming along, such as Firefox OS.

Of course a Chromebook isn't for everyone (I actually run Ubuntu on my Pixel alongside ChromeOS), but they are becoming increasingly capable of replacing a laptop for many tasks. I actually have Linux and Windows VMs set up behind a VPN, and a lot of the time I use the Chromebook as a VNC client into the VMs so I get most of the functionality of a full desktop OS, in a lightweight, almost disposable, laptop. In fact I can use VMs with more power than I could get in a lightweight laptop.

Things aren't quite  there yet, but they are lining up. Amazon now offers desktop computers in the cloud. They're not compatible with Chromebooks yet, but it's a matter of time before a Chromebook like device can offer easy access to full desktop OS capabilities far more powerful than you could carry in a laptop.

And the security and maintenance of them beats anything you can get in a Windows or Mac computer. There's stuff they can't do, but for most common tasks, they just work.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say this is the future. Schools are already buying Chromebooks in droves because they are cheaper, easier to maintain, and often more productive than PCs, Mac or iPads. My personal view is, in a few years time, the majority of laptops and a large proportion of desktops sold to private users will be browser based appliances (not necessarily Chromebooks).

Of course large enterprises are a different matter. They will continue to buy Microsoft because most large corporate IT depts. don't actually know much about IT or security, and basically buy what Microsoft, HP, Oracle, and other vendors pay tell them to. Most of them won't buy into the Chromebook concept until Microsoft create the "Explorerbook".

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 10:56:07 am »
.....most large corporate IT depts. don't actually know much about IT or security.....

This is true........ I mean.... we're only a small, twenty user network .......

...... And they let me run it ....... so, proportionally.... case in point  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App