Author Topic: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic  (Read 31491 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
Re: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2015, 12:14:52 am »
The other network is from Telfort and using the Sitecom router which looks like Star Trek next to the Davolink  in terms of router control and GUI interface.

It seems to run fine behind the Davolink now, albeit a little bit slow. There should be 40 down/up conneciton there soon and I'll try to get it to work on LAN as well.

Right now I successfully installed WordPress without too much hassle so I can freely muck around with it and learn how to use it.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2015, 07:02:26 am »
Well, I'll be away from the forums for the next few weeks, so if you need any help with the Wordpress, hit me up via email or PM.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2015, 05:34:38 pm »
I'd be careful with those modules bradt, they are capable of outputting a rather disturbingly strong signal, and unpredictably so...

I now see what you mean about the ESP8266. I plugged it in today to try out a few things. On startup the gpios all went high, and everything in the house lost wifi. Don't know how far reaching that was, or if it even affected any other networks (may have just flooded my router somehow).

This was with the original ESP-01. I have a different model I am going to drop in the prototype to try, but it looks like these may not be the right fit for the home automation mesh I was going to build.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2015, 04:46:15 am »
Imagine what happens in a more amplified setting, with external antennas and one of the more 'heavyweight' modules they make...
When i said i ended up jamming radio coms in a 1 mile radius, i was not kidding.
Hence why the prototype i made ended up with the police, they could easily trace the signal back to it's original... there was no mistaking the source  :-[

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:12 am »
Hence why the prototype i made ended up with the police, they could easily trace the signal back to it's original... there was no mistaking the source  :-[

darn, you lost your gear? :/

I had an idea and I wonder if this stuff could tackle it.

I'd like to have some kind of video streaming at home.

the gear present:
-a desktop pc, win 8.1, conencted with utp to router
-a samsung tablet running android (my wife's)
-an iPhone 5 (mine..my employers actually..I wouldn't buy one myself ;))
-a TV with hdmi but nog a smart tv. It supports USB for a built in media player though.
-an external HD

what I would like to achieve is that, with a minimum of devices running, watch media on the iphone and tablet. The computer would be used to 'acquire' the media in the fom of physical files. So no streaming services like netflix etc. I would transfer them, over network, to an SD card or something, plugged in the Pi. (that would eliminate the external HD, as it needs to be plugged in all the time and I don't want to wear out my drive I use for backups).
Ideal would be that, for example, I drop put stuff like our family video's to de storage of the Pi from my pc as a network drive or something and that from there on, my wife doesn't need my assistance to watch them on het tablet or on the tv. (she will be needing an app of some sorts I suppose)
as we have a traing bike upstairs, we would like to watch stuff there as well while we excercise. I'll be watching stuff on my iPhone then.

What would I need and how would it work for the mobile devices? (which apps etc)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2015, 02:55:56 pm »
Lieven, I have been building the same thing and Dan has helped me out. I can tell you a few things...

This is the short story.

Main Family TV = RiPi 2 w/Openelec-KODI
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
--- notice builds for every OS
-------- this means you can install it on all your devices and stream from local or far.

Now what I figured out about the same time Dan was telling what I needed, and he told me the same thing.... was.... KODI is a kind of a bare bones media center and due to copyright and such, you need to add 3rd party "addons".... of which there are a gazillion.....
I highly recommend you watch/do this... just as a basis to get started....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Fgc5IpH30

Hard drives.... you are going to want a big drive to store stuff on... just no two ways about it... music, vids, pictures, docs, everything you want your devices to access 'at hand'... honestly I would get 2 drives... one live and one a copy.

Now my router has some USB ports so I can connect a drive there and share it. It can be shared via UPnP Universal Plug n Play...  So your devices can see it. Like VLC player and other such media playing progs on your devices. There is an issue with VLC and Win10 just so you know.

Ok, now let's say your router has no usb. Dan turned me on to DietPi and you can share your stuff on it. Again though... and I didn't catch on to this right away... it has to have a USB hard drive connected to install correctly and also serve up all the files. The good news is it will run on one of the older Pi B, B+.. It can assist in "aguiring" etc.. ... I have not got to that yet, as I branched off to my router for some of those duties. http://dietpi.net/ .. you will need to get Dan to get you squared away on that as I am not real clear yet just how that all works... plus just being Linux is a stumbling block for me... I still don;t take to it easily.

Due to the nature of how all this streaming stuff works.. some of it requires you subscribe to services and of course some is just out there free and some is copyright protected but randomly available. All that is mixed all together within the 'addons" for KODI... so many may wish to use a VPN service.

GMAIL does not play well with VPN services. It thinks you are in another region trying to log in and blocks you until you prove it's really you. Just a heads up on that. VPNs seem to use ip4 but not ip6 such as this one.... although they are supposed to have ip6 next year. https://nordvpn.com/

Dan has a link to a good article on VPNs which I don;t have handy.

Finally you will probably want a cloud backup for your devices once you get all this mess configured. If you don't have a Dropbox account, get one BUT... have Dan send you an invite and both you and he will get an extra 250 to 500 Mb... I could give you one, but get it from Dan so he can bump his up as I am going to be purchasing a 1T upgrade for something else I have going and somehow I signed up to a new account and it's up to almost 6GB now and neither Dan nor I know exactly how that happened... When you sing up though... go through the little tour and deal they present and when finished they will bump your space up.

so in review

Internet
---- Main TV = fast Pi + access to local storage
--------- oh, you will probably need these too...
--------------- http://www.amazon.com/FLIRC-FL-09028-Universal-Receiver-Components/dp/B00BB0ETW8
--------------- http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442238318&sr=1-1&keywords=edimax+wifi
You don't need the FLIRC on them all, just your main TV, the WiFi dongle as needed ( if not wired ).

---- Devices = KODI or some media player to access local home storage
---- Pi = stroage share, acquire, other
--------- Cloud storage for at least Pi backups
------------- Some form of backup for everything

So that's the general layout / flow... but it can be tweaked, streamlined in many ways...
Oh,, and you may want a Pi Radio box and Dan has that info as well... I haven't got to that yet either.

So far I've got
Music Share
KODI and VLC on all my devices and can play all my music on any device
One main KODI install on a Pi2.. have FLIRC but need to plug it in and configure

So Desktop - W7, Laptop W10, Tablet Android for Nook HD+
1 Music Share local
--- next is to connect a USB hub to that port so I can share more drives. then use the second USB port for a network printer ( just found out I can do that hub deal )

I have 2 older Pis left for radio, dietPi duties, etc... so still a ways to go.
Hope that gives you a sort of big picture over view as it's fresh in my mind as I just did it in the last week or so. Dan with have to get you detail stuff.

It's beginning to make sense to me now that I've gotten this far.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »
I'd suggest a Raspberry Pi 2, with DietPi installed, connect a decent size harddrive, and share files by installing SAMBA on DietPi (it will install just about anything for you, just choose a software package during setup and you're basically done), and you could add an Owncloud install so you could drop files to the system from cellphones as well.
DietPi also does MiniDLNA, so you could stream to any device that supports DLNA/UPnP.
If you want specifics in Dutch, give me a shout on Steam  ;)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2015, 11:23:41 pm »
I recently had my mom purchase an RPi 2 which is now running OpenELEC and connected to the TV. I'm not even half aware of what I can make it do. Primariy goal is getting it to play movies and/or series but I've got other things on my mind so I never really got to sit down and figure it out.

I found the YouTube application to be slightly awkward as well (lack of autoplay and can't figure out how to log in). ::)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2015, 10:55:23 pm »
If you need help, you know where to find me...
Hell, i can probably talk you through how to set things up on skype even  ;)
Also, cue, FliRC dongle.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2015, 04:29:06 am »
Take Dan up on the Skype offer.

This is one subject where you can whizz in the wind for a long time on your own.

If you see it happen and then do some research and then think ... ok... what's the big picture... it will likely snap in place for you.

There are some things you just need to have someone sit you down and show you the basic deal. Then you can go out into the forest and forage for yourself.
Gone

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2015, 05:23:00 am »
Digging up an old topic here, but have you guys seen the Raspberry Pi Zero? Pretty sweet, and selling for about $5. Hopefully they can get more of them out soon.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

A pretty decent video of it as well.

Now, to find a compatible micro usb wifi dongle.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:22 am »
Digging up an old topic here, but have you guys seen the Raspberry Pi Zero? Pretty sweet, and selling for about $5. Hopefully they can get more of them out soon.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

A pretty decent video of it as well.

Now, to find a compatible micro usb wifi dongle.
Sold out everywhere in the UK :'(
I wanted to use one as a controller for my AKAI keyboard and drum pad.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:58:09 pm by Fox Cunning »

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2015, 03:04:07 pm »
More like sold out everywhere, UK, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands...
Not a single RPi zero in sight  >:(

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »
Yeah, I believe they said they sold something in the neighborhood of 20,000 units in the first 24 hours. There should be more coming out soon enough though.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »
So now the case costs more than the computer!

I don't understand how they can make that thing for $5 much less sell it for that.

It doesn't even show as being a stock item over here from two big national resellers.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App