Author Topic: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic  (Read 30272 times)

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
Re: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2015, 11:38:59 am »
A bit like Science (my wife is a secondary-level Physics teacher) we should introduce programming to kids at an early age, try to present it in a positive light, and encourage them if they want to do it later on in their education, but not force them to.

<rant>
The "presenting it in a positive light" is the difficult bit because society has been promoting anti-intellectualism for the last few decades, framing many academic subjects and careers, especially Scientists, Engineers, Developers, etc. as being social outcasts. Unfortunately we live in a world where ignorance and dishonesty is often valued and rewarded over knowledge and integrity.

Despite living in a world where technology surrounds us, the last 2 or 3 generations of kids leaving education seem to have less understanding of computers than those who went to school in the 1980s.

It's encouraging that this is being recognised a bit (at least in the UK) but the approaches being taken to remedy the situation seem pretty ineffective and, in some cases, counter-productive.
</rant>

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2015, 12:14:55 pm »
I will get some stick for this but I'm convinced that political correctness has pushed our modern society into the celebration of mediocrity. There is no such a thing as equality in nature, some animals are stronger some are more intelligent, others are faster etc, to ignore that is completely stupid.

I'm all for equal rights for everyone but don't tone down the education level in favor of the least intelligent pupil.  Make sure that each student gets the level of education that will develop his/her talents to the fullest.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2015, 12:42:19 pm »
I agree to an extent.

I would argue that Political Correctness is a thing because the application of "fairness" in society is often misplaced or misappropriated.

But in the case of STEM in UK schools, the problem isn't Political Correctness. It's clueless Government desperately trying to address a problem that is of their own making and applying some band-aids.

By the way, this isn't a dig at any particular party. Governments of all colours and sizes (including LEAs) have been complicit in this, back from the early 90s when they removed IT from the curriculum and replaced it with secretarial skills (aka. how to use MS Office). Microsoft was pretty much gifted the education market and were allowed to indoctrinate management, teachers, and kids with their ecosystem. I wonder how many people got back-handers from that!

Now they are trying to fix this and other problems by forcing kids, including disruptive kids who really don't have the skills for STEM, to study Science and Maths to A Level whether they want to or not. And, yes, it drags the smart kids down.

Keeping kids in school this way also keeps them off the unemployment stats.

The other motivation for this (and this is party specific) is school league tables: the current Government seem hell-bent on wresting control of schools from LEAs (who they only have limited control over) and league tables is the blunt instrument they are using: the aim is to be able to judge schools as "failing" and then turn them into Academies or Free Schools.

For instance, a lot of kids aren't capable of getting a GCSE or A-Level in Science, but could probably get a BTEC qualification. In my wife's old school they had a lot of kids on the BTEC track. The Government have now changed the measurements so that BTEC no longer counts, and that has resulted in schools pushing these kids into GCSEs and A-Levels instead just to keep the stats up and to avoid being seen as "failing".

Of course, this disadvantages all the kids.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2015, 07:51:48 pm »
Right. So as you know, I have a Pi 2 Model B.

Me, I would like to have access to PHP and Ruby as CLI as well as part of Apache/Rails. PHP because it's a language I know quite well and have already written a cronjob for the heck of it. As for Ruby, it's a lnaguage I really would like to have a go at.

Currently, I have php5-cli installed (because I needed at least something), but I haven't installed Apache or Ruby (or Rails).

What would you recommend I do an't don't install to do this?

Not that I won't use Python, but that's obviously already pre-installed on the Pi.

Question aside, I have a project in mind that involves a facial expression recognition algorithm developed by Fraunhofer IIS and see if I can make it into an interactive music player. It's a bit of a branch-out fromt he uni project I did with a group not that long ago.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:45 pm »
I suggest a version control system like git or subversion. Git is the current fashion and, I think, is easier to manage local versioning with.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2015, 12:51:10 am »
The filesystem keeps crashing. This will be the fourth time within 2-3 weeks that I have to re-image the OS onto the SD card. However, I used diskpart this time to clean up the disk first before burning. Maybe it helps, I don't know.

I do shut it down correctly with iether halt -p or shutdown -h now, but it still seems to crap out at one out of a couple boot-ups.
Production and mixing

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2015, 08:48:45 am »
Could it be that your (micro)SD card is faulty? Have you tried already with a new card?
Did you upgrade your system to the latest versions?

I never had any of those issues but then again I never shut down the PI.
My biggest issue I have had so far with the raspi is that for no clear reason it shuts down the SSH daemon after a while leaving it inaccessible from the network, which is a pain in then neck since you have to connect a keyboard and screen to log in and restart the SSH daemon.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2015, 03:17:11 pm »
I've had that issue before as well cue, was the SD card dying.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »
I too have had sd card issues with Pi. The card is fine but simply not suited to the Pi. Same thing with my android based Nook HD... the software vendor even sells his known good sd cards just to make life easier if you run his os.

There are usually lists of known good, iffy, and flat just won't word.. .sd cards that otherwise would be fine.

Bu by all means use that sd formatter as a first step.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2015, 09:39:13 pm »
It's the only  microSD card I have, so no, not yet. I have updated/upgraded (in that order, too) tothe latest version.

I have the Integral SDHC 16GB class 10 Ultima Pro card that's on this list. I screwed it up once by expanding filesystem after installing updates, but it kept failing at random boot-ups since. Sometimes it even boots up fine after throwing errors and rebooting it. Just not always.
Production and mixing

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2015, 12:52:52 am »
Figured it out. I thought my Pi was off a couple of times, while in reality it just dropped the WiFi adapter for some reason, making SSH connection impossible.

Yesterday it happened (without yet knowing what really happened), when I couldn't connect, hooked up keyboard and monitor to discovered the Pi was still running but just not connected.

So what I did in essence, was powering down the system without halting it first.

At least I got nginx to work again in 20 minutes instead of 2 hours that it took me originally. I will however install MySQL since I couldn't quite get PostgresQL to work. I had it down to the point where both Pi and pgAdmin could connect to the database, but I couldn't figure out how to create a table in pgAdmin and the PDO (PHP) query creating a database didn't show up in pgAdmin.
Production and mixing

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2015, 06:21:01 am »
http://www.raspipress.com/2014/06/tutorial-install-nginx-and-php-on-raspbian/
That might help with Nginx, PHP and MySQL.
It is rather specific on certain things but it's a good starterguide in any case.
Also don't forget :
Code: [Select]
sudo mysql_secure_installation
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2015, 05:59:00 pm »
Thanks Dan. Already had nginx working. Doing MySQL installation right now.
Production and mixing

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:38 pm »
Right, so I'm having a confusing ole' time trying to set-up static IPs for multiple networks the Pi could be connected to.

One is always wireless, because the router is outside the house, the other could be either wireless or by cable, from one of two APs.

How do I set this up? I keep having to hook up a monitor to see what's actually going on (and I do end up getting it to work). I'd like the Pi to autoconnect to whatever of its known routers is in range. Right now, when I boot it up when I'm near the second configured router, it still scansfor the first one.

I haven't bothered messing with eth0 settings since I don't have a monitor near those places so I can't see what I"m doing and I obviously can't SSH to the Pi when I don't know 1) if it's connected and 2) what its IP actually is or 3) if I butchered the interfaces or wpa_supplicant.conf files in the process.

Right now, all I've written down is the "address" line in the interfaces file, and the wireless networks have "id_str" assigned in wpa_supplicant.conf file.

I've only been looking at it in more depth on one router, but when it's set to dhcp, virtual hosts (port forwarding) works, but once I set "address" to something like 192.168.1.113 (outside the dhcp pool), I can find it on LAN (from my computer or from my phone), but the router doesn't want to forward to it (so I can't access it from outside the network unless it's set to dhcp)

That's a lot of issues in a single post. :o

ETA: xx--xx it, have screenshots! ;D
interfaces:

wpa_supplicant.conf:

ETAM:
route -n says the gateway is 0.0.0.0, so that basically means it's got no gateway to the outside world, right?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:33:18 pm by Cue Zephyr »
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2015, 11:49:40 pm »
I can't tell exactly what you have going on but it looks like you are not on the same subnet.

IOW x.x.1.x vs x.x.0.x

so for instance if you dhcp pool was x.x.1.1-100   then that subnet would also see x.x.1.113 but not x.x.0.113 ... you could ping it but you need to tell everything to look and listen there too.

also when you "outside".. .do you mean way outside... as in another network? Because 192.168 is not routable over the Internet.

I might be off base here but that's kinda what I'm seeing and again, I'm not real clear of what you have going.

ETA to your ETA.. yes... you seem to have no gateway.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App