Author Topic: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic  (Read 31955 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
Re: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:44:10 am by Wishbone »

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 09:52:35 pm »
If speed is your issue then you may consider a BeagleBone Black. The processor is 1Ghz vs the 700Mhz on the Pi. They both have the same RAM, but the BBB has the ability to flash the OS directly to the board rather than having to load from SD (comes with OS pre-installed).

Either should work pretty well though.

Oh... this was my find... I wouldn't mind doing something like this and have a bunch of lights already that are no longer in use. Might be nice to get something like that going.... it seems pretty easy... but who knows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1daIb1LVc

Watching this I am wondering why he chose RPi. I would think an arduino with a shift register would be enough to control the relays, and those PIR sensors he is using all work with arduino as well. I guess if he also wanted wifi connectivity that would be a reason, but you can set up arduinos for that too. It looks like he has a wifi dongle on there.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2014, 12:27:37 am »
(long full HD bluray rips might not work reliably).

My RaspBMC box streams full HD rips over the WiFi just fine.
Bit of lag starting up and pausing at times, but viewing is fine.

@ bradt : As i've stated before, i run one of my Pi's in a similar setup for lights and such, reason i used the Pi is ease of scripting for the sensors through linux, so much work has already been done by others that i can simply borrow their code and then tinker with it until it works for me.
And the networking is a must, especially if i want to be able to remotely switch things on/off.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 12:34:45 am »
I was just going to ask now decision is down to Fruit or Dog Food. I want a job naming new computer endevours. People will just send me money and I will think up crazy names for their products or missions.

That sounds good being able to flash the OS on... does it have an SD card too? I haven't looked that closely yet.

Yes, I think that guy is doing something Wifi,,, I'm pretty sure it was him. One of teh vids he had changed things up a bit to power the RPi from the 12v supply as well.

So just to be clear... you are saying that if I wanted to venture down the NAS or the Lighting deal, that either the RPi or DogBone will hold all the software?

I suppose Majik has a good point with that Raspbian distro. I have heard that mentioned in a few videos and perhaps it doesn't do so well on the dogbone.

So I need to look that up....

RPi vs Bone
Speed -- Bone by 25%
Ram -- equal but Bone has flash
Support - Rpi but basic mechanics will be similar cross platform
OS - RPi has custom distro but I -should- be able to learn to install many various ones on either.
Cost -- roughly the same
Cases - Rpi wins from what I have seen but not deal breaker for me
Sensors, add ons -- I'm a little unclear on this. seem they should be mostly cross platform

Anything else I need to be fretting over ( ha! bet you didn't see that one coming... Dan loves that stuff, I toss it in just for him lol )

I think I'm going to buy one soon and see if I can figure it out.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 12:39:19 am »
... reason i used the Pi is ease of scripting for the sensors through linux, so much work has already been done by others that i can simply borrow their code and then tinker with it until it works for me.

Now do I need to be concerned about any of that between RPi and DogBone. IOW... even though it is Linux Scripting... does some/any/all of the existing code get tied directly to RPi hardware and either would not run or need adjusting for DogBone..... if so.... that pretty well seals the deal for me.

If the code is pretty much agnostic to the hardware then maybe I go with the faster one that has flash on board.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 02:03:56 am »
LOL... i had to post this... I swear I think the Internet is a collection of insanity.... This cracked me up.. I found this while of all things simple trying to read some comments about a RPi picture frame viewer.

Had nothing to do with Sheep, Legos, xx--xx or Ditches but.......

-----------

Person 1:
its actualy lego not legos, think what is one individual piece called? its lego plural, like sheep and not sheeps, seriously america, speak english or dont speak at all :P

Person2:
    Yes in New Zealand they say we have a lot of SHEEP, but then the trolls at New Zealand television say "across the xx--xx" because they can not say "across the Tasman" (Tasman sea, the water between Australia & New Zealand)

Person3:
        I think you'll find they are saying "across the ditch" (not xx--xx). :)

--------------------------

LOL... I don't why that just cracks me up.... probably because it had absolutely nothing to do with anything and it's so completely stupid it actually seems like it makes sense. Actually in all fairness it was a slide show type deal but apparently if you stop on one item and look for comments they are not in context, so apparently someone must have had something going on with 'Lego'.. lol.... wow... comedians don't need writers any longer... just get on the Internet and read messages for material.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 05:09:34 am »
Found a nice comparison link... I'm also starting to find a lot more project stuff. Don't know why it was difficult before.

Really tough to choose a clear winner. If you want 1080p it looks like RPi and speed wise there are some backs and forth issues.

I think maybe for the first one I should probably go with RPi

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/04/25/beaglebone-black-vs-raspberry-pi-features-and-price-comparison/
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 08:03:06 am »
(long full HD bluray rips might not work reliably).

My RaspBMC box streams full HD rips over the WiFi just fine.
Bit of lag starting up and pausing at times, but viewing is fine.

Sounds like it's doing a lot of buffering, but if it's fast enough for that then it should be more than good enough for most tasks.

As far as distros go, there shouldn't be anything tied into hardware other than the drivers. The main practical difference between distros tends to be which libraries, utilities and apps are provided and in which versions, and which bits are installed by default.

This leads to some differences in file system layout which are mostly transparent. It also means some system configuration tasks may be different from one distro to the next.

But, other than that, they are all pretty similar, and most software will work (or can be made to work) on most distros. It's the "can be made to" bit you really don't want to have to deal with until you have more experience, which is why it is generally best to go with a distro that you know will work, or is most likely to, and that you will get the most help with via tutorials and so on.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 03:17:50 pm »
Damn Keith, you just made me realise it probably is just buffering due to the available bandwidth on the wireless  :-[
Now i feel like a putz, because i have plenty of routers here i could use to solve what probably is just congestion  :-X
*walks off in shame, while looking for his old routers*

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 05:36:35 pm »
Ok, speaking of router... I have been looking at this thing for a while.....

Now the dogbone has a client and host USB port where Pi has two host I believe.

This Router has a port for attaching a Drive...

Would it be possible to connect the Pi or Bone to the USB port used as a network storage to many more drives.

IOW,, I seem to recall that when you plug a drive into a USB port on a router you get one drive. You can't plug in a hub and access say 5 drives... but I was wondering if the Pi-Bone could look to the router like one drive and would it be faster than the 100 network cable speed they run at.

Does that makes sense?

Oops... here .. http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus-rt-ac68u-dual/4505-3319_7-35828165.html

Actually on the specs I don't think my idea would work.. they have some specifics as to what kind of drives... but.. .you can plug a printer in or a drive... I guess that's a stretch ...

http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:57:07 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 06:18:31 pm »
http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=7664

Now that guy has his shiznit together... that's a nice setup
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 09:00:53 pm »
Ok, speaking of router... I have been looking at this thing for a while.....

Now the dogbone has a client and host USB port where Pi has two host I believe.

This Router has a port for attaching a Drive...

Would it be possible to connect the Pi or Bone to the USB port used as a network storage to many more drives.

Errr, What? I'm sure anything's possible, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that?

IOW,, I seem to recall that when you plug a drive into a USB port on a router you get one drive. You can't plug in a hub and access say 5 drives... but I was wondering if the Pi-Bone could look to the router like one drive and would it be faster than the 100 network cable speed they run at.

Ah, I see.

Does that makes sense?

I'm not sure it does. In theory there's nothing stopping you plugging in a hub and putting multiple drives in. If there is, then it's more than likely down to a deliberate restriction in the router (most of these routers are actually running Linux, and the Linux USB storage subsytem supports multiple drives by default). You may need a USB hub with external power.

But if it is restricted, then I honestly don't think trying to get the Pi/Bone to act as a glorified USB hub and drive combiner is a great idea. It would actually be very tricky to do, and would require a USB storage client drive which emulated a USB drive out of a client USB port (you would probably need the 'bone for this). I'm not aware of anyone who has written anything like this (and that should tell you something).

Of course, you could write your own. How's your C and Kernel development skills?

I also doubt it would be any faster than using a Pi directly as a NAS.

Realistically a standalone NAS is a far better, easier, and probably more useful, project.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2014, 01:27:03 am »
I'm not sure it does. In theory there's nothing stopping you plugging in a hub and putting multiple drives in. If there is, then it's more than likely down to a deliberate restriction in the router (most of these routers are actually running Linux, and the Linux USB storage subsytem supports multiple drives by default). You may need a USB hub with external power.

No, I looked up the allows devices.. you can have 6 partitions and some drive restriction size, but I don't it could look at a hub.

Of course, you could write your own. How's your C and Kernel development skills?

Oh me, I don't want to brag but I would say it's right up there with my brain surgery skills. It's that good.

I also doubt it would be any faster than using a Pi directly as a NAS.

Realistically a standalone NAS is a far better, easier, and probably more useful, project.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking about... I'll file that idea under 'didn't stick to wall'

I'm thinking I might buy a BBB.. it has an OS onboard, I can also write one on SD card and upload it. that sprinkler system is actually something I can use.... so I can play around with the BBB, maybe make a NAS or whatever, just to learn with it... Then if I want a pi I can get it and I can buy that sprinkler board and plug the BBB to it... the one I have now is an old manual system and it's a nightmare trying to adjust all the heads going back and forth to house.

If, I'm reading it right his code is open and maybe I can learn from it as well.... so it seems like a win/win for me on that one.
Gone

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »
Most things on BBB are open. Even the hardware is open source. You can actually manufacture an identical board and sell it if you want...you just can't use the name.
One thing I have had issues with is getting wifi working. Most people have no problems, but even following the instructions to the letter I can't get it working properly.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2014, 05:31:52 pm »
That sort of sounds like yours may be broken... I guess you've totally wiped all the code out of it and started over?

I have not read enough into individual projects to really be able to see any trends on anything. I would expect Wifi to work though.

I think last night I decided to buy a RPi and a BBB. I'm going to get that Sprinkler deal... I've been wanting that for a couple years and really didn't want to get locked into Toro or Rainbird and find their software was not what I wanted.

This sounds like just what I have wanted. I wasn't sure if it was open source or not since it looked like a turn-key deal. What it seems though is that he has non-open version with it's own processor and that one is 'his way'... whereas the BBB and Pi versions are open.

Then I've decided to make RPi media server... so I'm a little unclear though... Mr. Dan ....
It's a NAS, but i's also more than a NAS, it's more like a central server node/data exchange server with central storage and autonomous clients attached.

Are you guys saying I -should- be able to build a NAS(file storage for all my junk basically, runs some sort of batch files and looks at my desktop and sees the new files I have made for the day and backs them up to drive on NAS... perhaps through some naming convention I use)  IOW... let's say on my desktop one day I get an email with a schematic from someone and I print it to pdf on to my desktop. Maybe I prefix it El_flt for Electronics - Filters .... and somewhere on the NAS I have a drive or partition with a folder for Electronics/Schematics/Filters/ it will stick it in there and do that with all my files.... Then I will want perhaps a mirror updated or maybe I will simply run Acronis or whatever... but basically I want to do a very little work in my daily routine and simply by using a naming convention { which maybe could even be stripped off once transfered to NAS } ... let the NAS keep everything sorted and backed up.

AND.... I want a media server.  Which I suppose will be that RaspMSB or whatever it was called... there seems to be XMSB or RaspMSB?   ETA: BMC .. XBMC or RaspBMC

Looking at the links in this.. they sort of make it sound like there is a lot of free content out there but certainly you have to pay for a lot of it right?... or at least that's how it works through my BlueRay player or PC... or maybe I have been looking in the wrong place?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Ultimate-XBMC-Media-Center-Wi-fi-Jailbroken-TV-Blue-Slices-Case-/140981019767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d31fa477

Also am I even close in that all that file sorting stuff above people might use a prog named BASH? Seems it may be something like writing batch files but better?

I went to the book store yesterday and just quickly thumbed through a bunch of magazines and books. Didn't read all of anything but saw a few things that sounded like what i was wanting and they mentioned some of these things... like that BASH for instance...

So for the above.. is that a 1 RPi ordeal or a 2Pi... if the latter I suppose that must mean I've gone full circle and back to not having a clue.  I was starting to think I was approaching maybe Pi/3 but when I start looking at having to jump into code to get what I want I start to see some culture shock in my future.

ETA: --- BTW --- getting in wayback machine.... I realized I have like 7 monitors that are doing nothing right now. I saw a case for the RPi that is basically a VESA mount. It never occurred to me to just mount the thing on a used monitor... Did we ( ok, ok, you all ) figure that I could set up a 'banking Pi' so to speak? Because I also have a couple old wireless keyboards and to be honest if I could make a little banking PC out of spare parts and a Pi for $50.... I will do that too. I think I have checked and yes, now all will accept say Firefox so the IE thing is not necessary for banking and I only have a couple places that still require it but that's for something else. So I could have a banking PC that basically sits unpowered offline most of the time and as easy to move as a small flat panel monitor. Was three any other reason I don't want to do that?

Trying to perhaps make one big order so I don't get $5 - $10 to death in shipping charges trying to do one project at a time.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:35:08 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App