Author Topic: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic  (Read 27545 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
Re: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:15 am »
Unfortunately this can be more difficult to describe than it actually is in practice, so maybe a picture will help.

Here is an example of a system with two physical drives, sda and sdb. The current view shows sdb which has a number of partitions and mapping to mount points in the file system tree:

This was using a graphical partition editor, which is normally how most users would access this these days. As Dan said, Linux is becoming a lot more like WIndows in some respects.

So in this case /dev/sdb7 is the user data partition, but it appears in the file system as /home

99.99% of the time you don't need to care that it is /dev/sdb7. You just know it as /home.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 01:29:53 am »
Ok, I see now.... that seems pretty easy to follow.

----------------

RPi and Linux ... now I didn't realize they run Linux. I thought the Arduino had it's own language and that RPi probably also had it's own. Maybe you all had already told me that but I thought they each had proprietary OSs
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 03:18:57 am »
You won't believe this... I went to the Beaglebone site and started looking at some project's. Saw a SDR(software defined radio) and I'm currently studying for my Extra class license so i check that out.

this guy has a pretty sophisticated deal going with a little iPOD like setup designed all based on public domain stuff. So he has this presentation slide show... and I read through it... at the end is call sign, and address. The guy lives within walking distance of me.

All the way around the world through the Internet and land in my own back yard.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 11:17:29 am »
RPi and Linux ... now I didn't realize they run Linux.

Uuuuh, did you read my first post at all or did you just copy all the links ?  :o

As for coincidences, i keep running into people i know on the internet, but without realising it.
Found an old classmate of mine from highschool on the RPi forums.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »
LOL,,, you mean 4 pages ago....

There's also the fact that for some reason the Linux community LOVES the Pi's,

OK, OK, LOL..... I think I'm starting to catch on.....  I wonder if maybe Legos would be a bit more tuned to my skill level? or perhaps Tinker Toys.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2014, 09:50:21 pm »
Oi ! No trashtalking Lego, i've got a Lego Mindstorms kit here !  :P 8)
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 10:23:50 pm »
Does it run Linux?
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 12:07:14 pm »
The RPi that will eventually control it does  ;)
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 05:09:45 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYCrYT114o

OK.. what do you think of that array of software?

I have a bunch of drives and power supplies for them. All USB.

That seems like it would get me going with RPi... get me going with Linux adn get me a NAS with all these drives that are just taking up space..

But... would you make any substitutions in software?

I also watched this guy and he seems pretty smart.... I could even follow how he tracked down the 'sdb'  drive and identified it based on the stuff you guys showed me above.

So basically I think building a NAS would be a good idea. I know I could do it with a PC or laptop but I don't want a big PC running and don't have an old laptop ..and... if i ever get one... I can certainly 'do it over' with what I learn on the RPi right?

I think... with some rewinds... I can pretty much follow this guy... might need some help... but not too far out there it seems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrKAZ9Y7ZA

So between those two... any special recipe for disaster regarding the software the two of them mention?

Got drives
Got or can get USB hub
Got wires, cables, power, box, etc..
Can get software
Can get RPi or other

What should be on my shopping list / recipe.. brand of Linux, windows access, etc..

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:16 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYCrYT114o

OK.. what do you think of that array of software?

I have a bunch of drives and power supplies for them. All USB.

That seems like it would get me going with RPi... get me going with Linux adn get me a NAS with all these drives that are just taking up space..

But... would you make any substitutions in software?

Unfortunately I can't get your first link to play for me. I skimmed through the second one though.

However, I would tend to go with the recommendations in the video, if only because (I'm assuming in the case of the first video) there's a step-by-step guide there. I'm not heavily into advocating one Open Source project over others as they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I often get people asking me which Linux distro is best. Often it's the one you will have most familiarity with, or find easiest to use. Having a walkthrough video to hand supports the "easier to use".

I've stuck with CentOS for servers for years on the basis I knew Redhat and Mandriva very well. I also knew there were things about Ubuntu, Debian, ArchLinux, and others that made them better for what I was doing in some ways, but not enough to make me switch. Because I see this as "tinkering" as there is no overwhelming thing that makes one Linux distro universally "better" than another. It's swings and roundabouts.

The same largely applies to other applications. Ultimately, what works for you is what is best, and your reasons are different from my reasons.

Having a tutorial video seems like a great reason to follow his recommendations to me.

So basically I think building a NAS would be a good idea. I know I could do it with a PC or laptop but I don't want a big PC running and don't have an old laptop ..and... if i ever get one... I can certainly 'do it over' with what I learn on the RPi right?

With the caveat that it won't be a super-fast NAS. However, that doesn't mean it won't be adequate or useful. It sounds like a good starter project.

And, yes, most of what you learn can be translated to Linux in general, as well as future Pi projects.

What should be on my shopping list / recipe.. brand of Linux, windows access, etc..

The second link was part of a channel which had a whole range of tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaspberryPiBeginners/videos

I would pull out the appropriate ones from this to start. For example:

Prepping the SD Card (Installing the OS)
Loading Debian "squeeze" desktop
Installing software
Webmin

When it comes to which Linux, he doesn't make it completely clear which one he is using, as he starts his series on Fedora and then seems to switch to Debian.

I would, personally, chose Raspbian as it's one of the more common used on the Pi, and should be compatible with most of the instructional videos, including the ones above. It's basically an optimised version of Debian

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 06:11:52 pm »
10-4 will check them out.

Unfortunately that first video was not a tutorial. It was more show and tell. He just has a big plastic box full of wires and drives and RPi and said... the stuff in the comments is what I used.

I honestly didn't think about speed... that's not good... still not a game killer becasue perhaps I could set things up to run over night for backups, copies, etc..

I just assumed it would run at a reasonable speed.

Oh... this was my find... I wouldn't mind doing something like this and have a bunch of lights already that are no longer in use. Might be nice to get something like that going.... it seems pretty easy... but who knows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1daIb1LVc
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 06:47:11 pm »
I just assumed it would run at a reasonable speed.

It probably will. As I said it won't be super fast. A lot depends on what you intend to use it for. I suspect it would easily be good enough for music streaming, and possible for video streaming, depending on the files (long full HD bluray rips might not work reliably).

It probably wouldn't work for recording to with a DAW app. In that case you are best to store the files on a local hard drive and use the NAS for backup or sharing.

At the end of the day, it should work at a reasonable speed and, even if you use it to store your photos and day to day documents, a NAS is an incredibly useful thing to have.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »
That pretty much outlines my use. No I would never try to record to it.... I have enough problems without looking for them.

But yeah, I just really need a central files storage area and streaming some vids or music would be nice. If I didn't already have several external drives I might go another route bu they are getting in my way. Be nice to have them all in a box hanging off a router.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:28 pm »
I set up and installed a 'Drobo' NAS box in November, for our in-house studio bods to store all their post production video and images on so our marketing lads can get to them easy. That's five WD Red 3TB drives, with 8.9TB usable in total after maximum file integrity options were kicked in.

So far, the control dashboard software tells me they've still only used less than 1% of the available storage on it.

I reckon they should give it to me and they can use one of my portable drives ......... and I'll show them how to use storage space  ;D

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »
I reckon they should give it to me and they can use one of my portable drives ......... and I'll show them how to use storage space  ;D

I suspect they won't think your pr0n collection is a good use of their assets.

;)

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App