Author Topic: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic  (Read 31052 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: The big 'ole Raspberry Pi topic
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »
Ah, good, that should keep the cost down... They tend to go on sale because people mostly want the bigger ones. You know... I think my card in something is a Transend... Maybe it's in my camera.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2014, 12:52:54 am »
http://www.coocox.org/epi.html
Just leaving this here for the Arduino crowd who would love to get into the RPi but can't because their Arduino stuff wouldn't easily be connected/interfaced with an RPi.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2014, 01:10:32 am »
This stuff is growing like wildfire. Have you seen those new RPi boards that have the plugin cpu boards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0S7U-T8V0

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:21 am »
Actually missed that entirely, thanks for the link, looks like another little something that could be of real use for my plot to attain world domination tinkering needs  8)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:10 am »
I guess at the end of the day, This thing ain't too shabby either... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPs8Jp2BBw4
It costs more but it seems to do quite a bit as well.

Gone

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2014, 02:31:56 am »
Not exactly pi, but I got the old beaglebone black off the shelf yesterday and put their new Debian distribution on there. It runs a lot better. I can even almost get wifi working. I'm using it as a headless system to control a small robot, so being able to get in through wifi would be huge. I'm using bluetooth now as a bandaid for data transfer, but would like to use the BT module for something else.

Dan, I ' m wondering if you can help me with this. In Wicd I can see my wireless, but it just times out trying to verify the access point connection when I put a static IP, or when trying to acquire an IP with DHCP. I've been over this all day and got nothing. If I disable the verification, it claims to connect fine, but there's no entries for the BBB in my clients table on the router, and it can't communicate out.

If you could point me in the right direction, I would be really grateful. Heck, I'd be glad just to get a direction that leads outside these circles I've been running around in all day trying to track this down.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2014, 03:15:50 am »
If it's showing up in your router I don't think I would believe what it's telling you about connecting.

I had a bit of go round when I changed my router and getting the RBMC back online but it was more a matter of telling R-BMC to forget everything it ever knew about IP addresses then rebooting a couple times. Sort of 3rd time's the charm deal. In my way of thinking it -should- have worked the first time and I have no idea why it didn't.

There's a new one out now named BananaPi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5pOiAMnUnw

BBB - some WiFi info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9nUqYMjqs

Gone

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2014, 03:46:48 am »
I reflashed the OS on it twice today, so I'm coming from a clean install. I put the bit about the router in because it may tell something important to someone more knowledgeable than I am, which would seem to be most three year olds and small puppies.

Derek Molloy has some great vidoes and blog, I was looking at the video you linked today. I used some of his stuff to get a few test projects working last year. He has some really nicely put together tutorials.

That banana pi looks cool. It looks like it is ready made for a media center.

This is going to be an interesting one coming out soon.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardTre

Depending on price, it may be a real contender in the Beaglebone/Pi marketplace. It looks like it has both the headers from a Beaglebone black and an arduino, which means loads of GPIO.

I'm also thinking of getting this a Galileo to tinker with. The idea of an intel processor on one of these just seems cool.
www.adafruit.com/products/1637

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2014, 04:32:01 am »
Yeah if your BBB is set up for acquire an IP via DHCP ( DHCP client ) which is totally different from handing out IP addresses as a DHCP server btw..... then it should sit there and wait for an IP.

Now in it's waiting, it may say, yep I'm cool, everything is working fine.

BUT... Your router is most likely NOT going be handing out addresses say from number 1-5 and show a report of.

Address 1 - Desktop PC
Address 2 - Laptop
Address 3 - Smart TV

and then that's it... it shows no more connections BUT your BBB says everything is cool, I'm connected.

It may tell you everything is cool from a lower level meaning it sees all the electrical signals and such but it doesn't really have a connection to the Router. Much the same way you might see your neighbors Router. You PC says, yep, I see it, I'm cool,... but it's not 'connected with an IP address'.

Have you gotten to anywhere that you need to input a password? It could be simply that. In fact, now that I recall. On my RBMC I had a problem entering the password... I was using a remote connection and for some reason I ended up having to enter it directly from the mouse by picking letters and numbers. I just remembered that.

So connected and acquire an IP address are two different things, but the fact it says you are connected sounds like you are very close.

I just don't know much about Linux to give you any any more insight. That's just general plumbing info, same for all OS.

Gone

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2014, 05:06:25 am »
Yeah, it can see the access point. I can change the security settings in the router admin and it's reflected when I refresh the list on the BBB. I tried changing the password around earlier, and got an invalid password error, so that's working.

It says connected if I provide a static IP and bypass the access point connection validation. If I use DHCP to have one assigned by the router, it fails at that point regardless. Both of these appear to be at the same point in the connection process judging from the logs.

Like you, I just don't know enough about Linux to know what's going on. I'll probably ask on one of the forums for this later, but wanted to make sure it's not someting simple first.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2014, 05:24:49 am »
You're not trying to type the wrong PW are you.

You know the router has a PW to get into it's admin console then it SSID with it's PW.

Router named Home Router w/PW = HR_pw

SSID = Guitar w/PW = Blues   ---- You want this info in your BBB... not the stuff above.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2014, 07:15:17 am »
I'll need more details, like which WiFi dongle you're using, what make and model router, what security protocol you're using (WPA/WPA2, which authkey, so WPA-PSK or enterprise, and which encryption, TKIP or CCMP).

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »
Well, time to dig up this puppy as well...
Anyone else excited about the RPi 2.0 ?
I know TB-AV is, and i am for sure ever since i started running a website off one of my Pi's, but...
Anyone else ?

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2015, 07:58:31 pm »
ooooh...didn't even know there was one coming. What's new?

This news comes at a good time. I recently picked up a 3D printer, and have dug out some of my old micro-controller projects now that I can fab up parts I need more easily.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2015, 08:04:34 pm »
Quadcore ARMv7A processor @ 900 mhz, easily pushed to over 1ghz, 1 Gb of RAM, 4 USB ports like the RPi B+, MicroSD use instead of SD, same GPU still, less power consumption, and it just works a LOT faster for many applications, as seen in the video by RPi tv

Get The Forum As A Mobile App