Author Topic: Albert King Style  (Read 7862 times)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Albert King Style
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:44:34 am »
Lick at bar 7 is impossibly fast. Any advice on how to play this? Is it like a rake? How do you play it cleanly?

Thinking I just have to come to grips with the fact that I don't have fast enough fingers to play some licks. :O/
Insert humorous signature here.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Albert King Style
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:03 am »
if you don't want to cheat don't watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FqbDWw_ukA

:)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:27 am »
I know the notes to play, I just can't play them. And no offense, but it doesn't sound like you played them all either. ;O)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:40:13 am »
Just to be clear, it's specifically that lick in bar 7 that is a bend on the third string followed by 5th fret notes on the second and first string, all in perhaps a tenth of a second. Imconceivable!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:09:55 am »
I don;t have it handy to listen to right now but yes, ... the following is pick direction per note....

down, down, down -- that equates to the word "the" in guitar speak... most played lick on earth.

down, down, down,  -- however,, you can play it down, down, up or if you play with fingers like me...

down, down, up with other finger... At any rate... you want to nail those first three notes as readily as you say the word "the" and then the 10th fret you are already planning to go to that and nail it. So really all you are thinking about is starting the "the" lick and then simply nailing that A note.

So if it were really fast, yes, I would rake it.

Go to 4:07 in this vid... Basically the same thing. this lick in AK lesson is b5 5 1 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHtPYZRVeGI

Ok, so that's the first 4 notes. the last 5 notes are basically just an am or A chord so barre the first three strings at 5... and again, I would probably pick up but use more than one finger. I would need to hear it again to see just how it sounds and maybe that 6 fret is a hammer.

At any rate... from the instant you begin to bend that first note, start thinking about landing that 10th fret. As you sustain the 10th fret note think about landing the barre portion of an A chord and then fill the notes in... the 7 5 6 part.

so it's
Begin - Bend
Nail 10
Nail mini-barre
Fill in chord  ( which is Am to A  -b3 to 3- )

So try not to look at it as individual notes but two chunks with the last chunk simply being an am to a chord. Like ... Lick + Chord
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:48:38 pm »
I'm not sure I got all of that, but thanks; that definitely helps; the idea of visualizing ahead. You are hitting the 10 on the B string with your what finger? I'm thinking the fastest I can play this is bar the e and B at 5 with index, bend (curl really) 7 on G and hit 5 on B and then E all in one rake, slide up and hit the 10 with index or middle. I kept trying to play it with ring, but I think I have to leave the ring touching the G string to mute it out after the bend or it all sounds like ass.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:23:24 am »
No... play the a note 10th with ring finger.

When you barre eb leave enough of finger tip to touch g. In fact, if I roll my finger tip forward, towards my body, I would be barring ebg... but like you say eb then bend g... but it's eb(mute-g).

You don;t want to play that a note with index finger. Also when you jump up to play that note your index tip is dragging on the g muting it even more.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:30:52 am »
You are exactly right. I tried it the other way and it's a much bigger jump than with the ring. I almost have it in time now. I can't seem to get the funky "pop" to the notes in the second half of the bar like justin, but oh well. he is definitely picking every note there, though; you can hear the attack of the pick in how the notes sound; they "pop."

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:25:11 am »
Ok, I was going to post a vid but since you got it... I actually can't remember what it sounds like. I'll have to hear it again but if the popping is what I think you pretty much need to grab the string so it slaps back down on the neck.

Ok, just listened.

down. da da dot dah

then up up down up down   or up up up dn up

It's really about the timing..... maybe that what you mean about popping
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:30:41 am »
actually that last one might be up dn up dn up which leads to next part which is dn
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:31:06 pm »
What I mean is that in all the notes in the second half of the bar, including the final 6 th fret note on the G string, you can hear the pick attack the string in a way that a hammer-on does not. If you picture the waveform from a DAW, for example, a picked note starts with a noticeably peak in the amplitude and then rapidly drops to the sustained level of the note. You can control that "pop" to the note via the pick attack. A hammered note just sort of starts at the sustained level without and peak or pop at the start.

Not sure that makes any sense outside my head.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »
Try the up dn up dn up .. .that should do it for you. It's a bit odd for me because I pick up for many using my fingers and no pick.

But try starting the second half up dn up dn up ... it's really about hearing that timing though because you can make it work either way   and yes, I agree those are picked notes.... unless he catches that last note by hybrid picking... he does have those finger nails you know......

I played it a couple times and it sounded just right but I could remember exactly what I did when I tried to slow it down.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:04 pm »
You may be right about the hybrid picking. That would certainly be faster.

Offline bluecheese

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »
Bar 8. 
I agree with the first 3 notes in this bar, but not the following 4. 
The transcription says A pull off to G  (1st string- E), then E (2nd string - B) and C (third string - G). 
I think it should be A (1st string) to G (2nd string), then E (2nd) then C (3rd string). 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App