Author Topic: What would cause win 7 - 64 to not see back past User Dir  (Read 974 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
What would cause win 7 - 64 to not see back past User Dir
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:18:41 pm »
I have a situation where let's say my only User account is DAW and it's administrator. No login, you just start windows and boom there you are up and running.

Now here is the issue. Some programs seem to have a little problem browsing backwards like when they open windows for you to select folder and files from.

For instance one prog might ask.. ok, where are your photos,,, so you click browse and it lands on ...

Desktop
--ABC Folder

Now I really want JKL folder but you can't see it. So I click Desktop and OK.. that results in
Desktop

I then click Desktop and all the stuff on the Desktop shows up.

Desktop
---ABC
---DEF
---ETC
plus all the individual files

That seems odd... like why couldn't I see all that stuff before if I clicked on Desktop?

=== OK, now here is my new issue that I actually can't work past.

Trying to install a Native Instruments product. There are clear directions as to how to install and how to choose drives and all that. It runs in a window ( as does scenario above ) but here is what I see.

DESKTOP
--DAW ( remember this is a user account name too )
---- all folders and files under DAW

... and that is it... no going above that location towards Root... DAW is located here.

C:\Users\DAW

The program begins to install in C:\Program Files\etc   so I know it can see all the way back to C:

the only two common situations I see are ...
A. It always involves an operation in a window that has popped up.
B. It keys off of the Desktop of the user DAW

No love from NI, no love from Google, Bing, or the many many people that viewed the very clearly written and even animated gif demonstration. So IOW it's not like I'm being misunderstood.

Does anyone know of anything in windows 7 64 that would cause this sort behavior.

I know windows has ACL mine is set to OFF or do not alert. I know you can set context points in windows and frankly that is over my head but for instance  a program might set the TEMP directory to be a certain place or another program might set some locations where it finds or uses things for lack of a better description.

Is there anything I can do to somehow figure out WTH is going on? It seems like it is some sort of "rights" issue but even running the program "run as administrator" has no change.

It sort of seems like when programs ask do you want to install for just you or for everyone but it's not actually asking. Actually it is more like... ok, you are restricted to only using these resources...

OH, BTW, yes,,, I have other drives running and basically wanted to install some of it to D:. D: is simply a typical SATA drive in use since day one. Basically nothing unusual in any way.

It's basically a one user admin level PC that for whatever reason get's crippled when certain browsing windows open.... That's my uneducated explanation and summary as to what I think I'm seeing.

I would really love to figure this out. I've run Malwqare Bytes, CCClean, RegClearner and removed any stray mess. No changes.

Anybody got any ideas or even a "I don't know but if you ask _______ they probably will know what's going on" ... I honestly don't think I've ever seen a problem where I couldn't find any reference to it on search engine.

I really hate to re-install Win7 especially if I don't know what caused it to begin with. Maybe I turned some service off... who knows. Otherwise everything is up to date as far as I know.

I had a similar issue searching a while back and mentioned I had indexing off. I have since turned that on... that's the only other thing I can think is that I did some sort of "turn this off tweak" for audio but damn, I'm certainly not the first person to do that and try to install a NI product.

anyway... if anyone has any ideas.....

Looks like this.... http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35655&d=1390915688
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: What would cause win 7 - 64 to not see back past User Dir
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:08 pm »
I'd try restoring all the defaults in the "Folder and Search Options" and if it's something that started recently, roll your computer back using a system restore point. Also; run Rkill and TDS Killer in safe mode before running your antivirus and anti-malware apps.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:54:37 pm »
I just watched your video.. That is strange.. looks like an issue with the installer.. Maybe Dan or one of the other Gurus here knows...
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:11:09 pm »
Tried the reset/default... didn't work

I did have to reboot my pc about 4 times before it would boot up though... I have had this happen recently on something else.

I wonder if I have a corrupt windows file? although it does look like the installer to me too.

This is the one thing I really hate about windows.. when you get a lot of time and configuration invested in a system, it get's so convoluted that when something goes wrong you have no idea what it might be and it doesn't like to "changed back"

Not familiar with those progs.. will check them.... what are you using for virus these days? Have you tried win 8.1?
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:05:22 pm »

Not familiar with those progs.. will check them.... what are you using for virus these days? Have you tried win 8.1?

Win7 with SSD drives.

I heard Steve Balmer once say that Windows 98 was bug fix # 3000 for Windows 95. Since then I try to stay away from new operating systems until they've been out for a couple years or more.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:25:55 pm »
Me too... I've just heard several peole say win 8.1 was actually a little better than 7. In fact there was guy on Reaper that claimed he worked with development testing for the audio aspects of win 8 and how it handled things like audio, plugins, etc.. ... and he claimed they went that route.

Who knows though..... and that might not solve my problem. I sent an email to InstallAware and just asked if that be related to their product... I don't expect to hear from them.

Sent an email to that Black Viper guy..... don't expect to hear from him either.

In fact, lol, from what i'm reading on NI forum... I might not hear from NI!.

It just seems like it's a "oh, this is set wrong" problem... but like Bill Clinton... I can't figure out what the definition of "is" is.
Gone

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:39:59 pm »
--ABC Folder

Now I really want JKL folder but you can't see it. So I click Desktop and OK.. that results in
Desktop

I then click Desktop and all the stuff on the Desktop shows up.

Desktop
---ABC
---DEF
---ETC
plus all the individual files

That seems odd... like why couldn't I see all that stuff before if I clicked on Desktop?

That's how it seems to (not) work for me, both on my home PC and at work (both on Win7). It's bloody annoying, but currently pales into insignificance compared to the upgrade we've had from Office 2003 to Office 2010  (which just sucks more than the most sucky thing you can think of ... squared! >:( >:( ).

I would be interested in the answer...

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:38 pm »
Oh really! ... I can sort of see someone thinking that was a good idea because of the context.

For instance in my application.... I tell my app that my base directory will be Desktop. So I run the app look for some photos and use them... Then,,, I make new directory on my desktop with some new photos I have taken.... Then I open my app again say ok, let's go get some pictures..... We it could argue that ok, I'm going to show you the Desktop folder and the last folder you used .... perhaps thinking it's cutting down the clutter or something.... It's still a pisser but at least someone else has actually seen this behavior.

So that makes me think even more that the installer from NI is to blame. Especially since it clearly sees my root directory but won't allow me to even access an area that it clearly can see.... like some other area based directly off C:\    much less D:\ ... and they specifically tell you to put it all on it's own drive if you can.

I thought the two may be related but now I no longer do. The other problem is they tell you you have to run the installer off the DVD.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App