Author Topic: One Minute Changes App - how to make it work  (Read 5426 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
Re: One Minute Changes App - how to make it work
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »
One minute changes are there as a training method to: "Enable you to make the chord changes at tempo in a song."

@pjby:  Can you set a metronome at 60BPM strum one chord on each click for 4 beats/clicks, one bar, all down strums, and then get to another chord in time on the fifth click, the one of the next bar?  If you can do that with and between the A, E, and D chords, you have effectively accomplished the intent of the exercise. 

Many times issues like these are related to trying to go too fast too soon.  Oddly enough to go fast you need to go slow.  Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

You might try something like this | A A A A | D D D D | E E E E | one down strum on each click of the metronome - or you might start only hitting the chord on the first click, letting 3 more click by and then hitting the new chord; so A 2 3 4 D 2 3 4 A 2 3 4 as slow as you need to go. 

Also spend some time doing One Minute Changes slower.  Forget about the timer.  Just nice loose and relaxed, shift between the chords.  Maybe even not shift.  Grab the D chord, lift it off, grab it again, lift it off, grab it again, slow, mellow, relaxed.  Repeat with the others and SLOWLY start to go faster.

Play some of the A D E songs.  Slow them down so you can make the changes.

@set:  I think people get way too hung up on the numbers, but I do think one minute changes it is a good tool.  It is not the hammers fault if people decide to bash themselves in the head with it.

On the one hand, rarely if ever will you be required to change between one chord and another over and over for a minute.  On the other hand you will need to be able to say, change between one chord and some other chord in tempo,  at least that fast - and eventually way faster than the target speed of the exercise.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline HeatherBug

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 04:54:22 pm »
To pjby
I am also working on the beginners course. Have you tried playing some of the songs from stage 1 in the songbook and the website? They all use the A, D, and E chords. I've found that is a more fun way to practice the chords. I do my 5 minutes worth of one minute changes and then move on to the songs to keep from getting bored (plus my hand still gets tired

Offline Luvntravln

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • It Is Never Too Late!
    • Nature Interpreted
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 08:48:46 pm »
In doing the training exercise which I think is a great tool, do you strum between changes or do you just change back and forth?

BC started December 2014

Guitar: Martin Steel String Backpacker Guitar

Offline HeatherBug

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »
Personally I strum the chord once, change to the next chord and strum it, then change back and strum, etc.  I know the point of this exercise is speed, but if I want to make sure I'm at least getting a decent chord.  To me it makes more sense to be able to change quickly to chords that sound like chords rather than just moving my fingers quickly but creating a horrible noise.  I don't worry if they aren't perfect, but if I totally miss, I fix it and strum it again.  I think it makes my times slower, but I think its paying off in playing songs.  I've just started working on forcing the changes and playing 4 down strums per bar.  If I don't hit the chord perfectly on the first strum, I can get it corrected by the second strum.
Just my 2 cents worth!  :)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 09:19:29 pm »
In doing the training exercise which I think is a great tool, do you strum between changes or do you just change back and forth?

You strum once and then change.  You should check out the one minute chord changes lesson if you haven't already.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Nicoletor14

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »
Hey,

I know it's a bit late. I started playing guitar like a month ago and I started programming a website for making those "1 minute changes".

I don't know how much it will take but if you want I can notify you when it finish.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App