Author Topic: One Minute Changes App - how to make it work  (Read 5037 times)

Offline GoBama84

• Good Vibes 0
One Minute Changes App - how to make it work
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »
This is my 1st post.  I did search with no luck.
Can anyone that has this app tell me how it works.  I have an iPhone 4s.  It doesn't seem to do anything.

I turned 60 yrs old this week and just bought my 1st guitar on 29 Dec.

Thanks!!

Loyd

Offline GoBama84

• Good Vibes 0
Re: One Minute Changes App
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:21:06 pm »
86 views and not 1 comment.  Thanks everyone.  The least you someone could have done is say "welcome" since I mentioned it was my first post.  Maybe an "I haven't seen that app or don't know what you are asking", heck anything would have been appreciated .  Maybe because I'm 60 and too old for some of you.  I don't know.
I'm not going to give up on this site yet as I think Justin is a great instructor.  I'll just keep looking at other's questions being answered and learn from that.

Take care.
Loyd

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:40:30 pm »
Sorry. I don't suspect anyone was intentionally ignoring you. I think a lot of us use the Unread Posts link to see what's new. Sometimes there are posts that get looked at but left unanswered. I think people figure someone more qualified will be along soon enough.

It has nothing to do with your age. I believe you'll find that the 50 to 70 age range is surprisingly well represented here. The numbers aren't huge, but certainly greater than I'd expected.

I don't have an answer to your question, but just wanted to say hi. Welcome to the forums.

Oh, and happy birthday.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:35:06 am »
Welcome to the forum Loyd. I don't have the app either so can't comment on your question.

Happy birthday your going to get a lot of enjoyment out of playing guitar.
I'm getting up there in age as well I'm 53 

Rick

Offline Tricky Dicky

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:02 am »
I have the app on iPad, but I've not really played with it yet. Before it was available I had my own changes method using a grid I'd made up with a Microsoft excel spreadsheet. Nothing automatic but it allows me to track what I've done and see patterns of what I'm not good at. I'll play with Justins app at some point, but I'm not sure what it can add.

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
dd
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:05:55 am »
Hello

I may be getting this wrong but this is the way it seems to work to me.

To start using the app, you either click on the 'Add chords' button and then indicate which chords you wish to work on, or you can click on 'Start Training' and then on 'Random Chords' - but then you may be prompted to work on chords that you haven't yet learned.
Once you've added chords, click on 'Start Training' and then on 'Problem Chords'

Offline monte258

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:31:42 pm »
I'm with you brother! I'm 65 and although I've been using Justin's web site for about 8 months and have purchased the beginner course DVDs, this is my first post too. I'm trying to find some info on One Minute Changes that addresses specifically doing them without looking. I can do a lot of them close to or at 60 times a minute but not without looking. I assume somebody will tell me to just start doing them without looking but wanted some guidance on the best way to work that in with the One Minute Changes. Anyway, I'll welcome you - and maybe somebody will welcome me - but I'll keep looking for this topic somewhere else and will do the proper post there. Also, sorry about Bama's lose last night - great game though.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:48:01 pm »
Welcome yo the forum Monte.
The easiest way no to look when playing is to stop looking when you're practicing. Use your ears and
not your eyes. Start with one chord(any chord) strum it take your hand off the guitar then repeat the
chord. Try playing a chord tough your knee, play the chord tough your knee. Start slow and don't look.

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 05:29:33 pm »
Hello monte258!
The best way that i found is to play in front of a mirror, BUT don't get too dependent on it, unfortunately i did for a while when i couldn't play without looking at a mirror, so do like a week playing with the mirror and a week without it and see how this will work for you. I learned all my chords this way even barre chords so it does work just don't get too dependent on it.
Good luck!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 09:38:22 am »
Hello and welcome everyone.
I can't help with the original question.
I've only just got my 1st smartphone and have not got the apps.
I'm moving this to the appropriate part of the forum.

ps
young and old all live happily here.
:)

Offline Chappo

• Good Vibes 0
Re: One Minute Changes App - how to make it work
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 11:40:10 am »
Well I'm 58, and after using Justin for Ukulele stuff, he's gone and converted me to my first guitar. So I bought the beginners book, which is fabulous, and the Minute changes app. My question is how do I log my scores. It clearly says SCORES In the menu, but how do I tell it?
Your never too old to learn
 Thanks guys

Offline Billy58

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:58:40 pm »
Hi guys and girls, I've not long joined either and have just bought myself an acoustic guitar at the tender age of 56. I did used to mess around trying to play about 20 or more years back. but hey, we all know that some times the time is never right..anyway, about this one min app thing. I have it on my samsung s4, which I am told the kids call a "droid", so far i have only been using it for chord changes and what you have to do on the "droid" app is open the main screen of the app, select the button that says "new list", press he dropdown button and select your 1st chord, next drop down select 2nd chord and then press "save", there is a button which will allow you to enter a 3 chord sequence but as yet I have not tried that but i am surmising that it will work the same way a the 2 chord thingy. All your 2 chord sequences you have saved can be accessed via the bottom right menu button( on the droid it is anyway) and any sequence you wish to re-practice can be found on there.. hope this is understandable and helps out, if not then lets all go have a beer..
Billy

Offline phx1973

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:37:21 pm »
I downloaded the one minute changes app too but honestly prefer using my own spreadsheet setup so I can track my improvement over time. Definitely a good tool though.
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation I
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Fender Mustang II

Offline pjby

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 09:45:47 pm »
Hi. First time here. I am 52 and how now been 'stuck' on the EDA 1minute chord changes for nearly 6 months. The most I can do is 30 in a minute, but sound awful. The end of my first finger is so hard the string often slips off. How long do you persevere for before you admit the Guitar just is not for you. I have been practicing most evening for half an hour or so. Another problem is that as I have not moved on at all boredom is starting to creep in. ANY ADVICE WELCOME

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 10:03:50 pm »
I'll probably get beat up for this but here goes.  Stop worrying about 1 minute chord changes.  Please! Just stop it already.

How many songs changes chords 60 times in a minute, or 45 times, or even 30 times?

I can't think of any beginner type songs off the top of my head. There are none!! Concentrate on clean changes and clean strumming, speed will come when you least expect it to.

pjby, takes those chords and start making music, learn some songs, or start learning a different set of chords.

Take your EDA every night, change between them 20 times and go on to a new set of chords or start learning some songs.  Do this every night until you are so sick of making those changes you can do it in your sleep.  Speed will come, and when it does, you will ask yourself why in the heck did you spend so much time worrying about making fast chord changes when 90% of the time you will never make those changes as fast as you are trying to do them.

1 minute chord changes are for those people who can make clean chord changes and wants to practice on changing them fast when the need does arise.  It will arise, but stop worrying about them for now.

When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Get The Forum As A Mobile App