Author Topic: sick of major chords  (Read 3431 times)

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
sick of major chords
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »
am pretty sick of these major chords i feel like after i learned the barred major and minor chords that i cant do anything with em those chords feel just generic i just dont want to use em does anyone have any sort of idea about some interesting sounding chords or apeggios or something that isnt a cut of the usual sounding stuff. also am not a metal head so am not really looking for something that is dark as metal
"He said, for a nominal service charge,
I could reach Nirvana t'nite"
frank zappa

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
Re: sick of major chords
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:47:50 pm »
hmm...try like an Gb Major barrred chord, but let the two thinnest strings be open. you can move that shape up and down.

Have you learnt sus chords?

Play the D major. then move the 2nd fret on the G string one fret up, and the finger on the E string down to the first fret. strum again. that sounds nice. :P
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline MaxHallden

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:19:04 pm »
You can learn triads all over the neck. It really opens your eyes and you will find new fun ways to play chords.
Its also easy to learn & play maj, min, dim, aug an so on this way.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-151-TriadGrips.php

If you want learn the Major 7 & Minor 7 shapes, it sounds really sweet sometimes, also available on justins site.

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:00:26 pm »
Sweet thx for the reply guys I will check those suspended chords and triads right away :D
"He said, for a nominal service charge,
I could reach Nirvana t'nite"
frank zappa

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:57:48 pm »
Don't play teh same kind of chord back to back. If you play all of the same type chord it just sounds boring.

Maj7 min 9th Maj min7 Dom7 ... not necessarily that order but maybe a mix like that. that sounds a lot more interesting than Maj Maj Maj Maj.... if you experiment with this you will find that a very basic Maj chord can suddenly sound very strong and exciting after it follows some other chords.

You have to remember... he whole thing about music is that your ears are constantly hearing and accepting.

They hear something new then they get used to it, then they hear something new and get used to that but retain for a bit the first stuff they heard. If all you ever give them are Maj Maj Maj they get bored.... unless of course you have a nice melody going on in which case they may latch on to that which will most likely have the notes from those other type chords anyway.

9th 11th 13th dom7, minor.... all those type chords can be fit together.. Even if all you do is lift a finger or two or do a hammer on. It's still changing the chord from say a Maj to sus to 9th or whatever.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App