Author Topic: Mix Clinic? Scooter Trash and TB-AV?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Mix Clinic? Scooter Trash and TB-AV?
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:46:13 pm »
Would anybody be interested in a longer term, in depth discussion of production and mixing? Particularly, would Scooter Trash and TB-AV be interested in guiding such a discussion, since you guys seem to be pros?

Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Mix Clinic? Scooter Trash and TB-AV?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:52:06 pm »
My background is in live sound reinforcement (20+years).. Only been recording for 3 years but would be willing to share whatever I can.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:54:36 pm »
So it took me forever to get around to multi-tracking a recording that we could use for this (I've been recording everything live to my looper pedal lately, so you have no control over the mix afterward), but I finally recorded something with multiple tracks:

https://soundcloud.com/borodog/down-on-the-corner-cover

This will never be a great track because I am not a great musician or singer. But it could probably be a better track with a better mix. If anyone would like to critique the mix or make suggestions about how to improve it, I am all ears.

The individual track I have are:

- 100 bpm click track (silent, of course)
- Cowbell (mono)
- Shaker (mono)
- Hi hat (stereo)
- Bass drum + snare (stereo)
- Rhythm guitar (mono)
- "Riff" guitar (mono)
- Main vocal (mono. This track is "wet"; I recorded the vocal through my guitar effects processor to get the sound, so there is currently no dry vocal track, although recording one would be easy enough)
- Chorus harmony vocal (mono. This track was created by pitch shifting the man vocal by a major third. I am not wedded to this; I have no idea really how to make harmonies)

The track has no bass guitar on it, as I cannot hear one on the original.

Thanks for your time.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 11:33:50 pm »
Take some highs out of the shaker and pan it left -like in  the original.
Snare could be fattened up. Also add some reverb to the snare with a  bit of pre-delay.
You could blend your distorted vocal on a parallel channel with a dry vocal (and some reverb/delay) but the distorted vocal alone really just sounds like a bad recording. There are lots of plugins that might work better for the distortion.
The foundation of the song - especially the intro is the shaker, snare, guitar bass line, and cowbell. If ikt's supposed to be a cover, I would try to get those sounding as close to the original as possible.
If you can record a clean vocal track and make the other layers available, I'd be happy to play with them and see what other recommendations might be helpful.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:22:07 am »
I'll tell you anything I can but I am definitely no pro.

I think you do need to define some direction in the tracking process though. Then each track should 'fit' with as little effort as possible.

Also there should be one track or maybe two or three, that define the feel and character of the song.

so you need to ask does the rhythm guitar sound good and feel good. Same with vocal. Does it feel right.

You should be able to take most any 1 to 3 tracks and really get feel. Also it's great if they are already tracked to work together tonally. You can alter some of that like take a clean guitar and run it through amp models rather than try to EQ what you recorded.

But I would try to make a two track mono mix. Record two tracks of anything that .....

A. Convey the song
B. Feel right
C. Sound really good together without adding anything.
D. adding a little reverb(maybe) and turning up the volume and it still sounds even better.
E. takes very little of anything else to make it sound any better.

Let that form the standard for everything you add after. If the additions make things worse try to replay them with the proper voice and feel.

IOW, just because a song has 12 instruments. Don't simply lay them down on tracks and say ok, now I'll fix them to sound nice. Make them sound nice as they are made.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:42:40 pm »
Thanks, guys.

After this and some other feedback I got on another forum, I will be re-recording a new drum track and a dry vocal, minimum. I may even re-record the guitars as well. I'm unsure about whether to add in a bass track, as it exactly doubles the "riff" guitar and doesn't seem like it would add much.

It will probably be a few days or a week before I can get all that done.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »
guitar doubling a bass is a classic mixing technique. It fattens the sound.

Listen from 5:30 to 6:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QA9ydTb_bM

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App