Author Topic: I don't want to electrocute myself  (Read 2423 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline JordanD

  • School Prom Hero
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Good Vibes 1
I don't want to electrocute myself
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:58:01 pm »
Hi there, I recently managed to rescue an abandoned stagg bass, I have no bass amp to plug into but do have my Fender super champ. For this I have a few questions:


The bass was damp, If I dry it out will it be OK?
Can I damage my amplifier doing this? And
Will I go into cardiac arrest after touching the bass.

Thank you for putting up with my ignorance.
You must be Born Again. - John 3v3
Gibson J-200
Gibson SG Special, Fender Super Champ x2

Offline stitch101

  • All Time Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 5449
  • Good Vibes 247
Re: I don't want to electrocute myself
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:37:14 pm »
Dry it out and it should be fine. You may need to get some contact cleaner to clean out the pots and any
corrosion that may have taken place when it was wet.

If you plug it into your guitar amp Which I DON'T recommend make sure the amp and the guitar are both
turned right down as low as they will go. A bass guitar can blow the speaker in your amp.

 

Offline JordanD

  • School Prom Hero
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: I don't want to electrocute myself
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:51 pm »
That's alright, so the bass will be fine, but to clarify the guitar amp is a slippery slope and at the risk of Marty McFlying my Amp's speaker.

Cheers for the help, I rely a lot more on everyone than I manage to give back, lol.
You must be Born Again. - John 3v3
Gibson J-200
Gibson SG Special, Fender Super Champ x2

Offline agj

  • Stadium Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: I don't want to electrocute myself
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:56:13 pm »
If it's been kept in a damp environment then I'd be more concerned about the state of the neck.
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline Cue Zephyr

  • All Time Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 6476
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
Re: I don't want to electrocute myself
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 03:37:04 pm »
If it's been kept in a damp environment then I'd be more concerned about the state of the neck.

Exactly my thoughts.

Be careful with plugging a bass into a small amp like that. I suppose you're gonna be alright if you don't turn it up loud. If you do, you might put your speakers and OT at risk.

And, as long as you don't use the below, you'll be fine.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline Biggles

  • School Prom Hero
  • **
  • Posts: 25
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: I don't want to electrocute myself
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:39:24 pm »
OK so there has been no post in this thread for 120 days but my info may help others.

Connect up your electrical gear via a socket that has a 30mA RCD circuit breaker as its safety device.

If your socket does not have such a device or you are unsure then a plug in adaptor is available from B&Q (other DIY stores are available), you then plug in your kit into the adaptor.

Additionally you could have a surge arrestor in the circuit.

If I am away from hime I plug in the RCD adaptor into a socket at the venue and then plug in my 6 gang surge arrestor protected extension lead into the adaptor.  All my kit (pedal board, amp and mixer) are plugged into the adaptor.

Hope this helps.

 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App