Author Topic: Faith Naked Series  (Read 6274 times)

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Faith Naked Series
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 01:13:39 pm »
Sorry to bump again.  Another question:

Everything else being equal (other than price), is lack of binding really bad?

I understand that it helps protect the edges from dints, and that the binding can look nice.  However, I also read somewhere that it could help prevent the different sections of the guitar separating, for example the top coming away from the sides.  Is that complete rubbish if the guitar has been built properly?

I might pop down to the shop later this week so I'm just wondering what your opinion on lack of binding is?

Thank you.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 01:25:22 pm »
A decent guitar will be well made, binding or not.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 02:03:24 pm »
Maybe originally binding was used as a sort of reinforcement for keeping glued edges together but these days it's just for aesthetics. Personally, I'm not a fan of too much binding. As an example, I was looking at the Martin D-16GT but didn't like the look of the mohogany. I was excited to find they do a D-16RGT with rosewood back and sides until I saw the white/cream binding all the way up the neck. It's just personal.

Can only +1 what Drubbing says: a good guitar is a good guitar, binding or not.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 02:19:01 pm »
Okay, thanks Drubbing and TheReplicant.  I noticed that you said binding was purely aesthetic earlier in the thread Drubbing.

I've checked websites for shops in the local area, but Lee's shop (from the 1st video, Andertons) has at least as many left handed acoustics as any other I could find in the area so I'll probably try his shop first.

They currently have 6 left handed acoustics in stock.  6!  And 3 of those are under £250.

They are due more stock on Friday, so hopefully I'll try then  ;D

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 03:05:31 pm »
Oh, and this guy could probably make any guitar sound impressive:

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 07:33:21 pm »
Well they had new stock in today so I went and tried a Taylor 114 and a Faith Venus Naked and bought the Venus in the end.

It had a lovely little tag in the box celebrating the qualities of NuBone.   ???

I'm happy, time to start getting that satin shiny  :)

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
Congratulations.

First up: pictures  ;D
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:19 pm »
Thanks again.

I can't work out how to do photos.  I put a couple of images into flickr and copied the share links but it doesn't seem to work.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 01:29:55 pm »
No problem.

I find something like photobucket more reliable than flickr.

Offline Gregg Hermetech

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Mastering Engineer
    • Hermetech Mastering
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 07:25:13 pm »
I've had a Faith Naked Venus for about a year now, play it every day, and still love it. I changed the tuners for Grover, and had a full pro setup done last summer (fret dress, bone nut, bone saddle), so have about an extra £250 on top of the guitar's price, but it really has been worth it. Sounds and plays lovely now, low action, no buzz etc. I use Martin SP 12's in 80/20 bronze.

It really is naked looking, no visible finish or binding, so it does show dings and dirt very easily, but this has never really been a concern for me. It should also ensure it "opens up" a lot quicker than guitars with high gloss finishes etc.

Faith have recently announced a whole load of new models for this December. Me, I'm waiting for them to do another Venus Signature!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App