Author Topic: Faith Naked Series  (Read 6398 times)

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Faith Naked Series
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:05:38 am »
I've had a Tele for a while and have been thinking about getting an acoustic.  I live in the UK and Faith Guitars seem pretty well rated and I have seen a few threads in the acoustic section of the forum here about Faith Guitars.

I don't have a huge budget for this and the 'Naked' series fits more closely into the budget that I have.  For example the Faith Naked Venus goes for just over £400 (I'm left handed which adds a few pounds to the price and reduces the choices available).

The significant differences on the Naked Venus seem to include no binding, 'die cast' rather than Grover tuners and rosewood instead of ebony for the fingerboard etc.

Will the tuners make it a pain to keep in tune, will the lack of binding make it much more fragile and is ebony that much better for the fingerboard?

Just wondered, thanks you.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: Faith Naked Series
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:09:42 am »

The Anderton guys seem to rate them. But I think with all guitars you you need try them out.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:26:58 am »
Thanks very much for the reply.  I've seen that video.  I think Andertons is a great shop and Rob Chapman (on the right in the video) seems like a nice chap.  I gather that Rob has used Faith for all his acoustic guitar needs with his band.  But, I think Rob also has a commercial arrangement with Faith.  Rob also has a large YouTube following and suspect that this contributed towards the Venus Hi Gloss winning the 2012 MIA Acoustic Guitar of the Year award (and the Venus Naked winning the 2013 award).
What I'm saying is that if Justin had said in a video "Everybody - go vote for Maton as the best guitar" then that might skew the results of a poll.

I will drop into Andertons and try out a few guitars before possibly buying the Venus.  But it might be hard to tell how stable the tuning will be with generic die cast tuners and how likely the guitar is to pick up dings without the binding.

(I am a fan of the Andertons videos and of Chappers, and its the main reason I'd go to Andertons first out of the local guitar shops near me).

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:35:08 pm »
Yeah, I'm subscribed to Rob's YouTube channel. I really like there reviews. Not to keen on Rob's playing to shredding and high gain for me. But Lee is tasteful blues player.

You're in that grey area budget that people find hard. Do you get a low end Martin or Taylor or do you get top end Faith or similar brand
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:48:35 pm »
Yeah, Lee seems a decent bloke as well.  I'd been thinking of getting a THR10C based on their reviews.  But as I've already got a Mustang 2 (v1) I thought maybe I'd put the money towards an acoustic.

I was thinking of the Ed Sheeran LX1E, which Acoustic Magazine gave as their below £1000 guitar tip for this year.  But its not full size and Justin said its better to use a full size guitar for learning.

Plus I'm not a huge Ed Sheeran fan.  Its nice that he's giving money to charity from it but I'd be scared that I'd bump into someone who knew more about the symbols on the guitar than I did  ;D

I'm no shredder, but a lot of their videos are built on entertainment which works for me.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:25:48 pm »
Stuff the reviews, everything sounds great in the hands of people who know what they're doing. That's how stuff gets sold, that's pretty much chappers FT job these days.

I heard lots of stuff I thought I'd like, and when I sat down with it, hated it or was just unimpressed. Course, some of it was me, other times the gear wasn't user friendly, or just didn't sound great.

I'd pay no attention to tuners and binding etc on acoustics. Binding and inlays seem to be just to add pretty, so people will gaze on their gorgeousness, and want. 400 quid should get you a decent first acoustic - you have to go play a bunch and find one you like. Forget what chappers and lee are flogging. If you don't like it in your hands, it's no good.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:17 pm »
The Faith is about as good as you're going to get for that price imho. You can get laminated back and sides from other companies that might actually sound better but an all solid body supposedly gets better with age as the wood dries and opens up.

The bare wood might actually help the sound but it does leave it unprotected. That means I'd keep it well away from anywhere damp and if you spill anything on it like coffee or tea it's more likely to stain. Given this, I'd get a decent hard case for it - and that takes you nearer to £500 all in all.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 02:21:27 pm »
Thanks again for the replies everyone.

I realise there's only so much that you can tell about how something sounds from YouTube, and that both Chappers and The Captain are making the video to sell stuff.  I still like the videos.

Its another 60 odd quid for a Faith hard case for it (and it seems to me that I might as well buy their case for that price if it looks solid when I see it in person).  Generally acoustics don't seem to come with a hard case for under £500.

The Venus Natural is about £650 I think and has Grover tuners, a better finish and does come with a case.  But Andertons don't stock that in a left handed version.  They do stock the Hi Gloss, but that's another £100 on top of that.

They did say in the video above that the finish on the top isn't likely to stay looking 'new' once you've played it for a while.  But its cheaper.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 03:39:49 pm »
Yeah. Looks like the Naked Venus is the way to go considering the budget and availability of Left-handed guitars.

Chappers and Lee may be flogging stuff but what they say on vids -I've found- is collaborated on forums and reviews from elsewhere. If they only flogged crap, they'd get a reputation for it pretty quickly. I wouldn't take their word as final - just part of a general consensus about a particular guitar/amp/whatever.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10:28 pm »
Thanks again.

I have noticed that Chappers seems to not say anything if he doesn't like something rather than falsely praising it.  (There's one video about Squier starter packs where he doesn't gush about anything really until there's on with a G-DEC amp which he says is a good amp, in comparison).

I guess when all the Christmas rush is over I'll get myself down to the music shop and have a play with a few guitars.

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 06:36:44 pm »
One thing I noticed is that Acoustic Magazine had their list of "Class of 2013, Top 20 Guitars Under £1000", and this included 2 Faiths:  The Mercury Naked and the Mars Mahogany.

Neither of these shapes are available as a left handed version according to the Faith website, but I'd wondered why the magazine hadn't gone with the Venus.

I'll go look in the shop anyway  8)

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 06:56:14 pm »
Ooo, worked out how to add YouTube links. 

Rabea here compares the Venus Naked to the Venus Hi Gloss.  He also has an endorsement with Faith, and so unsurprisingly he likes both of them, but nevertheless I think its an interesting comparison that he does.

I think the Naked would do for my purposes based on his review but its nice to see a comparison with someone else playing.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 11:49:41 pm »
Chappers does good, comprehensive vids. Not saying they will say anything to flog any old crap, but it's still only an opinion. Just cos he can play better than most of us doesn't make their opinion more important. It's yours with a guitar in your hands that counts.

Justin loves Matons and says so, but I was able to try 3 or 4 and none felt or sounded that good to me. Shame, given they're an Aus company and they'll make a anything in left.

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 09:15:57 am »
Justin's videos on the Maton dreadnought and Jester make clear that he's a big Maton fan.  If there was a sub-£500 left handed Maton that I could try locally then I'd definitely give it a look.

Its funny, Rob and Justin both have a similar story of buying an acoustic guitar after trying it in a local shop and then sticking with that brand for years (I guess maybe that's a common story).  Presumably that means that they both actually like the guitar brand enough to keep using it.

Regarding Rabea above, I hadn't realised that he and Rob are in the same band.....  (he's also appeared in a 1 or 2 Andertons videos.)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:44:39 am by tbaac »

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 10:30:50 pm »
I notice after watching Justin's videos about his Maton guitars that he used his Jester on a bunch of the beginners course videos.  I was watching a couple today and noticed the card suit symbols down the fingerboard on the guitar that he was using.  Nice  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App