Author Topic: SB-401 • Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:57:39 am by close2u »

Offline pulsarlight

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: SB-401 • Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 01:28:40 am »
Hello everybody,
I'm struggling with the chord muting on the intro. When I play it sounds more like a percussive strum.  Anyone has any tips on the strum mute, strum mute, so it gets a clear sound of the chord and a clear mute afterwards? It feels a little awkward in the right hand to play down, make a little pause and then mute the strings.

Any thoughts?

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 09:45:21 pm »
In the Beginners’ section of the Vintage Songbook!! You’re having a laugh Justin! This is one of the most difficult songs I’ve attempted. Dm, Dm/C, Dm/B, Dm/Bb, A, A/G, A/F, A/E. It may be “a wonderful sequence of chords built on a descending base line” but........

I’ve always loved the song, so I’ll stick at it and keep trying, but at the moment I’m really struggling!
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived here Feb 2018. BC completed and now on IM. Played a Framus 5/50 archtop as a teenager in the early 70’s.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 07:15:49 am »
@ sairfingers.

Yeah - it can be a tough one for sure.
It's all about the chord grips and being able to quickly switch fingers for those bass notes - plus a little thumb over too.
I posted a live version of me playing with Mrs C singing this a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately from the camera angle you can't see my fretting hand.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:32:34 am »
@ sairfingers.

Yeah - it can be a tough one for sure.
It's all about the chord grips and being able to quickly switch fingers for those bass notes - plus a little thumb over too.
I posted a live version of me playing with Mrs C singing this a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately from the camera angle you can't see my fretting hand.
And an excellent job of it the two of you made. Justin’s video lesson is excellent and makes it clear what you’re meant to do. It’s doing it that’s the hard part!
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived here Feb 2018. BC completed and now on IM. Played a Framus 5/50 archtop as a teenager in the early 70’s.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App