Author Topic: New Pickups?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
New Pickups?
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:45:05 am »
I have a squier affinity telecaster. I know, it's a cheap guitar. It seems to do pretty well though.

I've been thinking about getting some new pickups for it, but don't really know a lot about them. Anyone have any advice?

I'll probably need to order online since the nearest shop that would have them at a reasonable price is nearly 50 miles from here.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: New Pickups?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:27:40 am »
WHY do you want new pickups is the first question to ask yourself.
Then you ask yourself, what you wish to accomplish with the new pickups.
Then you need to figure out how much you're willing to spend.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:06:30 am »
I could take you through the process of picking out new pickups but i'm afraid I'll end up recommending a pickup set that costs more than your guitar.

I suppose you want a different, "higher quality" sound from your guitar.

If that is so, can you tell me what kind of amplifier you use? fixing you up with a  $200-$300 pickup set won't do you much good if the amp is holding you back. (The focus for an amp should be delivering a good sound rather than be an n amount of watts, don't forget that)

perhaps it's a good time to start saving for a new guitar, going for the "2.0" upgrade instead of the "1.3"
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:53 am »
Mexican Tele? if you're in the US or UK, you can get a used one for $350-400. Good pickups can cost $300 alone. Arguably, that's overcapitalising on a cheap squier.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:39:16 pm »
Some of those Squier pickups are supposed to be quite good. In fact they are sought after.

Don't forget that the expensive new pickups are modeled after the cheap run of the mill production stuff of the past which is probably very close to what you have now. You can change the tone with some 10 cent caps.

Also it's kinda funny hearing not to put nice pickups in cheap guitars.... One of Lindy Fralin's respected guitars is a Squier and he has been a top shelf pickup winder for as long as I can remember.

Don't change things just because people tell you that they do it. Wait until you identify a short coming and then work on the proper way to correct it. If the only thing that is bothering you is that "other people do it".... just forget about it.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:17 pm »
Mexican Tele? if you're in the US or UK, you can get a used one for $350-400. Good pickups can cost $300 alone. Arguably, that's overcapitalising on a cheap squier.

Dude, the upgrades on all my cheap(er) guitars end up costing more than the guitars themselves.
If the guitar itself is solid and feels good, why not upgrade it to make it your dream guitar ?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:22:15 pm »
I love the pickups on my cheap Fender, but hated the ones on my MIM Strat so put Fralin blues hybrid pickups in it. I like the Fralins.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 01:02:41 am »
Thanks guys. I think I'm probably just getting a mild case of GAS, or something similar. I don't really need a change, but I sure want one. I'm sure you all can relate. :)

The guitar sounds decent enough, but the pickups are kinda weak. I really want something with a bit more oomph.

Looking at your replies though, I'll probably wait a bit on the pickups and do my homework some more. I still want to change them, but like TB said, it's probably no good to do it until I know more about what I want to go to. That and the fact that I only really knew the answer to one of Dan's questions is probably enough reason to hold up...and it wasn't even one of the more important two.

Maybe I'll take Lieven's advice and go for an amp instead :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:00 am »
Getting a decent amp to start with is definately a good idea. You may even end up liking the sound of your pickups!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Fozjg

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:50 pm »
I'm very surprised GAS hasn't gotten the best of you... Obviously you have your priorities in order! How are able to control it? I've bought and sold three guitars in the past couple years and I can barely play. I have an acoustic and an electric.  I currently scope out Craigslist every so often and plan on scooping up another electric fairly soon. Probably a tele or maybe a strat if the right price comes along.

Is the squier the only electric you've played?  You owe it to yourself to test out the waters.  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App