Author Topic: single coil les paul  (Read 1399 times)

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
single coil les paul
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:57:04 pm »
so imagine if i have a les paul with 3 humbuckers and i decide for some crazy reason i switch the middle position humbucker for a strat like single coil what kind of sound will i get from mixing the middle position single coil with the first position humbucker and the sound i will get from mixing the middle position single coil with the third position humbucker
"He said, for a nominal service charge,
I could reach Nirvana t'nite"
frank zappa

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
Re: single coil les paul
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »
I think it's possible but I think you will need to swap out some electronics (different outputvalues and tone control?) and you might want to have a 5 way switch instead of a 3 way. (strat like, including/excluding the middle pickup in the osund or only playing through the middle pickup)

not sure what the sound does hum wise and tone wise, having a total of 2 coils in one direction and one in the other. that might bring up some hum from that 1 that is doubled. (humbuckers are 2 single coils, reverse wound to each other, so hum is cancelled out. )

techies, please continue, :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: single coil les paul
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 02:23:19 am »
I did that on an SG ages ago. But I also built an active preamp with Bass Treb Vol controls and I had switches for all sorts of combinations and splits. All I can tell you is it adds another sound... how much you will use it and how good it sounds is another matter.

The issue of hum is no big deal. It just sounds like a single coil.

If you have 3 pickup LP you could probably just split the center pickup and get the same thing. Coil split just knocks off one coil and basically makes it a single coil pickup. A lot less work.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App