Author Topic: Microphone selection  (Read 1713 times)

Offline kmonroe99

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Microphone selection
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »
I'm getting some home (only) recording gear setup.  My current goal is to record my practice and song playing.  A future goal would be to play over backing tracks and record that. 

There is no voice involved, only acoustic and electric guitar.  I have a Breedlove acoustic with pickups and preamp; a G&L electric.  I do not want to go direct with a line to the computer i.e. I want to record the sounds heard from the acoustic or from the amp loudspeaker.

So far, I have computer hardware and DAW.  I have an audio interface with 48v phantom power, if needed.  Now I'm trying to figure out which *single* microphone I could start with.  I've read through Justin's recommendations and other posts here, and I think I'll be OK with the Shure SM57??

I would like to keep the cost (US $) no higher than a Rode NT1-a.

Thoughts?

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
Re: Microphone selection
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:37:19 pm »
I think the SM57 is good for live work. I've never really been convinced by it for studio work. That said, it's probably the best thing at that price point.

Personally, I'd try to get the money together for the se2200a if my focus was on recording.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:06:53 am »
Try to find an Audio Technica AT3035. You can only find them used, though.

If that fails, you can get a CAD M179 for $150.

Those are both condenser mics and I like them on both electric and acoustic guitar.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:16:49 pm »
There is a ribbon mic that looks like a lollipop that is nice. Not sure who's name is on them. Mine were custom ordered from China.

There is also a tube condenser mic, again it will have many names and prices depending on who gets a hold of it. But they all have this big power supply and one of them allows you to change the polar pattern which sort of gets you multiple mics or "in-between" mics.

Actually here it is .....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-460-Studio-Large-Diaphragm-Tube-Condenser-Mic-460-Microphone-/290969427549?pt=US_Other_Pro_Audio&hash=item43bf211e5d

Here is the lollipop I have.. .this is one of the actual mics ordered out of China. You notice it looks just like Cascade and other brands. Everyone orders them from China and then maybe change a few things. Some will simply be cosmetic... but that mic came from china several years ago... It's listed a TLC but it's really TNC and there was only one way to get them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/tlc-ribbon-microphone-/221276657242?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item33851dd65a

Gone

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:44:59 pm »
It's probably not what you are looking for, but I use this for recording my practices:
http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Compact-USB-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42

For a little (literally...it's tiny) $40 mic, it really has a good sound. I've used it a lot with my acoustic. It sounds great recording over backing tracks. The headphone jack on it is nice too.

Like I said, you're probably looking to go a little higher end, but for a budget USB mic it's actually really good. My only complaint is that the clip/stand is not as sturdy as it could be, but it works.

EDIT-here's a pretty good video of how it sounds. He says he uses minor compression and reverb on poarts, but it will give you an idea.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:22:39 pm by bradt »

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:33:54 am »
Good idea. Here's my AT3035:

Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App