Author Topic: My email address is going to die very soon ... what are my options?  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: My email address is going to die very soon ... what are my options?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 06:22:54 pm »
I've been using Gmail for nearly 7 years and never had any major problems. Their service was shortly unavailable for me once or twice during that period. I guess it would be good enough for you unless you are a pedophile or one of those omg-i-have-no-privacy-in-internet freaks or you send important passwords (bank accounts, etc.) via email.
Given this post has been made from a google nexus 7, Care to tell me which group I occupy in such a delightfully absolute list ???
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 06:28:23 pm »
...or you send important passwords (bank accounts, etc.) via email.

Noone should do this.

Email, by it's very nature, is inherently insecure. It is a very bad thing to use for secure information unless you encrypt the contents and even then, although the contents may be secure, the details of where and to whom you sent it will pass through third party networks and will be logged by them.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 07:05:14 pm »
I've been using Gmail for nearly 7 years and never had any major problems. Their service was shortly unavailable for me once or twice during that period. I guess it would be good enough for you unless you are a pedophile or one of those omg-i-have-no-privacy-in-internet freaks or you send important passwords (bank accounts, etc.) via email.
Given this post has been made from a google nexus 7, Care to tell me which group I occupy in such a delightfully absolute list ???

That list is not absolute, because it doesn't cover whole population, you might be as well excluded but I don't know what your nexus 7 has to do with anything ::)
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 07:07:49 pm »
one of those omg-i-have-no-privacy-in-internet freaks

At the risk of sending this spiralling off topic, "Privacy" is a complex subject, and one of the problems is when it is discussed in this context, the meaning is often badly defined. People often make big claims about "their privacy being invaded" without actually defining what they mean.

The biggest issue, to me, is the one that revolves around Government spying, given that this has been in the news recently. There is a very big and totally valid concern about the extent to which certain Governments are collecting information about us and our use of the Internet. They claim to do this "to detect terrorism" but that is a lie: there is no evidence that wholesale collection of uncorrelated data like this is directly useful against terrorism. This data is only useful for preventing or prosecuting crimes if something is already known about that crime. In those circumstances, if the case that enough "cause" can be demonstrated, a judge will gladly issue a warrant  for the data to be accessed.

Consider, especially in the context of the US, that if the same level of Government scrutiny and surveillance was around in the 18th century, the Founding Fathers would almost certainly have been detected, arrested and convicted as "terrorists" or enemies of the state. The Constitution was created largely to prevent this sort of "police state". It is being eroded. The First and Fourth amendments, in particular, are being deprecated as we sit and watch. This isn't a partisan thing, it's been going on for more than a decade and the policies have been adopted by Governments both Republican and Democrat.

It's also out of proportion to the stated problem (assuming you are a naive sucker who actually believes this is all about terrorism): the US Govt is spending billions on programs to collect and process data about its citizens in the name of "terrorism", but more US citizens die each month of diabetes than have died of "terrorism" in the last 20 years.

Something needs to be done about this, but blaming Google is a distraction. Our Governments are the ones who should be under fire.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »
I don't know how much of the privacy gossip is true but I follow one rule: don't put into internet any information that you wouldn't like to be read by certain people (no matter who, government, family, friends, strangers...). Actually putting words privacy and internet in one sentence kinda makes me laugh but it's only my personal opinion...

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 07:35:42 pm »

That list is not absolute, because it doesn't cover whole population, you might be as well excluded but I don't know what your nexus 7 has to do with anything ::)

Your statement offers 3 possible options, A or B or C and makes no suggestion of any other possible reason. that is absolute.
My nexus 7 is a statement that I care little about what google know about me making option B redundant.

My point is that your statement, given the limited options, can quickly reduce to offence.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 07:40:34 pm »
Actually putting words privacy and internet in one sentence kinda makes me laugh but it's only my personal opinion...

That always make me laugh as well. It's like walking around London naked then wondering how everybody
know about the Tattoo on your a$$.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »
Here ya go..... go spy on yourself...... http://immersion.media.mit.edu/

Gone

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:07 pm »
My point is that your statement, given the limited options, can quickly reduce to offence.

Options were not limited to A, B or C. You could either be:

1. A
2. B
3. C
4. A+B
5. A+C
6. B+C
7. A+B+C
8. none (This one I thought was obvious)

Sorry if you felt offended, though ;)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »
sometimes it pays to state the obvious ;)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 11:02:34 pm »
@Close - install something like Thunderbird on you PC and let it download all your messages from BT - it can create contact lists from emails you've sent / received, too. At least you have all the stuff under your control then.

Offline fingersandthumbs

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
  • I should have done this years ago
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:39 pm »
I've got this thing about Google taking over the world and, apart from searching won't use Goggle for anything else. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for emails, took me a couple of days to get used to it and now no problems at all.
One of the oldest swingers in town (no, not that sort of swinger!)

Offline MonkeyMark

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »
Another shout for Gmail.

I find it easy and powerful (great when sending large attachments).

Also use it on android phone and tablet, works efficiently.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:13 pm »
DO NOT use Yahoo.  They are plagued with all kinds of bugs and if I had the time I'd change to Gmail immediately.   
Realism is relative.

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 09:24:50 pm »
Are you sure the BT message is legit? It could be phishing - See this : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4733601

Get The Forum As A Mobile App