Author Topic: My email address is going to die very soon ... what are my options?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
So my current email address ... that I have used for years and where I have hundreds of stored messages and to which all of my online activity is linked ... is going to die soon.

It is provided by BT (British Telecom).

I was a BT customer for years and years until I moved house last year and they wanted me to pay £160 for a line connection at the new house!
So much for rewarding customer loyalty.

I refused and now my phone, broadband, TV etc is from VirginMedia.

I have a VirginMedia email address.
But I have never used it.
I kept on using the old BT email account.
Now BT have sent me a message telling me the only way to keep my email account is to sign up for broadband with them (this is not going to happen as I'm tied in to a fixed period with VirginMedia) or pay £1.60 per month for the service.
Pah!!

So it looks like my email will have to change and I'll have to use something else.

What do I need to do for ease, speed and efficiency
1] to help me decide on the best email to use
2] to transfer all of my contacts and stored messages quickly and easily
3] change my email in every single one of my online areas

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
Re: My email address is going to die very soon ... what are my options?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
So my current email address ... that I have used for years and where I have hundreds of stored messages and to which all of my online activity is linked ... is going to die soon.

It is provided by BT (British Telecom).

I was a BT customer for years and years until I moved house last year and they wanted me to pay £160 for a line connection at the new house!
So much for rewarding customer loyalty.

I refused and now my phone, broadband, TV etc is from VirginMedia.

I have a VirginMedia email address.
But I have never used it.
I kept on using the old BT email account.
Now BT have sent me a message telling me the only way to keep my email account is to sign up for broadband with them (this is not going to happen as I'm tied in to a fixed period with VirginMedia) or pay £1.60 per month for the service.
Pah!!

So it looks like my email will have to change and I'll have to use something else.

What do I need to do for ease, speed and efficiency
1] to help me decide on the best email to use
2] to transfer all of my contacts and stored messages quickly and easily
3] change my email in every single one of my online areas

The only thing I would say is don't use your VM e-mail address but get a gmail. hotmail, live or other such free e-mail address then if you ever change your ISP it won't matter. You can of course pay for a personal e-mail address which is what we do. 123 reg do this amongst others. I think we pay £10 per year for a domain name plus multiple e-mail and storage. Our e-mail is semi business as it is our dog club but doing it this way you could have name@close2u.co.uk or whatever domain name you want (if it is available) and multiple names for the family plus trash accounts

If you set up Live-mail or some other e-mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Pegasus) you will be able to download your messages to your PC. This I think this will also download your contacts. It will take a while though if you have loads stored.

Don't know how you can reset your e-mail on online sites .... except the hard-way!

BTW I know SFA about computers so there is probably an easier way ;)
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 11:43:16 am »
No Happy Jack, you are pretty much spot on.

I would highly recommend Gmail as you get world-class virus protection, as well as calendar, contacts, drive and Google Docs and the Gmail service just seems to keep getting better. If you have a Google account for anything else (like Youtube) then you can link them easily.

I will point out there's a lot of kerfuffle about email services and "privacy" going on at the moment. An awful lot of it is nonsense, especially the stuff around Google.

Microsoft have engaged in a dirty tricks campaign against Google and have been pushing out scare-tactic press releases via third-party PR companies who are pretending to be consumer watchdogs. There was a recent fabrication that was published in the Guardian newspaper that came from a group who call themselves "Consumer Watchdog" who are actually a group paid by Microsoft to push out negative reports about Google.

On the other hand, there are some very real concerns around state snooping of your data. However, the reports in (once again) the Guardian are blown out of proportion and full of assumptions and inaccuracies.

Google, particularly, have made very clear statements about what they do and don't do: they don't give wholesale, unrestricted access to customer data to any Government or third party; they don't give any access to Governments without a legal warrant or similar instrument; they do not sell your data to third parties.

What they do is sell advertising space based on your profile, which they get from keyword scanning your emails. That's it! As part of that bargain you also get world class virus protection, anti-phishing and anti-spam and the ability to easily search your emails.

Google don't do anything that Hotmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo, and most others don't do. Unlike most of those Google are very  specific (as much as they can be) about what you get and what you don't. Others, including Microsoft, are more cagey...

Personally I would avoid Hotmail, Outlook.com and Yahoo as they have not been clear on what their privacy policy is, particularly with respects to Governments and police access to your data. Microsoft have actually been reported as putting backdoors into Skype and other software to allow the NSA to routinely collect data and to record conversations without a warrant.

Prism is the big thing people are concerned about. From my analysis of this (and from working in Telecoms so I have a very good idea of what is technically possible, and what the legal status is, at least in the UK) the main mechanism used by Prism is "sniffing" of data on the large trunk fibre optics that carry the Internet in the US. Anything you send unencrypted across these connections is trivial to collect, store and keyword search.

Email is not secure. Unless you use encryption it is like writing on a postcard: anyone between you and the recipient can trivially read it. Even if you can encrypt the contents, details like to/from email addresses and subject are plainly visible.

I will point out that Google have done a lot to push encryption to make this stuff difficult to routinely read:

- When you connect to Gmail you do it over an encrypted https connection (and their system, almost uniquely, uses something called "forward secrecy" which enhances the security further - http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/protecting-data-for-long-term-with.html ).

- When you send email to another Gmail user, that is sent entirely within Google's encrypted network

- When you send or receive email from another person whose email provider supports TLS encryption, the email will be encrypted over public networks.

In any of these cases, email will be encrypted end-to-end and which makes it very difficult for any third-parties (including the NSA) to read the contents OR the too/from addresses. None of the other mainstream email service providers do this, which is one reason I recommend Gmail.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:47:51 am »
By the way, when it comes to changing your email with your contacts and other online accounts, there's no short cuts.

For contacts, the best way is to email them from your new account. If you can, set up an autoresponder for your BT account saying it is no longer working and what your new email address is. Of course this will only work until BT turn the email account off.

For online accounts, you simply have to go to all of them, log in and change your email. I would do this sooner rather than later as some site will require such changes to be authorised by emailing the original account, so you want to do this whilst the BT email is still active.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:21 am »
Oh, and I will add that if you have, or are thinking of getting, an Android phone, the gmail/apps integration is superb. If you have an iPhone it's not quite as slick, but still very good.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:46:53 pm »
It might be worth pointing out that Virgin Media use Gmail for their mail services. I have my addresses linked to my Iphone with no problems.

Their spam filters are a little overprotective, though ....... not a bad thing, of course ........ But I do find it easier to use Imap for my clients so I can go look what they've caught from time to time without having to fire up their web interface for access. Sometimes their filters are a little overzealous when it comes to mail shots from new retail contacts. Other than that, all tickety-boo.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:59:48 pm »
1: Been using GMX for about 2 years now since much the same thing happened, happily recommend them if you want to avoid the bigger names in free email.
2: I assume that you use your browser to manage your BT e-mails. If you install an e-mail client and set it up for the BT pop account it should download your inbox at least.
beyond that, unless the browser app specifically supports exporting you might have to do the rest the hard way..... but look on it as an opportunity to prune.
3: yup, no easy way. just rack your brain for the most critical ones.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:02:24 pm »
It might be worth pointing out that Virgin Media use Gmail for their mail services. I have my addresses linked to my Iphone with no problems.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

It doesn't solve the longer term issue that he would end up with an email service tied to his broadband if he used it. If he creates his own gmail account, then he can keep it forever, regardless of ISP.

Ooh, by the way, I remembered another reason to use Google: they support two-step verification. This provides far greater security for your account http://www.google.com/landing/2step/?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

Other providers are starting to wise up to this, but Google were the first to implement it.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 04:00:51 pm »

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

It doesn't solve the longer term issue that he would end up with an email service tied to his broadband if he used it. If he creates his own gmail account, then he can keep it forever, regardless of ISP.

Ooh, by the way, I remembered another reason to use Google: they support two-step verification. This provides far greater security for your account http://www.google.com/landing/2step/?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

Other providers are starting to wise up to this, but Google were the first to implement it.

Cheers,

Keith

I have used gmail from when it was very first available as a beta test in the UK (on the original gmail address in the UK) I used at as my main personal e-mail for years but I only use it for on-line shopping these days. I have never had any problems with it although there has always been the hullabaloo about privacy in the press. I would have no problem recommending it but I do remember it not be a valid e-mail address on some sites - I suspect this has long since changed though.
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 04:35:52 pm »
I would have no problem recommending it but I do remember it not be a valid e-mail address on some sites - I suspect this has long since changed though.

I haven't come across this.

Gmail is now one of the most common email systems in use today, and restricting it from being used for a website would severely restrict the audience for that website. Many websites, these days, will even let you use your Google credentials to log in, and with recent developments from Google on this front, that's likely to become increasingly common.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 04:52:11 pm »
I would have no problem recommending it but I do remember it not be a valid e-mail address on some sites - I suspect this has long since changed though.

I haven't come across this.

Gmail is now one of the most common email systems in use today, and restricting it from being used for a website would severely restrict the audience for that website. Many websites, these days, will even let you use your Google credentials to log in, and with recent developments from Google on this front, that's likely to become increasingly common.

Cheers,

Keith

It was a long long time ago Keith

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »
So many knowledgeable and helpful folk in this forum!!

:)

Gmail is nosing ahead in the recommendation stakes.

An option could actually be to switch to BT as my provider soon ... my contract with Virgin expires in a month or two ... need to check.
I have just browsed the monthly cost for BT of a similar Phone / Broadband / TV service and it is way cheaper than Virgin.
Plus - as a new customer, this time I wouldn't have to pay £160 connection fee ... mad isn't it how they reward and give benefits to new customers and not to loyal and long standing customers.

All that would leave me with my BT address running.

I could, over time, check out alternatives like Gmail and moving wouldn't be so hasty and onerous.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:13:13 pm by close2u »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »
Close, I would pay that fee until such time that you get all your accounts squared away. You should be able to export all your contacts to a spreadsheet, but I expect they are in your email program on your PC unless you are using Web only for mail. In which case, back up all your addresses.

I've had Gmail for quite some time. Everyone else knows anything they want about me I figure Google might as well too.  ;)

The other thing about Google is it retains your mails in the event you lose something it's nice to have it. Email is not intended to be a database, diary, portfolio,... although people always seem to want to use it as such. The ISPs know they and can retain you with it. But go ahead an pay the $3 until you are absolutely sure you have everything working on the new system.

I do remember it not be a valid e-mail address on some sites - I suspect this has long since changed though.
The only place you will see that is a site that absolutely has to know beyond a reasonable doubt that you are who you say you are.

IOW, [email protected] with a matching website,an IP address that can be tracked to a location near your street address is a lot more reasonable than [email protected]*** . I have only seen that in a very few instances of some private web sites and some online vendors that by law need to verify who you are... the latter generally let's you display an @G*** address after you are verified with a major ISP address. It's not an "Internet thing"... it's a specific identification thing.

Gone

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:00:49 pm »
Gmail. Because of what majik writes . Happy gmail user here
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
I've been using Gmail for nearly 7 years and never had any major problems. Their service was shortly unavailable for me once or twice during that period. I guess it would be good enough for you unless you are a pedophile or one of those omg-i-have-no-privacy-in-internet freaks or you send important passwords (bank accounts, etc.) via email.

And how many contacts do you have on your old email account?
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App