Author Topic: SB-306 • Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream (Eric Clapton)  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3

Offline jim23

• Good Vibes 1
Re: SB-306 • Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream (Eric Clapton)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:16:03 pm »
Hi,
What key is this song in? Also what scale is it derived from? Any outside notes?
I'm a beginner trying to get my head round it.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »
Well, I learned it from this acoustic version by Clapton.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osalLZDo_SQ  The chords are the same as the electric version Justin teaches.

IMHO, The intro and verse start out in the key of D.  The riff is D minor pentatonic passing through the b5 blue note.

The key changes to G at the "I'll be with you darling soon" verse.  Again the riff is G minor pentatonic passing through the b5 blue note.

The chorus goes back to the key of D with a bVII chord (A,C,G =V, bVII, IV).

Hope that helps.   :)
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline tommyc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »
Are you guys muting strings in the second riff, where you're on 11 and 12 of the D and G strings? Also, do you have a finger anchored on the guitar for those? I'm having a hard time not hitting other strings there when I'm not anchored... and if I am anchored, well,I have a hard time getting anchored in time when coming back from the power chords

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:31:33 pm »
Hi and welcome :)

Yes, I mute the other strings  - heel of the thumb on the right hand mutes the thick E and maybe the A (Justin is doing this - you can see the thick string moving around when he strums), tip of the left hand index finger helps mute the A, and the underside of fretting fingers mute the two thinnest strings.

Practice will help with picking accuracy, but if you get the muting right it doesn't matter so much. (paradoxically, I found that this also made me more accurate?)

I don't anchor (I have a bad habit of curling my right hand fingers against the thin E string which I'm trying to stop), but if you use your palm (in the loosest sense) to mute the thick strings, it also gives you a point of reference... but it's mostly practice, IMHO.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:59:03 pm »
Best not to anchor on this one.
Gone

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »
Actually, I've just played it and would revise my answer  :-[ - I found I play the full barre chords for this bit, but emphasis the middle two strings when strumming (I'd learnt it before Justin did his video). Bit of a squeeze to get all the fingers into the 12th fret.

Offline tommyc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:32:11 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I've been working on doing it now without anchoring; it's tougher for me, but I'm starting to get it.

I also saw some tab/videos which had you doing the full barre chord, and that seemed easier for me; so, maybe it makes sense for me to do the barre chord and then come as close as I can to the middle strings.

Offline amkaplan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 03:13:23 am »
Hi,

I'm wondering if you can give any tips on how to get that great Clapton/Cream tone - Justin's done a helluva job with it in the lesson.  I do have a Line6 Pocket Pod that I'm just starting to play with, but I'm really a neophyte and am not such a gear-head that I know what it takes to approach that sound (the downloadable tone files they have are not so good).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Allan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App