Author Topic: Help required..(melody & chords)  (Read 8719 times)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
Re: Help required.....
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 10:22:05 pm »
Hi Frances,

I've had another listen, or two. I may change some of the words, so that we have an aabb rhyme. I think the bridge could do with a few more words as well.

It would also help if I could sing properly, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Other than that I think it still hangs together nicely.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2013, 04:33:28 pm »
Hi Francis,

I like the arpeggio. Can please you put it up on its own so that I can mess about with the balance.

Have you redone the electric rhythm guitar? I see you put two track up yesterday but they sound the same as the old ones to me. My judgement has gone a bit funny after listening to my vocal. But your arpeggio playing has restored my spirits.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 04:44:17 pm »
hi,

i find the 4 on the floor rhythm a bit martial, is there any way you could start on beat 2 and play with the beats a little?
here is what i've got for the first part. i think it may indeed be fidgety, but if we add one more layer of guitar it could work. could you add some some arpeggiated chords? i feel as though the acoustic needs to be settled within a space in some way  either with a keyboard or guitar surrounding.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/part-1-w-arpeggio

........sure, it's got mistakes and stuff, .............i didn't upload anything yesterday, it must be some sort of problem with the site. i will, i will, i will complete the electric track today, for real this time, really. i just needed to win at my little game of tetris i had going on.

I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:27 pm »
Hi Frances,

no need to hurry. I thought you'd heard my vocal and ran away.

I'll think about the drums. The problem is my limited ability. Once you have the electric rhythm done to your satisfaction I'll have a mess about with the drums. I quite like the 4 to the floor beat, but not enough to insist on it.

I'll put some guitar over verse 1 and 2 once I hear your stem with my vocal to see where everything sits.

I had to ask what tetris is and I'm still not sure.

diadem

ps I thought I'd heard the stem but it was the demo, I have now and changed this reply.

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2013, 06:20:54 pm »
yeah, this time i uploaded the wrong file and had to change it. i meant with the vocal- i HEAR instead of EYYE HEAR.
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2013, 06:24:16 pm »
I've had a quick listen, sounds really good. I'll try and play something with it, but if I get the balances right and the singing in tune we may not need anything else.

I see what you mean about the mistakes. Are you planning on re-recording it or can I just plough ahead with what I've got?

Regarding the vocal, by then I was getting frustrated and thought sod it, this is the last one, of course I started a bit too early.......

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 06:44:46 pm »
it's going to take couple days at least to get the arpeggio in decent shape, i'd rather you didn't use the take i have up in the final product, or in other words, these many mistakes can pile up pretty quickly once they are all put together in one place. if you're just experimenting on it, well thats what its for..... yah, i know what that's like.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 06:52:35 pm »
Ok, no problem. I'll see what I can do with a second guitar arpeggio part and a lot of singing practice.

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2013, 10:43:02 pm »
ok, i think this will avoid major trainwrecks. i think these are the same settings i used before. i have to have the mix before putting on the top track, or you could tell me how to do it myself.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/electric-one

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/electric-two

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 08:03:14 am »
Hi Frances,

you may have seen some old films of witches stood around the cauldron chucking things in, that's how I got the original mix. I know I should write things down but I just listen and if it sounds awful it gets removed, if it sounds interesting it stays. Eventually I have a soup I like the taste of.

All you need to do is open up your DAW's box of tools, reverb, flanger, chorus, etc and have a play. I build up 5 or 6 tracks with one or two effects on each. With your two tracks I'll have, maybe, 6 tracks (3 of each) and get to work.

If it all sounds ok I'll put it up tonight. Once you get the top track done I'll start thinking about the drums. If you can think of a song with a drum pattern you think would suit it let me know. If we are going to start on beat 2 I think the toms will have to go. It would work with the emphasis coming on the word "The". Not sure if I've got the technique to pull that off. We will see.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 04:47:45 pm »
Hi Frances,

here is the mix for the electric rhythm guitar. If you can record a version to go on top that would be good.

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-rough-electric-1/s-11o4A

diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »
Hi Diadem/Frances,

I know I'm late to the party, but if you fancy some Derbyshire twang on vocals (not that they're that good) - give me a shout.

Cheers,

Digger

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 09:34:54 pm »
Hi Digger,

if Frances has no objection it would be a relief. My singing is a moving feast, its getting closer to being in key most of the time, which is an improvement. Unfortunately I cannot it to sing the notes I want.

I'm really pleased with how the song's developing and it deserves a good vocal.

So that's a thumbs up from one of us.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 06:08:00 am »
Sure digger, glad to have you.

for drums? maybe something like this?
https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/drum-snip

when i was recording the rhythm track my earbud fell out and bounced on the strings so i've uploaded that one because it makes me happy when that sort of thing happens. if it annoys just say so and i'll redo it.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/electric-earbud-incident

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 07:54:34 am »
Hi Frances,

I'll like to use the electric earbud track, but as a spice rather than the main course. Could you please re-do it.

I like the drums. It'll take me a while to sort out. It sounds complicated. I've only just got used to putting in 8th notes. If you could write out the count that would be really helpful.

Welcome aboard Digger. I decided the problem with the lyrics was my singing rather than getting them to rhyme. I do think we need an additional The Man in the suit, either after Yes that's right or if it doesn't scan properly before. The second My true love sleeps in grace is the intro to the electric violin. I also added My true love understands at the end of the last verse. I thought it sounded better when I sang it. Although if the words don't work when you trying singing them feel free to let us know.

I'll try and have another basic track up at the weekend to check our progress and for Digger to start playing around with the melody.

diadem

Get The Forum As A Mobile App