Author Topic: Help required..(melody & chords)  (Read 9649 times)

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
Re: Help required..(melody & chords)
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2013, 07:22:00 pm »
Thanks Frances, all safely downloaded. I'll start putting them together tomorrow. I've got some basic drums and a couple of bass tracks to have a listen to as well.

Should be an interesting day tomorrow. Its a warm muggy night and my batteries are drained.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2013, 08:06:17 pm »
good i was worried it wouldn't work because noise reduction removes big chunks of the spectrum.  i wasn't saying anything before because i got caught in this loop where i'd go to reply and then think i wanted to redo things, but i kept on accidentally hitting this big red button that makes me screw everything up and then mocks me. i don't know why the programmers would include such a feature. so once i was done doing that i just didn't feel like saying anything.
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2013, 09:15:06 pm »
Hi,

So what are the actual lyrics for the bridge now? Are they back to the original, minus the extra "the man in the suit," but with a "he" after "Yes, that's right?" So, in effect ;

The man in the suit
Says he's tough
Little John in reverse
Slips money from her purse
Yes that's right, he
Oh, so tough

You kind of lost me on the dragging the vocal and stuff, so you'll just have to point it out on the next take.  And do you now want the last verse sung like the first two rather than as it is?

Cheers,

Digger

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 10:01:48 pm »
Hi Digger,

real quick, it's penalties. the lyrics are

The man in the suit
Says he's tough
Little John in reverse

Sang slowly as per my previous post

The Man in the suit
Slips money from her purse
Yes that's right, he's
Oh, so tough

as per your version

Hope this is clear.

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 10:14:44 pm »
good i was worried it wouldn't work because noise reduction removes big chunks of the spectrum.  i wasn't saying anything before because i got caught in this loop where i'd go to reply and then think i wanted to redo things, but i kept on accidentally hitting this big red button that makes me screw everything up and then mocks me. i don't know why the programmers would include such a feature. so once i was done doing that i just didn't feel like saying anything.

I know how you feel. I always do loads of takes. Eventually I just say enough and make do with what I've got. The bass took me ages but its done. I just need to check to see if its all in time etc and makes sure it sits ok in the mix. Once that's done I'll put it up. Together with your new pieces.

The football's finished, Norway won on penalties.

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2013, 07:48:14 am »
I've made a very rough mix of the bass and drum to see if you like it. The balances are all over the place. The timing sounds ok to me, but that doesn't mean to say that you'll necessarily agree.

The drums aren't complete. I intend to add some more tom fills and some cymbals once the vocal's done. I'm not madly keen on hi-hats keeping the beat. I've used Frances' beat for the toms and think they sound good. When I tried it with the bass (kick) and snare it took too much attention away from the guitars (which I really like). The drums will not to be processed as well

The bass guitar is a simple 1 5 pattern. I think it goes well with the last verse and is ok in the bridge.

Frances I've left out your new introduction and verses 1 and 2. I've set them up in Cubase and they sound good. I'm waiting until we have a bit more agreed before putting it up.

If we agree to run with the drums and bass I'll start preparing the final mix. In my view we only need the finished vocal, the final drum fills and the lead guitar over the wild violin.

I intend to delete some of my soundcloud files on Sunday, so if anybody wants to download the works in progress they should do so before then.

Once we get to the final mix stage I'll send you both a message with the link. I don't want to spoil the surprise for anybody who's following this thread. The finished song should go up on the audio and video. I could be persuaded to put it on here but I'm not sure how many people visit this section of the board and the work we've done deserves a wider audience, in my view.

Here's the link

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-rough-mix-bass/s-ysKtI

diadem

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2013, 03:40:56 pm »
Hi,

I think I'm ready to start the final mix. I'll put a lead guitar line over the violin to help with my balances.  I need to sort out the drums and should have a draft final mix up shortly, fingers crossed.

Frances if you want to take the lead guitar slot feel free. I know what the red light does to you, but bite the bullet and give it a go, we are close to the end. What I have in mind for my guide is a bit miserable.

I think what we have sounds good but will be better when its finished.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2013, 05:38:06 am »
i had put something up, but decided i didn't like it and took it back.

do you think you could swing the bass a little? i'd have to hear the drums all together to know what i think of them.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:04:12 am by frances »
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2013, 07:26:17 am »
i had put something up, but decided i didn't like it and took it back.

do you think you could swing the bass a little? i'd have to hear the drums all together to know what i think of them.

Hi Frances,

Shame you took it back. I've downloaded it and mixed it in with what I did yesterday. The balances aren't right but it sounds fairly good.

I wish I could swing the bass, lack of talent. Its hard enough trying to stop the string noise, count the beats, remember the notes and stop worrying about the soreness in my finger. Ask me in a year's time and I may be able to do it.  :)

I have a similar problem doing the drums. Lack of talent. So what you get is just basic patterns. You have a far better sense of rhythm than me, I can tell from the arpeggio introduction.

The last verse sounds like straight 8ths in my head, matches what I had in mind for the words.

With a bit of luck I'll have a rough final mix ready by the middle of the week. We can see how everything fits together. We could then revisit the bass, drums or anything else after hearing the mix. To me everything is coming together and it sounds fairly good.

diadem

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2013, 10:01:40 am »
Hi Frances,

I've remixed and balanced your guitar solo. I like it. If you could please wait until you hear the first mix I'd appreciate it. If you don't like what I've done we'll take it out. I think it complements what I've done very nicely and would like it to stay.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 01:44:41 am »
unless you do some serious magic i don't think that's getting by without a sympathy cringe or two.
what did you do to your finger?

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2013, 06:54:20 am »
I use it to play the bass. I don't do it often enough to build up the hard skin. So as I make mistake after mistake my finger becomes sore. I could use a pick but I don't like the sound. I'll put learning to swing the bass on my practice schedule.

I hope you're pleasantly surprised when you hear the instrumental interlude. I'll do a bit more mixing today and try and get it finished mid-week.

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58:13 pm »
Hi Frances and Digger,

I have sent you both a link to a final mix. I like it. Everything isn't perfect, but neither was The Wind Cries Mary, they issued the one with all the warts because it had character. Please let me know if you have safely got the link.

Please let me know what you think. As you'll hear all the best bits are down to you two (including Frances' solo).

If you have any comments let me know. My health has taken a bit of a battering today so I'll need a few days to recover. Luckily I'm back at work tomorrow.

diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »
Hi Diadem/Frances.

First up I think the interlude sounds quite magical - Don't know why Frances was worried.
As for vocals - well you know what i think of my voice - so I'll let others judge that. It's funny, but the second half, the bit i struggled with, sounds best to me. How things work...

You've done a good job. It's different and interesting. Thanks for letting me take part.

Cheers,

Digger

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »
xx--xx Awesome!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App