Author Topic: Help required..(melody & chords)  (Read 8671 times)

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Help required..(melody & chords)
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2013, 03:46:20 am »
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:42 am »
Thanks Frances,

very nice, I'll record the acoustic guitar later today and post the results.

I've some ideas for your new guitar parts I hope they work and you like them.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2013, 07:28:34 pm »
I've had a productive day. Unfortunately I haven't got around to mixing the tracks yet. I've recorded the acoustic guitar and some stuff to go over the instrumental interlude, mostly weird noisy stuff.

I'm back at work tomorrow so I'll not have much time. I hope to get the basic rhythm track with Frances' new guitar pieces up on Wednesday evening.

Frances we have time for you to double check the intro and verses 1 and 2 to see if you are happy with them.

The drums will have to wait until the weekend.

The weather's a bit cooler today, no wonder I got so much done.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 04:56:48 pm »
Hi Frances and Digger,

Here is the rough mix with Frances' introduction and segue. I could only hide the electric rhythm guitar thuds with a snare drum. The acoustic guitar would have to be the lead instrument otherwise. Don't worry the drums aren't finished. I included the snare so you could hear the rhythm guitar mix without concentrating on the thuds. I like it.

I've added a little more noise to the musical interlude. I intend to build a few more layers to sit underneath the violin. I hear a nice clean guitar line on top. Frances are you still up for it.

I've included two drum count ins for the beginning of the singing as cues. They will come out once we get the vocal.

All in all I like it. I'm very taken with the Spanish feel to the introduction and first verses. Thoughts and comments please.

Here's the link

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-towards-final-rough/s-xa22N

diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 06:17:45 pm »
Hi,

Sounds great. Some lovely playing in there. Do you have any idea for the vocal melody or can i just try and come up with something? Any particular style to the vocal?
It's 2 verse before the interlude and the other bits afterwards?
After the interlude the rhythm has slight pauses in it is that how it will be?

Cheers,

Digger

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 07:20:32 pm »
Hi,

Sounds great. Some lovely playing in there. Do you have any idea for the vocal melody or can i just try and come up with something? Any particular style to the vocal?
It's 2 verse before the interlude and the other bits afterwards?
After the interlude the rhythm has slight pauses in it is that how it will be?

Cheers,

Digger

Hi Digger,

I can barely sing in tune so it would have been a waste writing out a melody. I think my vocal works within limits. I'd like it to be a bit more melodic if possible. But if you find something that works better please go with it.

I like the way the rhythm goes after the interlude and I hope Frances is happy with it. I like the way you get bits shimmering off the chords. The drums may alter the way the rhythm sounds but I'll not have time to think about the drums until the weekend.

If the vocal's ready by then I can do a John Densmore (I wish) and use the drums to accent the vocal. (Notice the excuse to try and put off doing that bit)

Verse 2 comes before the interlude. "The man in a suit" is the bridge which comes after the interlude and the last verse modulates to D. As I said earlier the lyrics can stay as they are but I'd add another Man in a Suit line to match the music in the bridge. Unless you can get it sounding good without. When I sang it felt strange but worked with the man in a suit line repeated.

Glad you like it. Fingers crossed that Frances does as well.

diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »
Hi,

Done a first idea. I was thinking along Bowie lines a bit. Hope I haven't ruined it.

https://soundcloud.com/digger-72/cyn-vocal-idea/s-GXf6M

I've run the noise reduction over it that's all.
Cheers,

Digger

Stuck it in with a bit of delay and reverb:

https://soundcloud.com/digger-72/cyn-idea/s-NSFlv
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:35:11 pm by digger72 »

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:00 pm »
Hi Digger,

I'm having trouble importing the vocal into Cubase not sure why. It plays ok in winamp but when imported it slows down, sounds weird. Played the new version and it sounds a lot better.

I'm not sure about the bridge. A bit more sneer I think is required. I imagined it being a bit faster which is why I wanted to add more words to make it fit. The vocal then goes with the increase in the tempo. At present it sounds like the vocal is trying to drag the song back to the original tempo. Hope this makes sense. If you try it and it doesn't fit with the melody etc I'll have a rethink.

Listening to my rough vocal the extra words could be The man in the suit, slips money from her purse, etc.

I don't think you've ruined it. I like what you've done apart from the two points I've mentioned.

Back to working out what's happened to the downloaded vocal.

diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2013, 10:45:11 am »
Hi Diadem,

Do you want the whole second section with more bite, or just the first bit after the interlude? Bear in mind I'm even more rubbish at those sorts of vocal.

Not sure about the wav thing - it just exports as wav. The one with the effects was converted to mp3 in audacity. I can do that to the vocal wav if you like.

In Ableton there is a warp button on the track which will correct tracks if they've exported at slightly different tempos. Don't know about Cubase.

Here's a second version:

https://soundcloud.com/digger-72/cyn-vox-2/s-Yv29c

This is the version without any delay, etc

Cheers,

Digger
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:32:45 pm by digger72 »

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:04 pm »
Hi Digger,

yes just the singing in bridge should be a bit sneery. Sort of you say you're tough but you only pick on people weaker than you.

Cubase just exports the wav file as recorded. It doesn't try and fix the speed, at least on the settings I use.

Its been a long day. I'm off tomorrow so I'll have another play around then. If we have no joy I'll try and find an alternative.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2013, 08:23:15 pm »
Hi Frances,

not heard from you for a while. Do you like the way the song is going? Most of what is good about the song is down to you and I'd like to hear your opinion.

Digger, I've found a way of getting the vocal into Cubase. I like the verses but the bridge doesn't seem to be working the way I expect. I'll put my thinking cap on and try and find out why over the next day or so.

The hot weather is playing havoc with my health, but I've booked a couple of days off, so I can get my bearings back.

diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2013, 08:44:17 pm »
Hi Diadem,

No worries. Just let me know what you want changing. I tried something more Johnny Rotten over the bridge but it seemed too aggressive for the music.

Cheers,

Digger

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2013, 05:47:38 am »
well,well, well, hooray for me then (runs around in a little circle"yay!")ok, i'm done.thanks

i'm very pleased with it so far. sorry about the static, i've uploaded a cleaner version of verse 1 and 2 and will upload the intro tomorrow. it is interfering with the vocals though and will have to be turned down and put in a corner .
 diggers vocals are good,and yes, the rhythm is being difficult with the lyrics in the second part though, we may have to try a few things.
 digger, i feel like you're deliberately avoiding melodic similarities to the first part, sometimes self imitation in an different atmosphere can work. i hope that's helpful in some way. :-\
  the instrumental is awesome.... would it be wrong to put an advertisement in there?
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2013, 06:51:23 am »
well,well, well, hooray for me then (runs around in a little circle"yay!")ok, i'm done.thanks

i'm very pleased with it so far. sorry about the static, i've uploaded a cleaner version of verse 1 and 2 and will upload the intro tomorrow. it is interfering with the vocals though and will have to be turned down and put in a corner .
 diggers vocals are good,and yes, the rhythm is being difficult with the lyrics in the second part though, we may have to try a few things.
 digger, i feel like you're deliberately avoiding melodic similarities to the first part, sometimes self imitation in an different atmosphere can work. i hope that's helpful in some way. :-\
  the instrumental is awesome.... would it be wrong to put an advertisement in there?

Sorry Frances, the static came from my processing. I'll check the cleaner versions to see if I get the same results. I can't hear any conflict with the vocal. I think they compliment each other.

I'm going to have another listen to the bridge. I'm reluctant to start pulling apart what we already have just to fit the words as I like it. Its going to be easier to make the words fit what we have.

The instrumental is slowly getting its added guitar layers. I think I've another 2 or 3 to go before sorting out the balance. I'd like an advertisement for your clean guitar playing, maybe something along the lines of the introduction/verses. It has a very nice Spanish feel to me. Any other advert would be distorted and reversed. Maybe something for our next collaboration?

I'm glad you liked it, I was getting worried you didn't.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:20 am »
Hi Digger,

today my head is clearer and the weather cooler.

The easy bit. I'd knock out the last "one true love" at the end and slow down the one before it so it drags against the beat and fades off just before the music does.

I feel head in her hand is an important lyric, one of the main reasons I wrote it, sorry, a bit clearer please.

Now the bridge, I hear it like this (contradicts what I wrote previously) The man in the suit (over the Dm) says he's tough (over A#) Liitle John in (over the A) reverse (over the Gm). I'd add after "that's right" as the bridge comes to an end an "he" just to take it a little further into the bar.

So what we have is the bridge starting slow and speeding up. That seems to fit with the way the song develops. We'd have the music getting faster but the vocal dragging a little until it catches up. I'm not sure how difficult that would be to sing, one of the benefits of not knowing what I'm asking technically.

If it doesn't work we'll have to go back to the drawing board. Hopefully it will.

Quite a lot of words but I think we are getting close.

Frances I've imported the redone verses 1 and 2 and they sound a lot better, no static. Just waiting for the introduction. Hopefully I can remember how I joined them together.

diadem

diadem

Get The Forum As A Mobile App