Author Topic: Help required..(melody & chords)  (Read 6853 times)

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Help required.....
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 05:28:08 pm »
here is the rhythm. https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/rhythm

the drum goes - 8, 16,16,8, 16, 16,8,16,16,16,16,16,16.

or 1-, and a 2-, and a 3-,and a four e and a.

its easier to hit the key quickly if you stick out your elbows like you have bad table manners. i use my right hand keeping a steady eighth note beat and my left for those that fall between.
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 07:38:53 pm »
Thanks Frances,

I'll have a go at putting everything together over the next few days.

My health has taken a slight turn for the worse, something to do with the heat. I feel a bit better today but if I slow down a bit you'll know why.

I'll try getting the drums right. If all else fails I could just cheat and draw all the beats in. You still want me to start on beat 2?

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 08:26:25 pm »
What? start the drums on beat 2? (goes in reaper and moves drums) well, it sounds sort of cool but i like better the other way.......good, then maybe i'll be able to keep up with you. take care,
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 09:53:01 pm »
What? start the drums on beat 2? (goes in reaper and moves drums) well, it sounds sort of cool but i like better the other way.......good, then maybe i'll be able to keep up with you. take care,

You suggested starting on beat 2 in an earlier post.

Thanks for the concern. I've lived with it for 5 years, its not going away and I've learned to do what it says, usually. So a bit of rest whilst waiting for the weather to break is in order.

Sometimes I pull its tail so I can pretend its not in charge. But not this week.

;)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: Help required..(melody & chords)
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 07:35:48 pm »
I've had a lazy day and I'm fine. Its very hot though.

I'm off back to work tomorrow but should have something up over the weekend.

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2013, 12:24:05 am »
cool, i played with an idea for the switchover to the noisy part but now realize that i was using guide mix two so we'll have to see if it works because i sort of like that little silence in the one with the vocals. do you sort of see what i'm trying to do? with taking the last chord and making it louder and more distorted.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/segue

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2013, 07:24:00 am »
cool, i played with an idea for the switchover to the noisy part but now realize that i was using guide mix two so we'll have to see if it works because i sort of like that little silence in the one with the vocals. do you sort of see what i'm trying to do? with taking the last chord and making it louder and more distorted.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/segue

Hi Frances,

I think it works, but like you, also like the way the song stops with the repeat of the vocal over silence with the instrumental interlude emerging from the depths. In cinematic terms it would be the point were the shadow appears and the audience starts to get a little jittery.

Over the weekend I'll put together another rough mix, one with the silence and one without. Digger can then test his vocal against both and see which one he prefers singing over. Of course we could not repeat the refrain.

One of those circumstances where we'll know it when we hear it I suspect.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 04:41:58 pm »
Its ok, I've slowed down and despite a break in the weather feel drained.

I have mixed my acoustic guitar and Frances' electric. I've included the electric violin break so we can see where everything fits. I'm happy with the mix, so please speak up if you don't agree. I intend to use this as the foundation on which to build up the final track.

This version is the one with the silence before the violin starts for Digger to repeat the last line of the refrain. I'll try and do the segue version either today or tomorrow.

I have added a drum count in for Digger so he knows when the verse and bridge start. This will be coming out together other bits of noise once we have the vocal.

The drums have caused me a problem they sound too busy. I did think about using the rhythm on the hi hats but I'm not a great fan of hats. I prefer crashes. Once we have agreement on the basic rhythm track I'll play around with the drums and put them up.

The bits we still need are;

vocal
Frances's guitar introduction
My arpeggio
Guitar over the violin
drums
bass for the bridge and last verse, and
guitar lines for the bridge and last verse.

I don't think we are that far away. What we have sounds sweet to me. Once we sort the drums the bass will follow. We have a rough version of Frances' guitar introduction and first two verses and I'll start practising the arpeggio later today.

Here's the link

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-towards-a-final-mix/s-C058G

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 08:25:04 am »
Hi Frances,

do you think you could use the most recent version of the rhythm demo to recreate what you did with the segue? Its seems a better solution than me trying to cut and past your segue with what I produced.

Thanks,

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 03:29:57 pm »
oh ,yeah.    is there going to be acoustic in the second part? with the electric so far to the front the percussive strikes are sort of distracting and unpleasant.   

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »
Hi Frances,

I wasn't going to put any acoustic guitar on the bridge and last verse. I'll have a play and see what happens to the electric. I liked the percussive hits, but if you think there unpleasant I'll mask them with something else.

I've deleted towards a rough mix 1, it didn't have the drum count ins I mentioned, weird how that happened.

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-towards-a-final-mix/s-qLLsI

Let me know if there's any problem recreating the segue and I'll try and put it on here.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »
theres no problem recreating it, it's very straight forward. i'm just learning to use the envelope as i go, otherwise this would be done in like two seconds. (now why's it not working? oh yeah, the same reason it wasn't working last time. i'm a rote learner, can you tell? ::)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 06:02:25 pm »
Hi Frances,

no I can't tell. I have a similar problem with this amber button. If its on the track doesn't mixdown. Stuff I think is there just isn't. It pops up know and again as if by magic. One day I'll try and learn what I'm doing.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 07:24:38 pm »

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 10:19:25 pm »
so, heres what i've got.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/segue3

downloaded and I'll have a play tomorrow.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App