Author Topic: Help required..(melody & chords)  (Read 6849 times)

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Help required.....
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 05:15:04 pm »
  yup, that e does sound weird, sry about that.

yes, i do have a keyboard, two in fact,what do you want with it?

I was totally having a rave party with the looper the other day, it was fun. i figure that i set out to learn guitar, not how to tap out a drum beat on a keyboard, i don't like premade loops though.

I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 05:42:07 pm »
Hi Frances,

time to take stock I think (reply to your last post is at the bottom).

Your arpeggio made me want to do the song, I'd like to keep it. We have a problem with my chord progression. We can dump it or think of something different to do over it. This isn't as stupid as it sounds as the refrain will be sang over it.

I like the idea of the song have two tempos, but could be persuaded to increase the speed. It may make singing over it easier.

I don't like the drums going into the instrumental. They will be coming out. A continuation of the arpeggio for a bar would be interesting, especially if we do something weird with the last note as you suggested.

Liked the electric rhythm guitar. Do you fancy doing 4 recordings of the rhythm for the bridge and the last verse, the chords are on one of the demos I posted. If you can't find them I'll repost them. No lead work just yet. If you do, try different pickup selections and if you have access to amp modelling, use different amp models. You could them all on one downloadable track and I'll cut and paste, just leave enough silence between each take. The tempo is 109bpm, I don't think we need to play over the rough demos.

As I said we have a democratic band room, if you disagree just say so.

The weather's taking most of my energy, so its time for a cup of tea, methinks.

Its coming together nicely I think.

diadem

ps  just seen your last post. It may be easier to play the arpeggio on keyboard, not so many weird hand shapes. The only problem would be the sustain on the last note of the introduction, but a nice grand piano would sound good.

I don't know how to do loops, so its just tapping on the keyboard for me.

No need to apologise, weird can be fun.

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 06:35:38 am »
 weird isn't good in this instance. i like the way the electric sounds underneath the acoustic. 
...yeah that's part of the problem with the arpeggio, trying to keep it sounding ok without it being fidgety with the vocals.
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 07:22:28 am »
Hi Frances,

I'm going to Leeds today for work, not fun, but better than going to London. I'll sort out the acoustic guitar for the first two verses and hopefully by the weekend I'll be ready to do a guide vocal. We should have enough then to see whether the arpeggio works or not. When I put up the demo of the vocal I may cut and paste your original arpeggio to see how it fits.

If you can record the electric rhythm guitars we will be on the way to completing the basic rhythm track.

I agree I'd prefer the electric guitar over the acoustic.

Well off to work.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 05:11:51 pm »
Thanks Frances, sounds good. I'll download them  later and start work on them tomorrow and Saturday.

I'll have to get my bits done soon,

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »
Arg! crud! i'm not very happy with them, trying get better takes.........didn't want to be doing "just one more" for the next three weeks.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 07:18:15 pm »
If you keep posting them I'll keep downloading them. The more the merrier. I intend to have completed the first two verses with guide vocal together with the bridge and final verse by the end of the weekend. If you're still not happy we'll re-do the last bit. We should have a clearer idea of where we are going. I think we'll be ok.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 09:03:39 pm »
Dear all,

On Saturday, 12 noon UK time I will delete a number of the rough drafts of Cynestasia. I will keep up the Dm to D demo and the one with the drums on. All the others will go. If you want to download them (I can't understand why) you have a couple of days to do so.

Over the weekend I will post some more demos which may be quite close to the finished track and I don't want to clutter up more soundcard account with lots of rough sketches.

Frances I've downloaded everything I need up to Guitar 4 if you want to do something similar.

Thanks,

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:24 pm »
Hi Frances,

this is what I would like your electric rhythm guitar playing to rest on. If you could pick (or record) a nice clean track to go on top. I've recorded the acoustic guitars but need to get a good mix first. I may add the acoustic to the bridge and final verse, depends if it works.

I like the sound of the processed electric guitars but they need a clean dry sound on the top. Hope you like them too.

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-rough-electric/s-srbgS

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 06:54:26 am »
 :D That's a cool trick, i'll remember that one. i think i've almost got this noise thing under control. i don't like the digital noise that noise removal leaves behind but at least it's not that godawful hiss.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/dry-rhythm

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/electric-rythym-mix
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:18:15 am by frances »

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 07:23:35 am »
:D That's a cool trick, i'll remember that one. i think i've almost got this noise thing under control. i don't like the digital noise but at least its not that godawful hiss.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/dry-rhythm

Downloaded. Shame about the hiss I liked it. I was going to leave it in at the end of the electric violin part to see if it sounded ok. Tonight I'll work on the acoustic guitar parts I recorded. It'll take some time because I recorded in stereo with two mics so I could split the results later. In an ideal world I'd have the facility to multi-track without all this messing about, but at least I'll have two slightly different sounds from the two mics.

I like the dry rhythm guitar.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 10:44:20 pm »
Hi Frances,

I'm definitely wilting in this heat. But I have a few days off work. I've started the drums for the bridge and last verse. I'm all set for a go at the vocals tomorrow. I think its coming along nicely. Watch me spoil it with my singing.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 05:16:58 pm »
Don't do the drums over the electric track, it's way off and needs to be redone. recording over it will make the drums off too.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 05:25:36 pm »
Don't do the drums over the electric track, it's way off and needs to be redone. recording over it will make the drums off too.

Its already done, together with the vocals. I'll be having my tea (evening meal) shortly in case its not up. If you just wait a while you can hear the results. I don't think you were that far off.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 05:55:23 pm »
Here it is, I quite like it.

Your electric part missed the first beat of the bar. Once I found that out your timing wasn't very far off my acoustic version. If you want to redo the parts we can start the last bit again.

Hope my singing doesn't put you off.

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-very-rough-mix-1/s-oyqIn

Get The Forum As A Mobile App