Author Topic: Help required..(melody & chords)  (Read 8527 times)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
Re: Help required..(melody & chords)
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2013, 08:13:42 pm »
Thanks Frances and Digger,

I'll master the mix, do a film to go with it and put the finished tune up towards the beginning of next week. There's a festival in Hull on Saturday and I may get some good film. It will be equally credited to all of us, although apart from the words I feel I've contributed the least. All the amazing stuff was done by you two.

I'd also like permission to put it up on a songwriters forum I joined a few weeks ago.

When I've recovered from today we'll have to do it all again.

I feel privileged to have worked with you both. A big tip of the hat, especially to Frances who set the ball rolling and provided some really inspirational playing. Thank you,

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2013, 09:38:43 pm »
Frances and Digger,

once I've mastered the track I'll send you a pm so you can download it. If I'm in the mood I may include a bonus.

Thanks again,

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2013, 08:03:02 am »
My apologies the song will not be released this weekend. One of us is not happy with the bridge and the last verse. I have been sent a draft bass line which is beyond my limited ability. I have difficulty playing 8th note rhythms, so 16th note patterns are beyond me at the minute.  From what I've heard the drums and the vocal may have to be redone as well.

I don't feel I've anything left to contribute musically to the final part of the song.

I've decided to post one of my early draft mixes, without the bass and electric rhythm guitar, vocal or full instrumental section, to allow Frances and Digger to work on the bridge and final verse. I'm prepared to complete the final mix but would prefer receiving all the new stems in one go so I can sit down and get it finished. The draft should be enough for Frances and Digger to see what the changes will sound like.

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/cynestasia-rhythm-mix-23/s-Wg44g

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2013, 03:20:39 am »
 either you misunderstood my message in which i said the bass line didn't go rhythmically with the pattern i was doing and sent a different pattern for electric, or digger is playing 16th notes on bass, which is cause for celebration. 

the electric part that the other tracks were built on was late in the first measure so i think that part is going to be sort of iffy no matter what. i suspect you trustingly placed the first note right on the gridline and then attempted to play along with my idiocy.

Also, if what you are thinking doesn't lead to you playing music, then what you are thinking is wrong.

if you want to keep the bassline and don't like the new rhythm the i can do something else, like do the same rhythm as the acoustic or something completely different. or we could try it with the acoustic or just have the acoustic by itself, which i think is very beautiful but i also think the vocal would have to be toned down a bit in order to fit well with it. if we have a new bassline i'd like to hear it and we can see if something cool happens from there.

I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2013, 09:23:42 am »
Hi Frances,

There were three pieces of your work that inspired me to complete the collaboration. The first two are fairly obvious, the initial arpeggio and the violin. The third was your electric guitar part for the bridge and verse. When I got that I knew we had a beginning, a middle and an end. It drives the song to its conclusion, not the drums or the bass. It completes the song and I like it, if I had my way it would stay.

I've said it before and I meant it, this collaboration is a democracy. If you don't like the song and want to change it that's ok. The song wouldn't exist without your ideas. I tried putting a 16 note beat to the drums and I didn't like it. It was far too messy rhythmically. The singing, drums, acoustic guitar and bass compliment each other, your electric guitar is the variation that adds something important to the song.

You may ask why not just re-do it? The simple answer is that everything else is based on your electric guitar, the bass, the drums, the acoustic and the singing and its not always exactly on the beat. If you didn't play the exact same timings we'd have to re-do everything and there's no guarantee we'd get the same results or feel, we could end up chasing our tails.

I know where the raggedy bits are, but what we have is a compromise that allows us to keep the 99% (in my opinion) that is good about the song.

I honestly can't play 16 note rhythm on the bass. I'm working on it on the guitar but if you've no natural rhythm it means a lot of hard work. I have gone back to my practice routine so I've not given up music.

Finally, my bass line is a compromise caused by my lack of technical ability (although I now know I can get a job playing dance music in Bohemia  :))) which I buried in the mix. I don't want to re-do anything. I like what we've done and, in spite of a few bits here and there want it to go out as it is.

To me its finished and I like it.

diadem

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:26:39 pm by diademgrove »

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2013, 08:08:04 pm »
Yeah, i think we're just going to have to put that little learning experience away for later. just try throwing this in there and see if it makes a difference . if not, eh,  we've done all we could short of redoing the entire thing.

i don't go around expecting anyone to indulge either my taste in beats or tendency to run an old keyboard through an amp with the gain up. they're both eccentricities and i know it.  ;)

i have this placed at 2:10.985, if that matters to your mixing program.

https://soundcloud.com/user4528050/electric-rhythym

oh yeah, i also think the noisy part is better without my little scale thing, if you want to leave it in that's fine but i think its better without it. 

I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2013, 09:10:18 pm »
Thanks Frances, it works. I need to process it like I did with the other electric guitar tracks. I generally like what you do, no need to apologise.

I also like what you did with the scale thing. To my ears it improves the instrumental break, so unless you really object I'd like to keep it in. Hopefully I'll put up a new mix tomorrow.

diadem

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »
ok, so far so good, sometimes the effects can change everything, so we'll see once that's done. now i'm excited.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2013, 10:51:13 am »
Hi Frances and Digger,

I've sent you final mix 2. I like it, hope you do too.

diadem

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2013, 07:52:08 am »
Hi Frances and Digger,

I've sent you another mix. Please let me know what you think.

diadem

Get The Forum As A Mobile App