Author Topic: Received, but  (Read 4532 times)

Online Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
Received, but
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »
So I got the DVD's today but I'm having a similar problem to what I had with the Beginner's Course videos.  first, if I try to play the 'Making of' on my computer I get out of memory messages and it refuses to play.  I know it's not really out of memory, this is primarily a gaming computer with 12 gigs of ram.  So I try it on the X-Box and it looks like this:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/213/img20130523150315.jpg

It looks like it's maybe widescreen with no option to change it to fit my screen.

I'm not sure if this is a regional thing or what, but the making of CD is pretty unwatchable for me :(  I suppose I will be able to watch them at some point.  Perhaps when I move to the future and buy a widescreen TV  but if how much tV I watch currently is any indication, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Has anyone else had these problems?  Especially the out of memory issue when trying to play it on a computer?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
Re: Received, but
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:12:12 pm »
Dude, I'm really sorry. It is only widescreen, as far as I'm aware it's not possible to both 16:9 and 4:3 on teh same disk.

As for the computer problem, I have no idea. what type of computer?

It's fine on all my macs...

But I've not had much feedback about the dvd yet so I hope others are not havong problems too.

Not ideal, but I'll try ripping it to mov file and then I can get you a download at least... or get it up on YT as a private thing... or something :(

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Online Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:28:45 pm »
Not a huge issue.  This just confirms what I thought.  I need to move into the 21st century with everyone else.

edit:  I seem to have found a workaround for the out of memory issue.  A friend advised that I change the date and time on computer to a couple years ago and try again.  I set it to Oct 2009 and the DVD seems to play fine on the computer now.  I changed the date and time back to normal and it continued working properly.  He tried to explain to me why it does it, he says the DVD was likely created on dated software.  I zoned out as he explained because computer talk makes my brain hurt but I'll pass this much on in case anyone else runs into the issue.  This is a workaround so you can watch it though.

I suspect not too many people will have this issue.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:04:14 pm by Endureth »

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:59:56 pm »
plays fine in mine (4 gig ram, windows 7, windows media player) so it could be a software issue (any updates available for it?)

Try a few different dvd programs and see if it makes any difference (VLC is pretty good at playing practically anything I throw at it, http://www.videolan.org/ )
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:14:12 am »
I just got it out of the mail box. Works fine here. It fired up in Windows Media Player by default.

Works fine in a stand alone Blue Ray / DVD player as well.
Gone

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:14 am »
he says the DVD was likely created on dated software.

Glad you are sorted now.

Interestingly... it was made on dated software, but nearly all pro dvds are because apple refuse to update DVD studio pro because dvd is 'old technology' ;) so everyone I know is still using the old one from years ago!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:08 am »
It's playing great here too, I have the cheapest iMac model currently available here; I believe it's got 4GB RAM and not the fastest processor but no hitches at all. I only got it 2 weeks ago though, so real problems would've been unlikely.

Loved the DVD, by the way. Pulled it out of the post box late at night, after a long and intense meeting for the upcoming Redhead Days but I popped it into my SuperDrive right away. Quite a lovely compilation of footage you got there, it really gave a nice insight into the process. If I missed anything, it would be a blooper reel. You shared some great bloopers in your older videos and they totally cracked me up so some goofs would've been nice but other than that: great!
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
  I changed the date and time back to normal and it continued working properly.

That sounds like you have time sensitive codecs. It will be interesting to see if if it stops working in 30 days.

I think if you update windows and be certain you have good codecs that don't expire everything will be fine.

I don't think this is a manufacturing issue. CD and DVD are made to spec. It's not like that spec changes every day. If X software made a DVD, it's a DVD. After that it's up to your computer to have a valid functional codec to play it back.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App