Author Topic: Justin Guitar Success Stories?  (Read 34799 times)

Offline Fret Buzz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Justin Guitar Success Stories?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 12:53:28 am »
Haha thanks guys. The small successes make it fun.
BC: Restarted July 2017. Currently on Stage 8.

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:47 am »
I taught Katie Melua from scratch and she's sold a gazillion records now and is a very accomplished guitarist :)

I've had a few emails from people who are started on the site and now play in bands with records out and stuff, I must dig them out, cos a success stories page would be a very cool thing to have on the site.
Did this ever happen because it would be really great for the site, I vaguely recall seeing some testimonials but getting endorsements from someone like KM would be a great thing (I mean she learned from Justin before the site existed but still).

The interviews Justin has done with musicians have been really interesting, so interviews with people who learned from the site would be doubly so... maybe a monthly "student spotlight" talking about them and showing their playing. If you got special guests from known bands every now and then, how cool!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 246
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2018, 09:57:46 pm »
I did a speech at my Toastmasters Club about what I have learned about learning, based on my almos 2 years learning guitar on JustinGuitar and this Community. As I sat down a few folk wanted to know when I'd play for them.

Careful what you ask for ...

I played for them this evening.  I did a few songs in the dinner break.  Set list was:

Rodrigues - Jane S Piddy .... because I always thought if I ever "performed" that would be the song
Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop .... because it's new in my repertoire and some different feel using barre chords for the chorus
Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers ... because it was watching Keef that inspired me to get a guitar all those years ago
Bob Dylan -Times Are A Changing ... because it seemed right to do that on my acoustic and it's in 3/4 time, so a little different

And far too soon dinner was over ...

Other than Dead Flowers you've heard my recordings of the songs. I'll record that when I get a chance.

What can I say. Just great fun. Generous audience applauding and heard some singing along. Lots of positive comments afterwards.

I reckon I could get to really liking performing for people. But for now one more unimaginable moment to celebrate and savour, full of gratitude for Justin and the Community who've helped so much to make the dreams real.

Play On ....

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 76
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2018, 10:01:20 pm »
I did a speech at my Toastmasters Club about what I have learned about learning, based on my almos 2 years learning guitar on JustinGuitar and this Community. As I sat down a few folk wanted to know when I'd play for them.

Careful what you ask for ...

I played for them this evening.  I did a few songs in the dinner break.  Set list was:

Rodrigues - Jane S Piddy .... because I always thought if I ever "performed" that would be the song
Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop .... because it's new in my repertoire and some different feel using barre chords for the chorus
Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers ... because it was watching Keef that inspired me to get a guitar all those years ago
Bob Dylan -Times Are A Changing ... because it seemed right to do that on my acoustic and it's in 3/4 time, so a little different

And far too soon dinner was over ...

Other than Dead Flowers you've heard my recordings of the songs. I'll record that when I get a chance.

What can I say. Just great fun. Generous audience applauding and heard some singing along. Lots of positive comments afterwards.

I reckon I could get to really liking performing for people. But for now one more unimaginable moment to celebrate and savour, full of gratitude for Justin and the Community who've helped so much to make the dreams real.

Play On ....
Wow David! That's an awesome accomplishment. Good job! Really happy for you. It sounds like it went really well.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2018, 10:28:24 pm »
I raise a glass and toast your success David.
🍾

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2018, 05:40:57 am »
Wow David! That's an awesome accomplishment. Good job! Really happy for you. It sounds like it went really well.

Thanks Lynn.

🍾

Thanks Richard and I raised one myself afterwards  :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2018, 12:39:00 pm »
I played for them this evening. 

...What can I say. Just great fun. Generous audience applauding and heard some singing along. Lots of positive comments afterwards.

Play On ....

That is great David! Another milestone for sure, not at all surprised it went well. I guess it would be too much to hope for some video snippets? :)

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 12:56:53 pm »
Congratulations David! Sounds like you've had a great time :)

Your accomplishment reminded me of a sentence I've read in a novel by Dickens:
“Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.”

Rock on David :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 01:25:54 pm »
That is great David! Another milestone for sure, not at all surprised it went well. I guess it would be too much to hope for some video snippets? :)

Mari

Thanks very much, Mari.  Indeed ... too much to hope for  :)  The nature of the event made asking somebody to video me with my phone a non-starter.  The closest I think is a photo that was posted up on our Southern Africa Toastmasters FB page.  But maybe something turns up?  OTOH, I was really focused on trying not to make too many boo-boos, so probably best not to have had the extra pressure of a video camera.

Congratulations David! Sounds like you've had a great time :)

Your accomplishment reminded me of a sentence I've read in a novel by Dickens:
“Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.”

Rock on David :)

Yes indeed, Max, now I am even more keen to find some open-mic or other opportunities.

The quote is interesting, curious about the context.  But shall take the positive meaning.  For me that first link was forged the day my work colleague Daniel told me to check out JustinGuitar.com. I said WTx do I have to lose and started the Beginner Course, 16 Dec 2016.  He's tired of me expressing my gratefulness for that connection.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
🍾
I'll raise a mug of tea later tonight! David you truly are an advocate for Justin Guitar and an inspiration to newbies such as myself just starting out.
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 7

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 02:30:50 pm »
Great story, David. I have always been performing with a band, but performing solo is a daunting thought to me!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Online Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 02:36:09 pm »
I'll be giving my first public performance in years this weekend. Solo act lol. If I could be half as successful, I'd be happy David :)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2018, 02:36:34 pm »
Congrats David! Good for you to take that next giant step. And I look forward to hearing your recording of Dead Flowers. Always liked that song.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »
Congrats, David! A well earned achievement, it must have felt good to perform for an audience and take a well deserved round of applause :)
Here's to many more!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2018, 04:05:27 pm »
I'll raise a mug of tea later tonight! David you truly are an advocate for Justin Guitar and an inspiration to newbies such as myself just starting out.

Thanks Pilgrim. Keep at it and soon you'll be one of those wizards that others new to the Forum are inspired by.

Great story, David. I have always been performing with a band, but performing solo is a daunting thought to me!

Thanks Jesper.  I think it being my friendly, supportive Toastmasters Club took the heat off.  Not yet ready to be on a stage performing a gig for people who've come to enjoy a concert.

I'll be giving my first public performance in years this weekend. Solo act lol. If I could be half as successful, I'd be happy David :)

Bala, that is fantastic news.  We have been enjoying your videos here for a while now.  Do what you do in those and you'll surely be rocking the house down.

Congrats David! Good for you to take that next giant step. And I look forward to hearing your recording of Dead Flowers. Always liked that song.

Thanks Hilts, appreciate it. 

Dead Flowers is a great song.  In fact, Sticky Fingers is a great album, fabulous mix of blues/rock/country.  As much as Ronnie and Keef may be best of mates, I think Mick Taylor added something extra special.  It plus Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street are my favourite Stones original albums (I also like the early albums of blues/rock 'n roll covers).  Would love to learn more from these albums ... when I grow up :)

Congrats, David! A well earned achievement, it must have felt good to perform for an audience and take a well deserved round of applause :)
Here's to many more!

Thanks very much, Fox.  Yup, I can't deny it ... even that relatively low key performance was a big thrill

Get The Forum As A Mobile App