Author Topic: Justin Guitar Success Stories?  (Read 12927 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Justin Guitar Success Stories?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 09:14:57 am »
Amelie, you have come so far in your playing / singing / performing.
THAT is definitely success.
Well done and keep it up.
 :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 08:11:48 pm »
@Batwoman; what did I do exactly? Are you positive it's me you are addressing? :D
If I -did- encourage you well that would make my whole weekend!

@Amelie you're a diamond that's being polished. That first live gig of yours already shows Dolly Parton has got a successor and will be blown away. That "twang" in that voice and that cute smile will get you far :D
my band Point Fifty

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 09:12:32 pm »
Although I have been playing around with guitars for a long time  (about 50 years in all) I had never learned a song all of the way through!!! Sounds kinda crazy doesn't it???
The reason is that I always gave up when I came to a bit I couldn't figure out.
With a combination of lessons and Justin's program I have learned Bob Marley's Redemption song all of the way through, it's helped a great deal using a looper pedal to jam along with it and listen to myself playing it so I could see where more attention was needed. I'm nearly ready to post my efforts to show the results of my efforts.
I've also been trying out the 1 minute chord changes - I prefer to play the changes with a metronome, at the moment I can play the A D E series in any or random order at 120 bpm; C Am F G (F & G bar chords) 120 bpm, not really tried much else so far.
I'm learning the Stairway intro to get some fingerstyle on the go and having a go at More than Words (finding the syncopation hard ;) ).
All in all I'm having the most success ever and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline Fox Terrier

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 08:42:04 am »
I played in front of people for the first time without going to pieces this Christmas (an acoustic version of Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody). Success to me!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarkHorse

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 10:39:41 am »
Since it's almost a year since I first picked up a guitar and learned anything I'm gonna share my story. If you'd told me then where I am now I'd have called you crazy. That itself makes my journey a personal success!

On the technical side I began the beginners course on 21st January 2016. "Completed" it around late August and had around twenty tunes learned by the end of consolidation. I'm currently on stage 3 of the IM foundation. I've done Justin's Practical Music Theory and on that side I say I know more than my friends who've been playing 5/10 years longer than me! I can locate keys, chords, notes on the fretboard, intervals etc. I'm blown away by the technical progress I've made but that's a means to an end for me.

I bought a ukulele and figured out some of the chords on that, I've transcribed songs, I'm now adding little riff parts to rhythmic tunes. I plan to record myself and share it on here to get feedback primarily on my singing. I've taken a 10 lesson intermediate guitar class at a local school.

A few months ago even playing a couple of chords in front of someone made me nervous. I've now performed in front of several groups of people, with singing too, and some fairly difficult beginner/intermediate tunes in there. I don't really get nervous anymore!
I'm not special, I had no musical training at all, I didn't know the 12 notes, didn't know what a chord was, took me about 30 attempts to play a clean open D chord. I just practise a lot. There's no secret to it. We've got an amazing resource here with Justin's teaching and you can take your learning so so far with it. Grab that guitar and get practising!

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 08:54:43 am »
Wow DarkHorse, that sounds great!
I hope you keep that train rolling!

don't be furstrated when you notice your pace is slowing down at some point. Let me tell you that's a psychological thing. You still be progressing and learning a bunch but in comparison with the "bigger luggage" you already have, it might appear that you are learning less than before.

You probably get the feeling that you are past the "critical stage", that there is no way back now and grabbing a guitar or uke seems like a natural reflex.

Great story!
my band Point Fifty

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 12:09:42 pm »
Alirght, a little noteworthy success:
I just received word that they will use our single "Keep 'Em Coming" on TV.
"Ketnet", one of the channels of the public broadcasting and aimed at youth, will be using this track in the production of a teen series. It will be a kind of detective story in a surf/skater setting.
They will probably use it as background music at some kind of party.

You can still add this song + the single "sugar" your Spotify, itunes, etc...
Spotify Artist Page: https://play.spotify.com/artist/4Zq7yuNb0hZR5275hc9StP
iTunes band page: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/point-fifty/id1086445180
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/music/artist/Point_Fifty?id=Ayp4gwotsgc4qwzr3b7dwzp7wha&hl=en
my band Point Fifty

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 11:13:44 pm »
Hi everybody. I've been playing for about 4 years now. My biggest success was having some of my songs played on chirp radio in Chicago. It was so exciting to hear that first note! I had been listening to the DJ I sent my songs to for weeks when it finally happened. So cool.

I look back on my time learning from Justin so fondly. I remember easy songs literally taking weeks to learn. The they'd take days. Then a day. It was great.

My favorite thing about playing guitar is how quickly the impossible becomes possible. That chord that seems like gymnastics for your fingers suddenly becomes effortless. Not that I'm a great guitarist or anything, but I've learned enough to know that you should never give up. It gets better really soon!

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2017, 10:40:15 am »
We booked another humble succes this weekend, We won the finals of a local rockrally.
We won a spot on the little local festival and a day of studio time (which we will probably be using to record vocals for an EP)

The biggest win were the countless positive comments and cheers.
the crowd was warm, interested and interactive; a true gift as a band!
Must have been or must fun gig since we started gigging in 2014.

Playing in a band is, especially when starting out, putting in a lot of energy and not getting much back at you. This time, the crowd energized us and made it only go better. I might sound like a bragger here but it'sm ostly because I'm so grateful for the thing that every band should get once in a while to get that extra boost. I guess the lesson is; keep working but keep having fun. The last three 3 gigs we got the feedback that "we seem to make a lot of fun on stage". Looks like it helps a lot! :)

(check the facebookpost and feel free to become fan ;))

https://www.facebook.com/PointFifty/posts/1603185909734011
Instagram users: https://www.instagram.com/pointfiftyband/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:23:23 am by close2u »
my band Point Fifty

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 10:17:52 pm »
Another small step for man but a big one for (our) bandkind:

We got to play on the main stage of a local festival with well known Belgian pop artist lining up.
Because it was my hometown, we were the "local band" on the main stage. Got to live the stardom for one day with drinks, food, our own driver, a big pro stage, even bigger sound system and most of all a good bunch of old -and- new fans! :D

Facebook album: (I'm the one with the red lefty guitar :))
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1640105979375337.1073741838.558585020860777&type=1&l=5a69fd4320
my band Point Fifty

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 07:22:33 am »

Exellent pictures, Lieven! That red guitar is hot, is that a Jaguar?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:25:14 am by close2u »
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 09:53:47 am »
Exellent pictures, Lieven! That red guitar is hot, is that a Jaguar?

It's a Mustang copy by Eastwood. It's a Warren Ellis signature. Warren Ellis is a musican in Nick Cave's band and the initial model was a tenor 4 string. They also made a 6 string version.
It's 23" scale, even one inch shorter than the standard 24".
It's plays fast but it's hard to keep in tune when you play one half step lower AND play half your song in Drop D (so I lower the E 2 whole steps).
Love it though; it's light, it plays so fluent and it fits me like a glove. I'm going to throw on another bridge and locking tuners. I already put a Lace sensor "drop n gain" replacement mini humbucker in it 2 months ago.
my band Point Fifty

Offline Fret Buzz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 01:59:56 am »
Not sure if this counts as a success story, but it sure made MY day...

I'm firmly in the middle of Stage 2 of the BC. But, the other day, just to break things up I peeked at the riff for Down On the Corner (in Stage 3) and thought I'd try it.

After a couple of slow run-throughs I tried it at full speed and it sounded pretty good. So good, that my wife came running into the room with her jaw dropped. "That sounded LIKE something!" she told me.

It wasn't much, but I think it'll carry me through for awhile.  :D
BC: Restarted July 2017. Currently on Stage 4.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 09:32:29 pm »
... that my wife came running into the room with her jaw dropped. "That sounded LIKE something!" she told me.

100% classifies as a success! :D
my band Point Fifty

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 05:40:04 am »
Not sure if this counts as a success story, but it sure made MY day...

I'm firmly in the middle of Stage 2 of the BC. But, the other day, just to break things up I peeked at the riff for Down On the Corner (in Stage 3) and thought I'd try it.

After a couple of slow run-throughs I tried it at full speed and it sounded pretty good. So good, that my wife came running into the room with her jaw dropped. "That sounded LIKE something!" she told me.

It wasn't much, but I think it'll carry me through for awhile.  :D
What a magic moment...for sure success and celebrate it!!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App