Author Topic: Justin Guitar Success Stories?  (Read 49124 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Justin Guitar Success Stories?
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2018, 05:40:57 am »
Wow David! That's an awesome accomplishment. Good job! Really happy for you. It sounds like it went really well.

Thanks Lynn.

I raise a glass and toast your success David.
🍾

Thanks Richard and I raised one myself afterwards  :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2018, 12:39:00 pm »
I played for them this evening. 

...What can I say. Just great fun. Generous audience applauding and heard some singing along. Lots of positive comments afterwards.

I reckon I could get to really liking performing for people. But for now one more unimaginable moment to celebrate and savour, full of gratitude for Justin and the Community who've helped so much to make the dreams real.

Play On ....

That is great David! Another milestone for sure, not at all surprised it went well. I guess it would be too much to hope for some video snippets? :)

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
    • YT-channel
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 12:56:53 pm »
Congratulations David! Sounds like you've had a great time :)

Your accomplishment reminded me of a sentence I've read in a novel by Dickens:
“Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.”

Rock on David :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 01:25:54 pm »
That is great David! Another milestone for sure, not at all surprised it went well. I guess it would be too much to hope for some video snippets? :)

Mari

Thanks very much, Mari.  Indeed ... too much to hope for  :)  The nature of the event made asking somebody to video me with my phone a non-starter.  The closest I think is a photo that was posted up on our Southern Africa Toastmasters FB page.  But maybe something turns up?  OTOH, I was really focused on trying not to make too many boo-boos, so probably best not to have had the extra pressure of a video camera.

Congratulations David! Sounds like you've had a great time :)

Your accomplishment reminded me of a sentence I've read in a novel by Dickens:
“Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.”

Rock on David :)

Yes indeed, Max, now I am even more keen to find some open-mic or other opportunities.

The quote is interesting, curious about the context.  But shall take the positive meaning.  For me that first link was forged the day my work colleague Daniel told me to check out JustinGuitar.com. I said WTx do I have to lose and started the Beginner Course, 16 Dec 2016.  He's tired of me expressing my gratefulness for that connection.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
I raise a glass and toast your success David.
🍾
I'll raise a mug of tea later tonight! David you truly are an advocate for Justin Guitar and an inspiration to newbies such as myself just starting out.
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 02:30:50 pm »
Great story, David. I have always been performing with a band, but performing solo is a daunting thought to me!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 02:36:09 pm »
I'll be giving my first public performance in years this weekend. Solo act lol. If I could be half as successful, I'd be happy David :)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2018, 02:36:34 pm »
Congrats David! Good for you to take that next giant step. And I look forward to hearing your recording of Dead Flowers. Always liked that song.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »
Congrats, David! A well earned achievement, it must have felt good to perform for an audience and take a well deserved round of applause :)
Here's to many more!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2018, 04:05:27 pm »
I'll raise a mug of tea later tonight! David you truly are an advocate for Justin Guitar and an inspiration to newbies such as myself just starting out.

Thanks Pilgrim. Keep at it and soon you'll be one of those wizards that others new to the Forum are inspired by.

Great story, David. I have always been performing with a band, but performing solo is a daunting thought to me!

Thanks Jesper.  I think it being my friendly, supportive Toastmasters Club took the heat off.  Not yet ready to be on a stage performing a gig for people who've come to enjoy a concert.

I'll be giving my first public performance in years this weekend. Solo act lol. If I could be half as successful, I'd be happy David :)

Bala, that is fantastic news.  We have been enjoying your videos here for a while now.  Do what you do in those and you'll surely be rocking the house down.

Congrats David! Good for you to take that next giant step. And I look forward to hearing your recording of Dead Flowers. Always liked that song.

Thanks Hilts, appreciate it. 

Dead Flowers is a great song.  In fact, Sticky Fingers is a great album, fabulous mix of blues/rock/country.  As much as Ronnie and Keef may be best of mates, I think Mick Taylor added something extra special.  It plus Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street are my favourite Stones original albums (I also like the early albums of blues/rock 'n roll covers).  Would love to learn more from these albums ... when I grow up :)

Congrats, David! A well earned achievement, it must have felt good to perform for an audience and take a well deserved round of applause :)
Here's to many more!

Thanks very much, Fox.  Yup, I can't deny it ... even that relatively low key performance was a big thrill

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2018, 04:18:22 pm »
Bala, that is fantastic news.  We have been enjoying your videos here for a while now.  Do what you do in those and you'll surely be rocking the house down.

Thank you David! It's a house party with coworkers/ friends. One of them is a good guitarist and one of the wives is a drummer and her husband is a singer. So this will be fun :) I am planning on doing Queen's crazy little thing called love and The Beatles' hey Jude so that I could try and get them involved :)

But anyways cheers to you David! You passed the audition! :) Wish there was a video! :/

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2018, 01:05:40 am »
David how wonderful to read your post.  :) What a marvelous step forward, out of the Back Room Studio and into the limelight. I can imagine that your skills as a Toastmaster supported you well in engaging with your audience - so important in a performer. Thrilled to bits that your first live, solo, public performance has been so well received. Take a bow.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2018, 05:45:58 am »
David how wonderful to read your post.  :) What a marvelous step forward, out of the Back Room Studio and into the limelight. I can imagine that your skills as a Toastmaster supported you well in engaging with your audience - so important in a performer. Thrilled to bits that your first live, solo, public performance has been so well received. Take a bow.

Thanks very much, Maggie.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2018, 08:33:24 pm »
Very cool, David. I’m jealous, but also happy for you. I played a mini-set for my Mom and Sister when they visited a couple months ago. Played three or four songs and so far it’s my biggest audience yet. Haha. ‘‘Twas fun though.

I must admit I took a quick glance at your YouTube channel to see if maybe there was video of your performance. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2018, 10:20:57 pm »
Very cool, David. I’m jealous, but also happy for you. I played a mini-set for my Mom and Sister when they visited a couple months ago. Played three or four songs and so far it’s my biggest audience yet. Haha. ‘‘Twas fun though.

I must admit I took a quick glance at your YouTube channel to see if maybe there was video of your performance. Haha.

Thanks very much, Tosh.  I'm sure your Mom and Sister were suitably impressed.  Sadly, the timing ... a dinner break in which people were eating while (some) listening ... meant nobody available to record.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2020, 04:46:39 am »
Interesting thread.  I started playing a bit over 8.5 years ago.  Justin's lesson back then on Blowin in the Wind using my index finger on the G string as an anchor for chords A E and D.  Complete beginner then.  Now I'm an intermediate player and loving the guitar life.  My wife has commented many times how thankful she is I picked up the guitar and I've told many that it started with justinguitar.

Since then I've play 75 open mics (some at our music club where I did a stint as president), some at festivals and plenty at local pubs / bars.   Even had a gig at a cafe with a friend as one of those.

As far as gauging success goes? I'm a success beyond my wildest dreams.  As compared to others? I'm an average talent intermediate player / singer.
This is a great story, well done.   It's amazing how time rolls on and all it takes is the love and the alone time putting in thework.  Would love to hear or watch a performance if you're so inclined.   Oh you are definitely a success story as are most of the forumites who are in the process of or have completed the course.  It's amazing to watch the journey.   Justin is super successful at teaching and it's no accident. He's a master communicator and   a wonderful teacher who understands differences in learning from person to person.
Alex

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2020, 06:17:52 am »
Tony,

Thanks for sharing your story. It's encouraging and inspiring to read of how following the JustinGuitar path can lead to success beyond wildest dreams.

Enjoyed watching your OM performance.

Look forward to more recordings of your playing that can be shared in the Audio-Video area of the Forum.

PS Generally considered a poor idea to use an email address as your user-id here ... unless of course you want all and sundry to know that email address.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2020, 07:50:00 am »
Happy to change it. it's a legacy from way back in this site.  Do you have a link to an faq on that?

I don't Tony. If not obvious on your profile page as to how to do this I suggest you send a message to Close2u and LievenDV. They are are Community Moderators and will be able to assist.

Offline ynot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2020, 10:02:57 am »
Reposting as I changed my account....

Interesting thread.  I started playing a bit over 8.5 years ago.  Justin's lesson back then on Blowin in the Wind using my index finger on the G string as an anchor for chords A E and D.  Complete beginner then.  Now I'm an intermediate player and loving the guitar life.  My wife has commented many times how thankful she is I picked up the guitar and I've told many that it started with justinguitar.

Since then I've played 75 open mics (some at our music club where I did a stint as president), some at festivals and plenty at local pubs / bars.   Even had a gig at a cafe with a friend as one of those.

As far as gauging success goes? I'm a success beyond my wildest dreams.  As compared to others? I'm an average talent intermediate player / singer.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 10:50:17 am »
Reposting as I changed my account....

Since then I've played 75 open mics (some at our music club where I did a stint as president), some at festivals and plenty at local pubs / bars.   Even had a gig at a cafe with a friend as one of those.

ynotTony

Why not indeed

Do love me a palindrome :) Makes me think of Monty Python which is top of mind while I am watching a Netflix documentary on their origins, but I digress, best I stop ...

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
    • My Road Case
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2020, 11:52:52 am »
As far as gauging success goes? I'm a success beyond my wildest dreams.

That's the best kind of success.

Nice one, and thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Keith

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2020, 03:27:17 pm »
@ ynotTony,
Love to hear this and hope to post similar in 6 years  :)

Do love me a palindrome
A TOYOTA, not only a palindrome, but also symmetrical and the same in mirror image  :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2020, 06:37:26 pm »
Great success story Tony thanks for sharing.

Cheers

yboT
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline ynot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2020, 09:37:21 pm »
ybot.  Nice chopper.  Had one of those in my youth.  Rode many a mile along the canyons of the coast and to the malibus. 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2020, 08:11:37 am »
ybot.  Nice chopper.  Had one of those in my youth.  Rode many a mile along the canyons of the coast and to the malibus.

Tony

Not me I'm afraid its Denis Hoppers bike from Easy Rider. But I do have a Dyna Low Rider in the garage. That route sounds great, happy days hey ?

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App