Author Topic: Justin Guitar Success Stories?  (Read 34786 times)

Offline Fozjg

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: Justin Guitar Success Stories?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 04:29:20 am »
I think questions like this come up every so often... I don't know if there is any one place or forum on the website that is dedicate to that but many people who post or have posted on this forum have probably benefited from justin's lessons at some point or another...

Personally, I started from scratch with his lessons and I would say 90% of how far I've come is due to working through the beginner course and trying to be as patient as possible.  I do know that when I was first starting out I was curious to find out "how long" the process takes. I also got tired of hearing or reading, "everyone's different." However, that is true. Yet, at the same time what's also true is that it is hard and takes a lot of time. I don't think a lot of people want to say that though. Notice I didn't say a "long" time but a "lot" of time. 

You search for "success stories" and pick out some of the threads that touch on it. Also check out the Audio/Video of yourself forum that has people posting their own playing. I've been trying to record my progress every 50 hours or so and post a few videos. My long term goal is to be able to hear/see a vast improvement  over years or playing and practicing. There's also some pretty fantastic audio/video thats gets posted by members in there that sometimes makes me feel bad for junking the place up haha.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 06:15:56 am »
I started the beginners course in February. Back the I couldn't play anything. I recently finished it, and I can now play heaps of songs. That is a success story in my book.
As mentioned, it is hard and takes time. Just the way I like it.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline grebber

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 04:15:27 pm »
i will be a success story in a few years  :P
i consider myself one now just for the simple fact i havent given up!!
and if you knew me you would agree. plain and simple justins sight in the last 2 months taught me more then the countless other attempts i tried guitar with real teachers. nothing wrong with the other teachers, just that justins way of teaching and being able to go at my own pace just clicks

Offline Newand(hopefully)willing

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 09:26:00 pm »
Since other newbies have expressed their successes, I'd like to chime in as well.

I've never played guitar properly before my brother bought me an electric one back in November. Since then I've been at it non-stop with maybe 6-7 days of not playing. Before joining the site and learning from Justin's lessons i didn't know diddlysquat. Two and a half months later i know how to play 13 chords,  can play a handful of the beginner songs and have even started to fiddle on the guitar a bit. I'm also working on the riff from Don't fear the reaper, and it is coming along nicely.

The best part of this course is that you get constant encouragement and trackable "micro-successes". It really helps you keep at it when you come from "holy smoke, these chords / changes / songs are IMPOSSIBLE!" to executing them confidently in a few weeks time.  Not to mention the cumulative effect - everything you learn gets used somewhere else. I tried playing Live forever by Oasis for the FIRST TIME today and, apart from the Fmaj9 of course, was pretty much nailing it with basic down strums by the time the session was over. It's a pretty good feeling when you can adapt what you've elarned to a new situation and know that it wouldn't be possible without a smart and structured system such as Justin's.

Of course i have long term goals -  songs i wish to eventually learn, being able to improvise etc. The time it would have taken me to get there 3 months ago was NEVER. Now it is just a matter of perseverance and a few dozen months until I'll have songs under my fingertips I've previously only dreamed of playing for 10+ years.

In short, the fact that all of us have started this and are improving is a great success story on its own.

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 02:33:27 pm »
I feel as though I'm a justinguitar success story, though I guess that depends how you define success  ;D

I've been playing pretty much exactly 18 months and started from scratch from this site. I've finished the BC and am slowly making my way through the IM.

Quite a while back I met my initial goal of being able to play and sing some of my favourite songs. What has surprised me is how playing guitar has become such an important part of my life. I play at a local bluegrass jam and am no longer (always) the worst player. I'm about to spend a week away at a music camp and am talking to someone from my jam about forming a band (a duo is a band, right?  ;)). On this forum I made some really great friends and we have a monthly google hangout where we play for each other and chat guitars (we all live in different parts of the world).  All these things make me really happy!

Maybe this belongs in the thank you thread and not here, but Justin's site is just so amazing. I've bought loads of books and DVDs to pay it back, but the joy that learning guitar has brought me is worth so much to me. Huge thanks and positive vibes to Justin and everyone who keeps this place going.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 157
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:30 pm »
Pipsickle: If it feels like a success to you, it's a valid success for us; great story :)

-- to everybody --

This is your chance to support  "local talent"!

Saturday, 28th of April, between 8 and 10 GMT time, the BBC Local Radio will feature talents from this forum. In the program "The Beat", you will here "The Comfortably Strange".
This is the band of Digger72 and Katja, 2 talented members of this forum.
They don't do live shows as Digger lives in England and Katja lives in Germany so this radio airplay is their gig. Let's all show up, listen and respond to the radio station!

AFTER THE SONG IS PLAYED, I will send a cheerful and positive feedback about the song.
YOU SHOULD TOO so the chances for them to score more radio play can grow!

[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/beatonthebeeb

Then there are two Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/beatonthebeeb
https://twitter.com/bbcintroemids

London (United Kingdom - England)...   Saturday, 28 March 2015, 20:00:00   GMT   UTC
Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California)   ...Saturday, 28 March 2015, 13:00:00   PDT   UTC-7 hours
New York (U.S.A. - New York)...   Saturday, 28 March 2015, 16:00:00   EDT   UTC-4 hours
Paris (France)   ...Saturday, 28 March 2015, 21:00:00   CET   UTC+1 hour
Auckland (New Zealand)...   Sunday, 29 March 2015, 09:00:00   NZDT   UTC+13 hours
Moscow (Russia)...   Saturday, 28 March 2015, 23:00:00   MSK   UTC+3 hours

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »
@LievenDV great to hear as I'm a big fan of the "The Comfortably Strange" style...which really does sum up the style of music. I'll be listening in.

Again in terms of success I can only add what others have in that I started from scratch with no music background in November 2013 and have probably achieved more than I ever thought possible. Back then I'd have been astounded at the progress I've made , sitting here now I just want to get better.

The incremental nature of the BC is great in slowly leading you into guitar in bite sized pieces enabling to build your knowledge and ability step by step. It needs some commitment BUT again that only grows as you progress through the course and to be honest as you make more progress you naturally give more time (if you can) as you're eager to learn more and play better.

However its not just the BC that makes the difference but also the materials (in particular the BSB which cleverly builds on techniques through real songs) and of course this forum on which I've met many friends from all over the world. As it stands at the moment I haven't got a forum for playing live outside of the home so the community on here satisfies that need and provides lots of support and encouragement along the way.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:40 pm »
I started Justin's course in 2010 (at 40 years old) with a goal to be a usable guitar player in our church worship band and to be able to have fun with music again at home.  I was a very accomplished musician on wind instruments when I was a kid (performed a solo as an invited guest in concert with the Oklahoma City symphony when I was 14 years old on Bassoon).  I had a falling out with my band director in 11th grade and put my instrument away and walked away from music for 10 years.  Tried picking up a soprano sax when I was 27 and tried on and off for 13 years to learn to play it again but the sound that came out of the horn was so painful to listen to that I just couldn't stick with it.  I REALLY missed playing music as it had been a large part of my life and I've always loved music.  So I decided to get a new instrument that I'd never played before so that even if it sounded awful that it wouldn't be so painful to listen to - that's what brought me to Justin.

So after about a year having gone through the BC course I did start playing with our worship band.  Since then have continued to improve and I now play lead, intro songs, have solo's, etc.  I'm also hosting monthly jam sessions with some of the musicians from the worship band and a couple others.  Having a blast with music again, playing in front of crowds regularly, etc.  We're going to record a full album soon with the band from the jam sessions - of original music from one of the members.  So I'd call that a success story - I've gone way further than even my goal was when I started here.  It's mostly due to Justin's tutelage and the forum here for answering a ton of questions of mine.  I've also taken some lessons locally but I'd say 95% of what I've learned came from here. 

Here's a thread with some of my story: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=34521.msg307203#msg307203

and a pic of our worship band (I'm on the far right):

Here's a thread with a video from our first jam session here at my house - https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=36792.msg315593#msg315593 .  We listened to his demo recording of that song once, we played it through once, then I recorded that video - so that was literally the 2nd time we'd played that song.

I've put thanks on here a number of times but it can never be said enough - THANK YOU Justin for giving me the gift of music in my life again! and thank you to the forum members here for answering many questions and helping me along the journey!

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 05:52:36 am »
I am a success according to own my definition. No one else's definition really matters to me.   I started from scratch 5 years ago.  One of my goals was to play in a band and  I am playing in a band with 4 other guys. I will forever be learning as I go!  It is so much fun though! It's the most ultimate euphoric feeling that there is!  Well for me,  that is! 

To be having so much fun and being able to pursue my passion playing my guitar = priceless

That is my definition of success!

Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 157
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 07:30:13 am »
Right on LnK! Scoring a gig, getting on stage, bring that show. Looks like you got addicted to the taste of that little thrill as well ;)

Steve, doing well buddy. For many of us, Justin was The booster, for kicking off or renewing our "musical momentum".

Great stories guys. Successes indeed :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 07:21:57 pm »
Goods stories indeed. Success is whatever we want it to be and for me the measure is not what you've done or achieved, but how far you've travelled to get there.

Offline SunBurstUK

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • :-)
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 11:51:06 pm »

I feel successful in the fact I am sticking at this have gone through a lot of pain and I havent let it get the better at me.ok, so my guitar playing is sloppy in places as dont know all songs and rhythm patterns well lol and can mainly play songs from book and know only a couple each stage off memory  and at times having to rest a lot due to it so it can heal but, I am now at stage 4, that to me is a success because I havent walked away at stage 1!
 I am happy for everyones success here its nice to read that people are pushing forwards.I feel successful in the fact at stage 4 playing roberta flack and so far on first try only the B7 is messing up the song.
really enjoying learning its addictive fun! ;D
"If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and  try again"

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 11:38:30 am »
Hi Sunburst,

I'm with you 100% - success is how we choose to measure it. If that's battling through adversity and doing things you never thought you'd be able to do, then hats off.

Keep at it.
Digger

Offline SunBurstUK

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • :-)
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 03:36:33 pm »

Thanks Digger spot on! I actually sat and played lay down sally today and a few songs in stages upto 4!I still play stage 1 chords better then the other stages lol! I managed not to stop strumming even if made a mistake. :P as shy as I am while I sat on edge on bed and brother was fixing my pc I managed to get through them songs. I haven't played infront of my brother before or family I was shaking lol its really nerve wracking to let family hear you! :o
 I have no idea how you all get that courage, I use to have that and sung infront of people and groups behind me at college but thats using keyboards/synths. I can barely remember chord son synth too long ago but..wow now it makes me nervous.now guitar is so different. :oim not that old inside im still a kid expecting thundercats on tv or Mask on saturday afternoon lol!
"If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and  try again"

Offline Amelie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 06:11:27 pm »
When I was in 5th grade I wanted to perform at my school talent show. But I had never taken any lessons. My dad got me a guitar for Christmas and I watched Justin's videos and practiced. This is the video from the talent show. It was the first time I ever played in public. That was 18 months ago. I'm still working hard and trying to be a better player and singer.

https://youtu.be/zOdH-Tr3oOY

Get The Forum As A Mobile App