Author Topic: Help us improve the forum ...  (Read 1475 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
Re: Help us improve the forum ...
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 06:34:19 pm »
That made me laugh Clint (or should that be LOL?)
You wouldn't get notifications from me anyway- Look at the way I leave a gap between the @ and username. Never knew this was for tagging. I just saw others doing it and presumed it was forum etiquette, so tried to assimilate.
Yup, y'all can call me B-Rex.
(I joke you not: my DVD player and microwave are both blinking 12:00 as I type  ::))

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 06:44:36 pm »
I think the forum works pretty well, somebody mentioned avatars, but you can already add one.

I mostly use the UnreadPosts and NewReplies features of the site to catch new posts, I rarely go through the main forum list and just browse for stuff.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 04:18:36 pm »
I only have the option to add an avatar by url and no matter what I enter in it never gets saved.

Unread messages are only recent messages for that particular day. If you skip a day or two you will miss new unread posts using that feature.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 03:18:56 am »
Unread messages are only recent messages for that particular day. If you skip a day or two you will miss new unread posts using that feature.

Not in my experience. However, it is easily to miss new messages because of the way most forum software (including this one, I believe) handle unread messages.

It's actually impractical to keep a complete record of every single message read by every single user and use that to track unread messages. The data storage and processing requirements for this are huge and, on a busy forum, it could take several minutes to retrieve and process the data every time you click on the unread posts button.

So most (probably all) forum apps "cheat" by only recording the date of the last message or thread you read and assuming that all message before then were read, and all messages after are "new". Sometimes they will do this for the whole forum, and sometimes they will individually track sections.

The down side of this is if you read a newer message, any older messages you've not read yet will then get marked as unread, and next time the unread list gets refreshed, those messages will probably disappear from it. IMO, if you aren't seeing all the messages in the unread list, then this is partly the reason.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 03:45:07 am »
The only thing I find annoying is that you can't upload audio/video/photos directly to the page.

When it comes to video or audio, I tend to agree with Stitch: there's plenty of good audio/video sites out there you can use, and they integrate well with the forum.

IMO, uploading audio or video is typically only done when someone is posting a performance. That is enough of an effort that uploading it to Youtube or Soundcloud isn't that much more of a problem compared to if you could upload it directly to the forum. It also allows you to share your work wider than this forum which most people will want the option to do.

Also, as Stitch points out, the additional storage, processing and bandwidth costs to do this would be significant. Yes, storage is relatively cheap, but you would need a lot of it and it would continue to grow on a daily basis. I would estimate it may be 10-20 times more expensive to run the forum if all of the member-created videos were stored on the forum. That's a conservative estimate. The costs could easily skyrocket, making the whole forum untenable.

Images, on the other hand, I'm a bit more amenable to. I think these are different in a way: not only are they often not a "performance" as such, but they also may be things like screen shots, or images of music score, fretboard diagrams, and so on. In my experience these are a pain to have to push to an appropriate photo sharing site, share, copy the URL, and so on and I sometimes wish there was an easier way.

Again storing this stuff on the forum would raise costs, although not so dramatically as audio and video would.

A second aspect to this is security: uploading this stuff would require that the administrators kept a close eye on security issues with libraries and kept both the forum and the server OS and libraries up to date. There have been vulnerabilities with libraries (especially graphics libraries) which have allowed forms to be hacked.

A third aspect is controlling user behaviour: given the ability to easily upload images, some users would abuse this. Spam is a big problem on forums. When I was a moderator on a popular forum, 95% of or moderation time was spent dealing with spam. Images give another vector that spammers can use (and some of it can be quite offensive). There are methods to help with that, of course, and the system we have where a user has to post a number of times before they can post links could be applied to image uploads too.

I also think that the image size and types of image format should be limited to encourage large photos to be shared from photo sharing sites, and images disallowed in signatures.

Also an AUP stating things like no memes or images containing just text, no animated gifs, etc. not only to limit the cost of storage, but to prevent behaviour that annoys others. Also no copyright material.

(Copyright, by the way, could be a big issue).

The other thing to consider is, if image upload was easy, what might our annoyed "friend" Fresher do with  one of his sock-puppet accounts.

Things to think about...

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 11:11:46 am »
I think the forum works pretty well, somebody mentioned avatars, but you can already add one.

Pretty sure it's been quite some time since the avatar feature worked. Every so often somebody posts that they can't add an avatar and the response is usually that it hasn't worked for a few years. Even just now, I tried to change my avatar to no avail. Luckily, I added my avatar when I first registered over 5 years ago.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 05:03:27 pm »
@Majik, better than an unread page that is user specific and expires in a day is a new posts page with pagination. It's a common forum feature.

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:46 pm »
Being able to upload files like many forums do would be great.

In fact using a more modern forum software which supports pasting images directly into the edit box is SO useful once you get used to it.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 08:27:11 pm »
No complaints.

This is one of the better forums out there.  The people are nice, the mods are fair, and the participation from users is high.

I'm not even a guitarist and I hang out here.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 459
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 11:23:18 am »

This url is for all unread messages regardless of date of posting.
I have it as my bookmark.

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 256
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2019, 11:52:10 am »
This url is for all unread messages regardless of date of posting.
I have it as my bookmark.

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

A useful bookmark, thanks Richard

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 459
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 10:21:03 pm »
Update.

Lieven and I have been compiling comments and suggestions with a view to picking over useful / practical / possible tweaks.

Also, I have spent a large part of today rearranging the forum. You will notice that many threads and sections have been moved.  Please let me know your initial thoughts - if you have any - on these changes. It is a work in progress.

:)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 12:51:05 am »
Having had a good look (the first time for a while) I think that it looks much less cluttered and easier to navigate, well done!,,
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Get The Forum As A Mobile App