Author Topic: Justin Guitar Success Stories?  (Read 32777 times)

Offline Trun89410

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Justin Guitar Success Stories?
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:12:14 am »
Hi all,

I'm still new to these forums.  I see lots of threads but haven't seen one for success stories.  I can't write one yet but was hoping to be inspired by hearing from people who started Justin's course as complete beginners and made it all the way through and how they felt about their playing ability then.

Is there a thread where those can be found?  If not, would anyone be willing to share their story here?

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Justin Guitar Success Stories?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:09:01 pm »
Depends how you choose to define success.
If the aim is to learn how to play, the "audio or video of you playing" section is full of success stories.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Sasquatch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Guitar Zero
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »
I define success as bringing joy to the world one song at a time.  ;D

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 02:51:23 pm »
"success" is idd a relative word as we all have different goals.

- Marcus for instance is making very cool music with SandmarX.
- Katja, Digger and Endureth live in different countries but already covered and created several songs together.
- some beginners, young and old, amaze us and theirselves with their progress.
- there is some cool songwriting going on here; or people DARING to record themselves and post it here.
All success-stories to me!

for me success is the baby steps in pushing the boundaries and getting out of my comfort zone every time by playing and later on also singing in front of people.

Ths forum is filled with succes if you look a it that way.
If you are lookng for popstar success, you migh want to seek out inactive users, as they don't have time for this forum anymore? :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:13:49 pm by LievenDV »
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »
@ LievenDV
Well said. Almost brought tears to my eyes ;).

people who started Justin's course as complete beginners and made it all the way through and how they felt about their playing ability then.
There might be some threads on this subject, but probably buried with "obscure" titles.

In one month, I'm playing with my two bands in a local restaurant (or in the street) in front of many people. I feel confident with my skills, even though I know the road is still long and hard. Like Tourniquet said : go to the "audio or video of you playing" section :).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:18:23 am by close2u »
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »
There is a point to which I can play.A degree of soreness and/or fatigue,that once I reach,that I know from all prior experience,is going to cause me to take the next day off to recover.At the very least it'll cause me to take it very easy the next day or two.I've focused,very intensely on addressing this,since recovering from severe wrist pain suffered last October,with almost no noticeable improvement.Very discouraging.
Over the past months,I've spent hours each on things like bends,hammer on/pulloffs,finger gym stuff,trills,varied fingerings for scales,scales out the ying yang,shaping and moving barre chords and more.All with an eye,aside from the obvious benefits,toward building strength and durability.Hours on each,but a few minutes at a time,since that's all I could manage.Trying to get to the recommended 5 minutes,coming close on some.No real measureable progress... :(

Then this past week,out of nowhere ;D,I caught myself some 20 minutes deep into bends and curls one day,before coming to the point of having the next day off.This coincided with a major alteration of HOW I was practicing.
Amazingly,an HOUR later I was fine and went right back to the guitar.Next day was as if I'd not exerted myself at all.Perhaps stupidly,to test the notion that MAYBE,FINALLY,I'm seeing progress,I played to and then beyond my "sore point" a second consecutive day,and then a third,before being struck by the hard fact that I did it!

This thing I got through,besides learning the big bad F and the other E-barres,is my biggest sense of accomplishment yet. :D

That,to me.is a rousing success!!!!

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »
Every time you pick up your guitar and manage two or three bars more of the song you've been learning than you did the last time ...... That is a success story.

Every time you play a note, a chord a scale ......... and the tones reach you in such a way that they're more than just 'sound' ......... That is a success story.

Every time someone realises that, regardless of their skill levels or aspirations, they can rightly call themselves a guitarist and be treated as equal by the same.

I read success stories every day in here. They're called the 'Justin Guitar Community'  ;)

Offline Trun89410

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:02:34 am »
Thanks for those great responses. I guess I should have defined success in my OP but I'm actually kind of glad I didn't because it allowed you to all help with that definition. I suppose that for me, I would consider this journey a success if I can get to the point where I can play in front of friends and family with pleasure and not embarrassment.  It looks like this course can get me there.  In fact, if i simply could play all the songs in the beginners song list and have them easily recognizable, that would be absolutely wonderful, and I'd be a happy man.

I realize many of you are probably well past that point, especially if you're out playing actual gigs.  At this point that's beyond my wildest dreams.  But I did play Three Little Birds and Walk the Line today better than I've ever played them and Hound Dog and Lay Down Sally are coming along too.  Sometimes I can't resist listening to the more advanced songs on the list and wishing I could play them but hopefully a year down the road ill be at that point.

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:52 am »
If you stick to the beginner's course, you will be able to play them  ;). 90% of what I know comes from Justin. One day, you'll try to learn a Hendrix song without realizing it. Keep it up :)
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:50:04 am »
I taught Katie Melua from scratch and she's sold a gazillion records now and is a very accomplished guitarist :)

I've had a few emails from people who are started on the site and now play in bands with records out and stuff, I must dig them out, cos a success stories page would be a very cool thing to have on the site.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Greenfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »
I taught Katie Melua from scratch and she's sold a gazillion records now and is a very accomplished guitarist :)

I've had a few emails from people who are started on the site and now play in bands with records out and stuff, I must dig them out, cos a success stories page would be a very cool thing to have on the site.

Would be a very interesting watch if you get these people together if at all possible and interviewed them, I know I would enjoy such a video. :)

Offline jnb

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 91°N, 212°W Lost again!
    • The Fat Cafe
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »
Depends how you choose to define success.

I define success as being willing to not put down the guitar because someone walked into the room. After many years I am now a success.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »
Simply off the top of my head ... Justin students that play in bands / have recording on release:

Leeskii
Marcumarkmus
Deathgod
Joshpunk
Gandsfjord
warlock
JB12890
neo01124
zgabuterimon

me too I guess - though  I'm not working in a band at the moment

collaborations:
pat the bunny
schlaffenwagen
digger
Endureth
Katja

Offline artonsafari

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:12 pm »
I realize you're probably talking about making it big, or having a career in music but I'd call today a personal success!  8)

Been working on Time, and have pieces to the lead nailed and am almost nailing it straight through on every run. Got the chords down, have to fine tune the little high light bits.

Followed up with a couple pentatonic jams in E then A with minimal mistakes focusing on placing certain licks over certain chord changes.

I packed up to come back to work wanting to play and practice more.
The correct amount of guitars is one more than you currently own

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:36 pm »
a success stories page would be a very cool thing to have on the site.

Agreed ;-)

i did know that you teached Katie Melua but i didnt know that Katie started from scratch with you, that means complete beginner? Wow!

anyway, a success story page would be interesting and inspiering/giving hope for us still beginners
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Get The Forum As A Mobile App