Author Topic: Does age matter  (Read 11956 times)

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Does age matter
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2018, 01:09:20 pm »
I am 74 started at 66

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 03:55:33 pm »
pfft, I have sonograms of myself fretting the F two weeks before birth.

:)

Not really though.
Very funny Endureth! You deserve a year's discount on your age for that comment.

I enjoy these posts. Great to see the emphasis on enjoyment.

I started learning in my  early 20's while at varsity and was really pleased with being able to play songs.

After getting married life happened and I only rekindled my interest 2 years ago. I am 51 and am close to end of the BC and having a lot of fun.

Must say it was way way more difficult to learn guitar from a book in the early 1990's. The resources available on Justin Guitar and this community and the zillions of video lessons is simply amazing.

As for the inpact of the age difference, I am much more patient and structured now and my wife no longer wants me to help changing nappies during practice time .

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Badgerman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 06:56:41 pm »
Well, that was a refreshing thread to read! I was coming to the conclusion that I was too old to learn this, and reading this I’m not the oldest on here, so maybe some hope yet then!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2019, 07:04:02 pm »
No such thing as too old, it takes a bit longer to learn when you’re older but if you’re retired you’ve got plenty of time to put into it - I’m 67 and still learning!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Cummings

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 10:50:13 pm »
This has inspired me to join register!

I’m 43 and started maybe 3 months ago. Had to have a 6 week break while I moved house and renovated. So really had to start again. But I love it!!  I play on a very cheap acoustic that I bought to see if I would stick to it

I did try years ago, but now I have time and patience. This course is helping me loads. I really wanted to be able to play songs by now, but I’ve made peace with the fact it will take AGES before that.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 11:29:09 pm »
Been following this thread with interest since it was opened. Thought long and hard about an answer but at the end of the day, its attitude not age that matters. I believe you can get to a reasonable level no matter when you start, as long as your clock keeps ticking. I've no science t back it up but learning may take a bit long the older you are and speed and flexibility may be more compromised but I'm convinced you can get there in the end.

The good thing about starting later in life - for me restarting after early retirement - is work and family (ie kids) commitments don't get in the way so much. Although I got my first guitar at 40 my work sucked the life out of me for the next 15 years. Plus at 39 I'd just restarted Martial Arts with my then 15 year old daughter, were training 3 nights a week, had courses and grading most weekends and went on to run our own school for 6 years. So I never really focused as much as I should have on learning to play guitar. By the time I jacked in work, internal politics had driven me out of MA, so at 55 I vowed to knuckle down and learn again. A move from the UK to France stretched the process but having found Justin and started the BC in earnest in early 2013 in knew I was on the right track. Life started at 57 and I ain't looked back.

Well that's my approach and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 126
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 03:17:22 am »
Been following this thread with interest since it was opened. Thought long and hard about an answer but at the end of the day, its attitude not age that matters. I believe you can get to a reasonable level no matter when you start, as long as your clock keeps ticking. I've no science t back it up but learning may take a bit long the older you are and speed and flexibility may be more compromised but I'm convinced you can get there in the end.

The good thing about starting later in life - for me restarting after early retirement - is work and family (ie kids) commitments don't get in the way so much. Although I got my first guitar at 40 my work sucked the life out of me for the next 15 years. Plus at 39 I'd just restarted Martial Arts with my then 15 year old daughter, were training 3 nights a week, had courses and grading most weekends and went on to run our own school for 6 years. So I never really focused as much as I should have on learning to play guitar. By the time I jacked in work, internal politics had driven me out of MA, so at 55 I vowed to knuckle down and learn again. A move from the UK to France stretched the process but having found Justin and started the BC in earnest in early 2013 in knew I was on the right track. Life started at 57 and I ain't looked back.

Well that's my approach and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

"It's attitude, not age, that matters..."  Your post is so appropriate in many respects.  I don't want to turn this into a road case, but I'll be 70 in exactly 1 hour and 57 minutes.  When I found this site a little over two years ago, I knew some major/minor and seventh chords and all the chords to House of the Rising Sun.  Period.  This site and community really gave me the impetus to really try and learn guitar.  Never sang, either, 'till I hit here.  It's never too late. 
 I Never thought I'd put myself out there like this, but, hey, I'm so old now, I don't care.  It may be taken down shortly, so get your laughs now. ;D  These were taken last night, but how appropriate!  The shirt says it all.  My tatt, if you can't read it, says "MANTIQUE"    Old people rule!! ;)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 04:06:28 am »
Wishing you the most joyous of Birth Days dear Dave. You've always rocked and I see no reason that will change now you're 70. You are a much valued, respected and dare I say, loved member of this community. Love you attitude. Rock on awesome legend of a muso man.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 08:49:45 am »
Wishing you the most joyous of Birth Days dear Dave. You've always rocked and I see no reason that will change now you're 70. You are a much valued, respected and dare I say, loved member of this community. Love you attitude. Rock on awesome legend of a muso man.
What she said. Happy Birthday Dave! :D
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 5

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:43 am »
+1 ^^^^^^
Hope you have a seriously great day 🍾🍾🍾
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2019, 09:44:28 am »
+1 ^^^^^^
Hope you have a seriously great day 🍾🍾🍾

Ditto ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2019, 10:30:08 am »
"It's attitude, not age, that matters..."  Your post is so appropriate in many respects.  I don't want to turn this into a road case, but I'll be 70 in exactly 1 hour and 57 minutes.  When I found this site a little over two years ago, I knew some major/minor and seventh chords and all the chords to House of the Rising Sun.  Period.  This site and community really gave me the impetus to really try and learn guitar.  Never sang, either, 'till I hit here.  It's never too late. 
 I Never thought I'd put myself out there like this, but, hey, I'm so old now, I don't care.  It may be taken down shortly, so get your laughs now. ;D  These were taken last night, but how appropriate!  The shirt says it all.  My tatt, if you can't read it, says "MANTIQUE"    Old people rule!! ;)

Here's wishing you many, many more hard rocking years Dave.

I echo all of Maggie's sentiments.

Loved the T-shirt and confess I wasn't expecting the Simmonds tongue pose :)  But sure has attitude !!

Online max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
    • YT-channel
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2019, 10:37:57 am »
+1 all of the above  ;D Great pictures!

Happy Cake Day and wish you many more rocking years! All the best!

Offline Benmusic93

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2019, 01:11:41 pm »
Of course not. Everyone learnt at different rates regardless of age. If you have working fingers and hands you will be fine. I'm 25 and I started playing around 21/22 and then stopped for a year or so between 24 ish til very recently and this is what my platings like so yeah you can learn whilst you're not young still. Just depends how much Time and effort you put in in terms of how far you will go.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2019, 02:02:53 pm »
Happy Birthday Dave! Love the pictures. Keep on rockin'
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Get The Forum As A Mobile App