Author Topic: Does age matter  (Read 13409 times)

awssen

Does age matter
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:09:46 pm »
Hello Justin,
 I'm 25, do u think it's too late to learn how to play the guitar or it's just fine?

Offline rfriday

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
Re: Does age matter
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:15:40 pm »
I certainly hope [email protected]@!!!!!   I'm almost 20 years older than you and am just finishing up the beginners course (and there appear to be many beginners here older than me).
Guitars: Fender Am. Special HSS Strat (black on black),  Schecter C-1 Custom, Epi SG 400 Pro, Seagull Entourage CW GT QI, Yamaha FGX700SC

Amps:  Fender Mustang III v2, Blackstar HT-5R

awssen

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:08 pm »
I really hope so, coz i've been told that age really matters or at least it makes learning slower! no matter of what i'm really excited to learn to play, but just asking :)

Offline rfriday

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
I really hope so, coz i've been told that age really matters or at least it makes learning slower! no matter of what i'm really excited to learn to play, but just asking :)
Can't' really say whether I'm learning slower than I would have if I'd started earlier.  I just know that I'm loving it and I'm learning / progressing every day.  Don't give it another thought, just dive in and have a good time!
Guitars: Fender Am. Special HSS Strat (black on black),  Schecter C-1 Custom, Epi SG 400 Pro, Seagull Entourage CW GT QI, Yamaha FGX700SC

Amps:  Fender Mustang III v2, Blackstar HT-5R

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:31:06 pm »
I started at 25 too. Come on, 25 is young ;). If you start thinking this way at 25, what will you ever try at 40 ? ;).

I learned quite fast (no saying I'm good, but I don't think that I would have learned faster if I started earlier), and learned that too much guitar each day can mess up with your hand !
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:52:49 pm »
There are folks in their 50's and 60's on this site, who started learning fairly recently.
It's easier to start learning young, but it's not impossible to start learning beyond (insert age here).

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:42 pm »
I'm 51 and started about a year or so ago.  I have made it through stage 7 of the beginners course and have already dabbled in finger style.  I'm not sure if my slow pace is age related or the fact I'm just not a natural musician...if there is such a thing.

The main factor I can see age playing is the amount of time I have to practice and the quality of practice.  At 51 my professional obligations are far more demanding than they were at 25.  After a 10-11 hour work day with an hour commute on each side I don't always have the energy to practice or to have a focused practice.  Many nights its just sit down and do what I already know cause it's easy and relaxing.  My guitar playing is tied into my retirement plan which is about 13 years away.  By that time I expect to be reasonably accomplished and able to entertain my wife and myself.

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:54 pm »
I'm 59.I started just over a year ago at 58.In as much as I am able to compare my progress with some in other age groups,I think I'm doing pretty well,in all but maybe one area.
That being building strength and endurance in my left arm,that for over a half century did little more than hang around... :D
I'm midway through the intermediate lessons,while also doing Blues Lead and Rhythmn and Practical Music Theory.From what I can tell,that's about average for a year and 3 weeks,for any age group.

The big difference is when I get "10 years good",I'll be bumping 70...You'll just be 35. ;D

*ETA*
Didn't see the reply from douge47ca before posting my own.I feel I should qualify what I said with the fact that I am retired and have more time than what my arm will allow. ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:32:06 pm by Flashmann »

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
@Flashmannn  Great job on the progress! 

One slight advantage I had was up until about 5 years ago I lifted weights often so I had some reasonable amount of arm/forearm strength to start with.  Not like I had when I was lifting 4-5 times a week but enough to help out a little.  My arm and wrist still gets tired after practicing barre chords for several minutes in a row but it steadily improves.

One thing I did forget in my first post was finger dexterity took longer than it may have had I started younger.  Im just now getting to the point where I can do the first position of the major scale without moving my hand up/down the neck.

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:18:52 pm »
@Flashmannn  Great job on the progress! 

One slight advantage I had was up until about 5 years ago I lifted weights often so I had some reasonable amount of arm/forearm strength to start with.  Not like I had when I was lifting 4-5 times a week but enough to help out a little.  My arm and wrist still gets tired after practicing barre chords for several minutes in a row but it steadily improves.

One thing I did forget in my first post was finger dexterity took longer than it may have had I started younger.  Im just now getting to the point where I can do the first position of the major scale without moving my hand up/down the neck.

My arm isn't totally useless.I spent 35 years painting and drywall finishing.The "skilled work' was done with my right.My left,(fret arm) held on to pails of paints,buckets/tubs of joint compounds,climbed ladders and scaffolds and lots of things like that.Helped guide/balance pool cues,golf clubs,baseball bats,deal cards,and for a time box. ;D But it NEVER used the muscle groupings that I'm using now with the guitar.
I think in that sense,it probably is an advantage to start younger.

Then again.I remember back to being an apprentice painter.The contortions I had to put my right hand through to get it to properly control a paint brush,trowel or drywall knife.It was a few years to get all that down when I was 17 years old!.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »
The "skilled work' was done with my right.

Well then it's about time your left arm learned some skills  ;D Keep up the good work you've progressed
nicely since you first started posting here.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:45 pm »
It only matters if you think it matters... but even then, it doesn't really matter.

Shadow the aged
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39:30 pm »
I'm 50. A friend gave me a guitar nearly three years ago, and when I began learning I had no expectations or aspirations of fame and fortune.  It was merely an escape and a way to occupy my mind and my time. I pretty much suck at guitar and have trouble remembering songs and lessons after I learn them. But it's one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I've ever experienced. FWIW, I think that if you can keep it fun, you'll be more motivated to learn. 
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 12:51:20 am »
The "skilled work' was done with my right.

Well then it's about time your left arm learned some skills  ;D Keep up the good work you've progressed
nicely since you first started posting here.

Nice to hear some outside perspective,because from the inside looking out,I still feel like a rank beginner.I know better,but it still feels that way. ???

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 01:54:20 pm »
Hello Justin,
 I'm 25, do u think it's too late to learn how to play the guitar or it's just fine?

Of course, anyone starting a day after their 3rd birthday is too late!

As long as you're still breathing and able to use your hands, you can start. Ik was 33 when I first picked up the guitar and I am by no means the oldest guitar student there ever was. Learning may be slower than when you're 5 or 15 but you're never too old.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Get The Forum As A Mobile App