Author Topic: Need Visat 32 Home Premium ISO  (Read 2282 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Need Visat 32 Home Premium ISO
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:33 pm »
Where can I download one?

I got one but when I try to make a just boot it says I need to override the build number. Don't know how to do that.

Trying to rebuild crash. Have no original media. Do have serial.

Basically... I'm trying to do this....
http://www.askvg.com/a-bootable-usb-utility-to-create-bootable-usb-drive-to-install-windows-vista-server-2008-and-7/

Ran the exe and it extracted all the files but when I made the iso I just named it Vista 32. I have no idea what the build number is.

Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
Re: Need Visat 32 Home Premium ISO
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
Is it an OEM install, TB? They can be a serious pain finding the exact right build regardless of the OS. OEM's make plenty of dough supplying recovery discs to people who suddenly realise theirs are missing and they have a duff PC/Laptop until they get them. Was there no manufacturers recovery partition on the drive you can access?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:58:22 pm »
Yep, it's an HP. The drive is shot. I got his data backed up right before it totally failed. So I'm buying a new drive and just want to go back with a clean install. yes, there was a recovery partition but it can't be accessed. Tried that.

I can't even format the drive.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:59 am »
TB-

I did one recently where the drive was seemingly buggered. I got a utility from the drive manufacturer (Seagate, I think) and it took four hours going through the drive and rearranging stuff so I could access the data. I made a full backup and four weeks later the drive packed in ...... but I had the data to hand for a full restore. You could try running drive manufacturer software over the drive and see what you get. Is it the drive hardware that's screwed, or just the physical partition? If the latter, it's possible you may be able to access the recovery partition with drive partitioning tools.

If you have to go down the path of reinstalling the OS, from what I'm reading on the surface, you should be able to install from a retail Vista Home Premium DVD with the HP OEM key. If the laptop has no optical drive on it, I'd seriously consider borrowing an external HDD for making bootable installations. Especially on older systems, booting and installing from USB can be painfully slow.

I have discs from all of my installations over the years ........ I never bothered with Vista, though......... XP x64 is still working rock solid and, on other partitions, I waited for Win 7 before thinking of upgrading.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:24:04 am »
It's a desktop.

I live booted Ubuntu and could see the revovery and windows partition. So I copied all his data that he wanted. I think, and he thinks, we have all the data... In the process though the drive just gave out.

I do have some seagate software to recover files but that needs to see a good partition. right now my windows machine that I have the drive hooked to via a SATA adapter just sees a drive of some sort hat needs formating. Tried to format it but it failed. Never started actually.

Also while it was still in the old PC tried the recovery but again it just sat there. In fact it took several hours at a blue screen just getting to the recovery screen.

I don't have a DVD.... That's my problem. I need one. He doesn't have either because he never made recovery disks.

So I think we were lucky to save the data,,, b8ut now what should be easy is turning out to be a pain because I can't seem to make a good bootable disk or USB.

Gone

Offline MadCat

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Kassel-Germany
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:30:05 am »
Ran the exe and it extracted all the files but when I made the iso I just named it Vista 32. I have no idea what the build number is.

What .exe did you run?

As far as I know, Win7 is the first Windows of which you can, officially and legal, download iso-images.
Maybe it would be much easier just to buy Win7.  ;) If you have a 64-bit CPU a 64bit Version would be good.
My gear is here

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:34:26 am »
If you have the complete partitions backed up, you can try partitioning the new drive to reflect the set up of old one (one data / one recovery partition) and shift the recovery data back to it's new partition, then install the new drive back to the desktop. If I remember rightly, HP options the F10 or F11 key to boot to the recovery partition in the factory MBR, but that's long gone. If you make the recovery partition a primary and set it as active, you may be able to boot right into the recovery setup.

To be honest, the quickest way of getting the PC back up and running would be a clean install straight from the DVD. I know you said you don't have the OEM Recovery DVDs, but you do have an ISO you can burn to disc and install? Just in case :

http://www.drfsupercenter.info/Windows%20ISOs/en_windows_vista_with_sp2_x86_dvd_342266.iso

One thing that's confusing me; the desktop does have a DVD drive? ......... Just wondering why you don't just boot the install from disc rather than USB?

Addendum: Madcat ......... The site above has the whole slew of MS Windows versions; all legit as long as your product key will play with them.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:23:44 pm »
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07143#N100
Costs up to $30 but he'll have proper recovery media then.

And a hint : regular OEM discs usually won't accept license keys from HP/Dell/Acer/etc., so constructing one probably won't work.
(Rule #1 of prebuilt PC's, if it doesn't come with a recovery disc, MAKE ONE !! or order one)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »

What .exe did you run?

As far as I know, Win7 is the first Windows of which you can, officially and legal, download iso-images.
Maybe it would be much easier just to buy Win7.  ;) If you have a 64-bit CPU a 64bit Version would be good.

The .exe from the file that extracted all the Vista folders.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 01:04:27 pm »
.... but you do have an ISO you can burn to disc and install? Just in case :

http://www.drfsupercenter.info/Windows%20ISOs/en_windows_vista_with_sp2_x86_dvd_342266.iso

One thing that's confusing me; the desktop does have a DVD drive? ......... Just wondering why you don't just boot the install from disc rather than USB?

Read the title of the thread.... I don't have one... I was just going to make USB because it's easier to keep track of. I'll download that iso.... That's what I was asking for. I don;t want HP recover disks, I want a clean install of Win Vista 32 but don't have the media.

That's exactly what I was looking for ... especially with SP2. Thank you, I'll let you know how it goes.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07143#N100
Costs up to $30 but he'll have proper recovery media then.

And a hint : regular OEM discs usually won't accept license keys from HP/Dell/Acer/etc., so constructing one probably won't work.
(Rule #1 of prebuilt PC's, if it doesn't come with a recovery disc, MAKE ONE !! or order one)

That's my next worry... that the HP number will not work... If that happens might have to go to plan B. I just threw away a laptop with a Vista on it and I think I forgot to write down the number.... of course that was an OEM as well.

I'm not sure if the hardware is 64bit or not. Haven't had time to check. ...Damn! good thing I looked. it is 64 bit.. http://www.bing.com/search?q=hp+a6645f&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=hp+a6645f&sc=1-9&sp=-1&sk=

HP a6645f verde

I might see if he wants to go up to Win7-64... That's probably what I would do as well. What's that selling for these days?
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:24:45 pm »
Ah.... Gotcha now....... As long as you got what you were after.................

Addendum: If you're going to have to shell out for recovery discs, you may as well push the boat out a little further for Win 7.

Dan-

That's been my experience with OEM installs ........ I always have a quick read around though, when I'm about to offer advice, just in case something's changed since the last time I had to do the same. A few people seem to have had joy installing from official ISOs with OEM product keys, so it's always worth a shot. In the case of activation problems, a call to Microsoft support had them resolved.

I xx--xx hate OEM prebuilds for the way they do that. It's like some archaic leftover from the days when every system builder ran their own closed architecture model, locking you in to their support, their hardware, their way or the highway. HP and Dell still stink for it, especially when it comes to shopping for memory for their boards. I had to jump thorugh hoops once to change the OEMID in the BIOS table, just so a Dell restore disc would restore a bloody Dell laptop.

.......... And wait 'til you see UEFI partitioning ....... Oh what joy it was bumping my nose on that one, when all I wanted to do was upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7 on my niece's laptop ......

I recommend prebuilds for people who just want a home PC and the first thing I do is run off the recovery media, tell them to stick it somewhere safe, then leave them to it. For myself? .... No thanks...... I'll build 'em myself.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard

Offline MadCat

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Kassel-Germany
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:44 pm »
I don't know how much a copy of win7 is at the moment. Shouldn't be too expensive, if you got an OEM-Copy.
But what I can say is, that Win7 is much better than Vista. More stable, faster, safer...

What I think is a bit odd, is the amount of memory of your system. 5GB?  ???
My gear is here

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 03:45:53 pm »
What I think is a bit odd, is the amount of memory of your system. 5GB?  ???

I know... this system actually belongs to my nephew... It has one stick of memory that is two sided. then three single sided sticks.

Man... I'm going from bad to worse... I just realized I can't find my Win7-64 CD. I have all my documents, all my receipts for every piece of this computer and no DVD. Does anyone know what the OEM package looked like or even the DVD. The color or anything... It's Win7-64 Home... I guess I need to download that too. I figured I would make some USB drives with each OS on it and maybe a few backup DVDs.

I can't imagine what I've done with that. Evidently put it in a "safe place" so I would "know where it is"... That worked out real well.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:38:55 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App