Author Topic: Good, cheap, small laptop  (Read 1156 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Good, cheap, small laptop
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:26:26 pm »
I need a good, cheap, laptop that runs Windows. The 11.5" is plenty big -- 13" is probably as large as I want to go.

Lightweight and long battery a plus.

You don;t see many laptops these days... it seems like big laptops or Pad/Tablet devices.

Any suggestions or other options to consider.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Good, cheap, small laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:17:12 pm »
Google for the terms 'Netbook' or 'Ultrabook' and you will find exactly what you need, TB  ;)
But be quick about ordering one, smaller laptops are being phased out in favor of those godawfull xx--xx tablets and other touchscreen crap.
We have CrApple and Microsucks to thank for that.
Although i have read several reports that blame the current fall in PC sales on winblows 8 being shipped on all new products, so i guess there's some hope left for humanity.
Not much, but some  :-X
Also, be aware that there's lots of 'chromebooks' out there now as well; Laptops running on Google's own linux-inspired crapfest, the kind that gives Ubuntu a run for it's money when it comes to privacy and security issues.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:42:38 pm »
Our boss has one of the Sony Vaio models..... Uses it for presentations on the big screen in the boardroom. Great little performer for the size. Dunno about the extra you'll pay to have the Sony name on it though.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:35:16 am »
Yeah, I actually like Sony.... they are pricey though. That's basically all i need is one of those netbooks. I still haven't figured what the Ultrabook means. Other than high price.

there used to be a boatload of NetBooks and now I can't seem to nice say $400 deal with Win7.

I had been looking at the eePC.  I also think I'll pass on Acer this time.
Gone

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:34 am »
I guess the point with ultrabooks is that they are super slim and supposed to work longer on one battery charging, kinda like Apple's MacBooks (or whatever they are called). I don't know how they compare with netbooks or laptops in terms of performance, though.
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:23:28 am »
I've got an ASUS eeePC that I take with me for my personal stuff if I'm travelling with work, and it's been great - I thought it would be a little small for what you were asking for, though. Battery life is fantastic, much more useful than an I-pad (but not as trendy), can be stuffed into a rucksack or carry-on bag easily and runs everything I need quite happily.

Otherwise, we have had good luck with Samsung laptops (4 in the house currently - various models).

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:34:26 am »
My friend has an old Asus Eee... The screen is so small that with higher resolution settings the whole display of desktop scrolls up and down depending on where the cursor is...

Samsung - great performance/price ratio but also low build quality, we all know those plastic smartphones from Samsung. I have a laptop from them (3 years old), speakers are worse than in my 5 years old nokia, battery is already completely terminated, but it's fast enough for my needs.

My bro got two laptops from Dell, both good in quality and performance, with matte screens, I think they are expensive, though, my bro got them from his employer. Also I'm not sure if matte screen is a standard or you would have to order that feature before purchase.
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline bryter

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:22 am »
MacBook Air 11". Like many I bulked at the price but compare it to other comparable aluminium body windows machines & there's not much difference. 18m on no regrets its been brilliant! Had a cheap Samsung before that was v frustrating! Slow, poor build quality and always crashing.

Offline kmonroe99

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 02:49:39 pm »
Go to www.cnet.com and look at their reviews and see if that helps with any ideas.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App