Author Topic: Booting Problem  (Read 1641 times)

Offline stifflittlefingers

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Booting Problem
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:52 pm »
Hi guys ,

I have an Acer Aspire 7520 laptop.
If I click Start  - Restart it will reboot ok.
If I click Start - Shutdown it will not reboot when I press the power button.
Eventually it will start after maybe 5 or 6 attempts.
I have tried taking battery out and holding start button trick to discharge residual current.
Updated Bios.
Changed RAM.
Installed Windows fresh twice.
No other drivers loaded.
No peripherals .
Cant bring up safe mode.
When it finally starts its running spot on.
Any fresh ideas please.

Cheers guys...

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Booting Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:18:59 pm »
No, but I had an Acer that did that same thing. Now I have to admit, it had been dropped, the power had been shorted, it had been dropped in water while running, and a other things.... But for reason it did that same thing. I can tell you the drive is probably ok. I took the drive out and still have it. I just threw the computer away the other day. But I also had soldered wires to get power to it. My problem was partly due to trying to teach it to swim ( I mean who knew? ) ... but it ran for a couple of years after that. It was actually running when I finally got rid of it. The DVD drive was not working though. I just decided it had seen it's best days. I'm kinda rough on laptops.

I would back up your stuff though the next time it starts up. I had to let mine sit a few hours once. It sort of had a mind of it own there towards the end. Oh, my battery was no good either.

So anyway... don't give up on your data.... but you may want to plan on that one being secondary.

Gone

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »
I had an Acer Travelmate 5730 which did the same thing - luckily got it fixed under warranty. (IIRC, it used to be OK going onto 'hibernate', just if you shut it right down, it was a PITA to get it to start up again.)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:49:38 pm »
At what point is the boot process failing and does it show anything on screen or make any beeps or noises?
How old is the hardware and how heavily has it been used?
When did the issue develop?

A warm reboot doesn't always go through the same startup procedure as a cold boot depending on manufacturer (warm reboot tests tend to be less robust), may explain why one works better.
Did you change both ram chips? (should be two slots)

Could be worth running scandisk on your harddrive to see if its health is failing.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:10:18 pm »
I hate to say this, but I've scrapped more Acer lappies with mainboard problems than any other brand. I don't know what it is with them.

One thing I've noticed with a fair few of those I've binned: The symptoms started with the laptop powering up when it felt like, becoming more intermittent, then finally committing seppuku. Going by the surplus of users who've experienced the same failure scenario with Acer laptops, it's fair to say that their mainboards seem very prone to failure.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 07:03:49 pm »
Yep, I also had a Acer Ferrari and it was a damn nice laptop.... but... the main board went out on it.

Gone

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:48:30 pm »
Nowadays it's not uncommon for many products to 'disintegrate' as soon as the warranty ends... And especially electronic gear is easy to set the 'time bomb' on by producents.
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »
Cheers guys , laptop fails as soon as the Acer splash screen goes, just flashing white cursor in top left corner.Its deffo gave me my moneys worth its about 4 years old and was my main computer as I got rid of my tower when I gave up gaming.
I hear the fan and get power lights but no beeps from mobo etc.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 10:44:57 pm »
Cheers guys , laptop fails as soon as the Acer splash screen goes, just flashing white cursor in top left corner...

Ahh, different to mine, then - mine just refused to power up on the button if completely shut down (like the button was faulty, except that it worked fine for waking from standby, etc.)

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 11:00:53 pm »
Maybe BIOS battery need to be replaced... but it's just a random guess, I'm not an expert ::)

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 11:10:55 pm »
Tried that on loads of them, Loco.

Funnily enough, the symptoms of decline all seem to follow the same pattern; try every trick to get it started then, once it's going, it'll run for ever ......... until you shut it off again. Then they're like that television that you had to thump all around the cabinet to get it to fire up again...... Taking longer to get going each time.

...... Bit like a car with a dodgy starter system ........ or a fluorescent with a buggered ballast........ ish.......

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:22:36 pm »
Could be a thermal expansion issue.... Does it usually boot ok first thing in the morning or if left off for a few hours? pain to track down if yes.

Might also be worth pulling one of the ram chips and trying one or the other in the available sockets to rule out a bad socket/connection. (are you also certain the ram is fully compatible)

My Desktop is currently about 6 years old and at various times has had
Power supply failure
Graphics card failure
2 of 4 ram chips fail
Hard drive failure
CPU heat sink clip failure
Monitor failure

.... doesn't leave much left of the original machine really.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 11:22:58 pm »
Some programmes being executed in autostart might be causing troubles with starting up the Windows, but it looks like it's not the case here, because Windows installation is fresh and booting crashes sooner anyway...

Maybe some loose hardware connections? Dirt?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 12:37:05 am »
Actually there is a very good chance you fan is clogged with dust.
Gone

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 07:04:28 am »
Few good ideas guys , fan has been taken out ,cleaned , the copper pipe from the fan which has heatsinks attached has also been removed ,cleaned and redone with the thermal paste ( cant remember its name ).
RAM has been taken out and swapped.
Head has been scratched, chin has been stroked, dogs been chased out, family banished to other room...
Tried it all, just loathe to give up as it runs nice when finally gets going.
Thanks for input though.....

Get The Forum As A Mobile App