Author Topic: Capturing the Bottom End (Mic Suggestions please!)  (Read 784 times)

Offline äx

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Capturing the Bottom End (Mic Suggestions please!)
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:50:05 pm »
Hi,
I own a Budda Superdrive 18 Combo which, in case you're not familiar with the manufacturer (or the model), has one of the thickest tones and most massive bottom ends out there (while maintaining a lovely amount of EL84 high-end chime but that's slightly beside the point).

I have recently miced it up using a SM57 and a Studioprojects B1, which are the only microphones I own at this point, and found that neither could adequately reproduce the bottom end, which is one of the key components of the amp's tonal character. Now I know (or think to do so) that the SM57 is not considered the best option to capture a thick bottom end but on the other hand I wouldn't know which microphones one would want to consider for said task.

If any of you could point me into the right direction that'd be much appreciated.
I'd also like to thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Have a nice day. =)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Capturing the Bottom End (Mic Suggestions please!)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:46:42 pm »
An affordable ribbon mic ( not for throwing at drummer on stage ). .

Two mic D112 and SM57

But I would try to find a ribbon.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Capturing the Bottom End (Mic Suggestions please!)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:49:58 am »
.. Seneheiser 421 or an RE-20 for the bottom, and an AKG 414 would be good, but expensive.
FWIW, if you move the 57 to the outside of the cone, you might get more of the sound that you're lookin' for.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App