Author Topic: Enduring Shadows  (Read 902 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
Enduring Shadows
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:53:32 pm »
Well it's not really called that but Endureth ever so kindly laid down a drums and bass for a scratch track I had posted else where.

I finally figured out how correct the latency issue in audacity, and tossed down the rhythm track over it. 

Using it as a jam track - Am pentatonic/blues and A natural minor work really well over it.  Probably toss some updates up with some solos, maybe alternate rhythms, maybe a vocal melody - and if I get incredibly brave maybe an actual vocal... call it a verse or a chorus...

Seems like a fun little progression to work out doing and combining additional tracks over...

Comments welcome... if you make me cry at least only I will know.   ;D

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
Re: Enduring Shadows
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:28:49 pm »
I like the title, very creative, lol

Now the fun parts starts, just grab that lead guitar, loop it, and vamp over it, recording everything as you go along.  Then you can pick the best parts of all the solos you do, piece them together and try and play the whole creation at once.

Or you can write a verse over it and experiment with ways it could go into a bridge, pre-chorus, or chorus (if you wanted to write a song).  Lyric melodies are sometimes responsible for how a change to the next part develops.  I think it sounds great so far, tight playing on the rhythm.  Is this your first time recording to a timed track (like with drums)?

BTW, the mix itself is rather good too!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »
I think with that strum pattern I would up the tempo a bit.
Gone

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:27:13 pm »
@endureth,

Used to play in a band out and about in the world, but never recorded (well except for one demo tape but that was pretty much "live").  But that really worked on my timing - the drummer and the bass player can throw things at you if you start to drag or rush.  Well mostly the drummer - there is a reason they keep the bucket of sticks handy.  The bass player was a finger guy so all he really had to throw at me was dirty looks.  DO NOT PISS OFF THE RHYTHM SECTION.

As for the mix - it's better to be lucky than good.

I will have to work out how to loop it.  I assume making it a seamless transition will be the challenge there.

@TB,

I don't disagree, it is pretty sedate...   The tempo is mine from the original scratch track... I have never messed with the tempo adjustment in audacity.  I wonder how "artificial" is sounds.  I assume the more I try to adjust it the more it will be noticeable that I adjusted it.

(edit: stoopid question):  I assume it would be better to speed up the bass/drum track and lay the rhythm down over that again rather than speeding up the combo as a general rule?

Lots of fodder for "noob recording"...

Thanks guys,
Shadow

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »
DO NOT PISS OFF THE RHYTHM SECTION.

Valuable lesson!!!!

I will have to work out how to loop it.  I assume making it a seamless transition will be the challenge there.

Well, there are some bass fills and the drum pattern never changes so I would just paste the drums for 5-10 minutes worth, then take a section of the bass (the progression itself is just 4 bars long) that has no fills and is just the straight up riff, cut and past that just as long.  It should fit together easily.  There should be something called 'snap to grid' or similar and if your tracks is set to 78 bpm, you'll be able to cut those 4 bars of bass out easily and then paste the heck out of that for 5-10 minutes as well.  Then the same with guitar and boom, you got a nice long track to vamp over.

Speeding up the track should be easy as well and so long as you have the 'preserve pitch' option selected, it should sound fine unless you go up to ridiculous speed.  Be careful not to go to ludicrous speed or you may go into plaid.  Extra points if you get that reference!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:25:38 pm »
So, at the risk of pissing off the rhythm section (I am brave because he's one guy, doesn't know where I live, and seems a easy going sort) I did the following:

Looped his drums and bass - doubling the duration of the playground.

Then per TB's advice I sped it up to 98 bpm and re-recorded the rhythm track...

Then I jammed over it (there are a few rough spots but hey I can always cut more).

Then I tried to mix it down passably and came up with the following:

Shadow

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:25:32 pm »
There ya go :)  Could use some eq, but one step at a time :)

Sounds good, where do you take it next?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:23:31 am »
Dunno... that is an excellent question... I don't have an answer

Plan to use it as a jam track for a while... for sure - still working on smooth dim7 arps and maybe record some more improvs...

At the moment I think of it as a sketch... maybe see if I can come up with a second part, let it go somewhere, or come from somewhere or link two somethings, and see if there is a song in there...

The odd thing is that really started as a progression in a thread, then a tool to practice a specific thing, then a learning how to manipulate a recording in the most basic sense. 

Shadow

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:59 am »
Do you see that by speeding it up you added some 1/16ths in with your strumming? Makes it sound more alive. Either that or I listened to two different parts of the song. Haven't heard the whole thing yet. You are also more likely to play more crisp attacks on the downbeats so you get a little more dynamic.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App