Author Topic: ** BLUES LEAD UPDATE ** your suggestions welcome!  (Read 8843 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
** BLUES LEAD UPDATE ** your suggestions welcome!
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:37:55 am »
Howdy all

Later this year I'm planning to re-write and improve and re-film the Blues Lead course.

Suggestions welcomed from those that have done the course and see room for improvements :)

I'll be removing the Dorian mode from the early lessons, spending a little more time on the techniques, adding Guitar Pro files for all the licks, including more backing tracks and of course re-filming it in HD.

Also plans for some "in the style of" licks series but that may be a separate bit...

Anything you'd like to see improved or added??

Cheers, Justin
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
Re: ** BLUES LEAD UPDATE ** your suggestions welcome!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:17 am »
Sort of related - have you considered a blues songbook, something that would suit intermediate, given blues probably requires that sort of level?

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:28:18 pm »
I took the Blues Lead course and thought it was great.  I learned the five pentatonic positions and how to use them.  I'd be interested in a "second edition".

In the new course, I'd like to see more about phrasing.  How to string licks together in a 12 bar blues.  Maybe some introduction to "playing the changes".  Stevie Snacks has a lesson that says if you're on a particular chord, the lick should end on a particular note.  (I chord: the lick should end on 1, b3, 3, 5, or b7(after bar 8),  IV chord: 4, 1, b3,  V chord: 5, 9.)  I'm not sure how much sense that approach makes, but something like that might be useful.  Maybe phrasing is out of scope.

I remember having a little trouble using the "Intros and Endings" lesson.  I didn't quite get how to fit them into a 12 bar blues chorus.  The Blues rhythm course straighten that out for me.

Focus on techniques like bending and sliding would be helpful.

Thanks J   :)

P.S. Rhythm for the licks might be helpful.  You know that down, up down kind of thing.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:22:21 pm by sophiehiker »
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:49:44 pm »
I would love to see some more licks :) but I mean the kind of licks which can be played over whole backing track unlike some of the licks from 'awesome licks' section.

Personally I prefer a very simple lick which I can practise during whole track rather than a sophisticated run which I can play only in certain part of a song, over right chords, with specified timing and when the moon is in the third quarter or it will sound like siht otherwise...

The five licks in each position in blues lead course are fine but I would just like more of them.
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:36:28 am »
I think it was perfect to be honest.
I would rewatch them again in HD =) with a bike and track =p

chrisP42

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 03:51:59 pm »
Hello Justin, hello all!

I'm right in the middle of the Blues lead lessons and also working on the "in the style of" series and had a look at the forum while waiting for my fingertips to stop hurting   ;D The lessons are great. Period  8)
For the licks, I can't help but throw in a few names ... in no particular order:

Coco Montoya
Eric Johnson
Joe Banamassa (speaking of which, there's a great live version of "the thrill is gone" out there on youtube *hinthint*)
Albert Cummings
Duke Robillard (whose "Blues A Rama" comes to mind ...  8) )

And of course - and as this is my first post - a big BIG "Thank you" for this great website!

chris

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 04:11:05 pm »
I'd love to see a lesson about the key differences between the styles of different notable blues guitarists. Like that one bend that Albert Collins does, and the additional notes that BB King and Robben Ford uses, etc. I know it's in some of your lessons, but it would be nice to have it all consolidated. Info about how they get their different tones would be nice too.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 11:58:12 pm »
I would second the old notion in this old thread, that the section on turnarounds could be gone into a bit more. Otherwise, loved the course.

I think it sets you up to understand the theoretical basis of the Awesome Licks licks.

A sequel, doing the same sort of thing for rock and metal soloing would be utterly fantastic one day, though.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline martinski

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:17:19 am »
Hi Justin

Your transcribing course and blues lessons have had a massive impact on my playing so thank you.  :)

I want to continue to progress and transcribe recording of blues licks (and solo's) for myself.

Is there a progression of songs/solo's you'd recommend/suggest to help me get some early transcribing wins as well as improve my playing?

Obviously which blues tracks depend on taste, preference and favourite artist but even just some selected tracks from your top 10 greatest blues guitar albums in order of difficulty to transcribe would be a great starting point.

Cheers

Martin

Offline JAM

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 05:42:47 pm »
Using  the C.A.G.E.D Blues Chord arpeggios and Mixolydian Modes to create a more musical sound rather than just by using the scales

Get The Forum As A Mobile App