Author Topic: my acoustic  (Read 2536 times)

mjw

my acoustic
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:51 am »
I don't know what brand or model mine is, but I got it second-hand for very cheap, and I got new (Martin) strings for it. Here it is:

Offline IB_Bangin

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
Re: my acoustic
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:41 pm »
nice, now play the xx--xx out of it!

mjw

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:43 pm »
Can anyone tell me what make or model it is? There's no markings on it that I can find, and the sticker inside the soundhole has been ripped off. The black paint coating feels... like it could've been an aftermarket job, like someone spraypainted it or something. I can upload more pics, such as closeups of certain parts, if needed.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 10:45:51 pm »
MJW-

To be honest .......... It looks like you bought a beat up, second hand, hand painted acoustic ........

........ But that's not a bad thing! My first acoustic was a beat up, second hand classical with steel strings ......... some time around 22 years or so ago, from a back street bric-a-brac shop in Ilfracombe ...... It played like a pig and playing chords was like fretting a set of railings ........ but I loved that guitar.

........ And that's the whole point of it ........... We might not be able to ID that guitar ..... but as long as you enjoy playing it, it doesn't matter what brand or model it might be ..... As long as you're playing it. Sooner or later, you'll know when you want to step up to something better.......... but by then, you'll know exactly where you want to put your feet..... and your money ;)

mjw

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:10:58 am »
With the new strings it doesn't sound half bad, but that may be just because I don't know what a good guitar sounds like. I've noticed that the string height is a little high at the lower frets (near the soundhole), but Justin said to expect that with cheap guitars.

Anyway, ya, maybe down the road I'll upgrade to something better, but for now I'm getting a fair bit of enjoyment out of this one. I only paid about $20 (including a hard case), and 5 for the strings. While putting the strings on, I was a little worried about the pegs coming out because they are quite loose. They seem to be staying for now; I just hope that one doesn't come out while I'm playing.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:30:57 am »
The pegs shouldn't come out, no matter how loose they feel. Take a look at this image:

The ball end of the string is wedged between the pin and bridge plate at all times......... only complete removal of the pin can cause the string to pop out. They can shift a little while the strings are fresh on the guitar, but they won't come out as long as the ball ends are set where they should be.

Offline johnbaz

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:11:50 pm »
Sorry, I can't help with the maker but your strings look like nickel plated ones, these are meant for electric guitars!

If it's just to do with the photo then fine but if they are nickel plated strings, your geetar will probably sound even better with some 'proper' Phosphor Bronze acoustic strings  ;)

Cheers, John  :)

BTW, I think you did well as the hardcase has to be worth more than twenty Bucks on it's own  8)

Offline Mannyboy

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • GuitarMann
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 11:58:57 pm »
The pegs shouldn't come out, no matter how loose they feel. Take a look at this image:

The ball end of the string is wedged between the pin and bridge plate at all times......... only complete removal of the pin can cause the string to pop out. They can shift a little while the strings are fresh on the guitar, but they won't come out as long as the ball ends are set where they should be.

Hey Bone from the birthplace of The Beatles (Cool),

I can see from your excellent drawing how a pin pulling out should not happen. But for some mysterious reason it happens to me.

I have a new higher end Taylor.  Every time I put new stings on the guitar a string will forcibly pull out a pin and shoot it across the room.  I have now been watching and see the pin I'm working on slowly inch up.  I just push it back down.  Once the string is on and tuned, the pin stays put.

In your opinion is this a normal thing when installing a string.  Am I doing something wrong? 

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:24 am »
I think what is happening is the ball end of the string is stuck at the very bottom of the pin instead of being trapped between the pin and the bridge plate.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 04:39:31 am »
Yep, the little end of the wire that's twisted gets hung on the end of the pin. Or digs into the pin.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:26:14 am »
Manny-

Bend the string a little at the end so that, as you put the ball end into the body and fit the pin, the ball end is standing off and away from the pin. Then give it a little tug to set it into the position you see in those pictures. You may find as you tighten the strings up that the peg raises a little as it sets against the peg, but you can just give it a push back down with your thumb.

It should only ping out if the ball end gets caught up against the bottom of the peg as Shadow mentions, or the part of the string that's twisted around teh ball end and doubled back along the string gets caught on it as TB points out.

You get used to it  ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:21:54 am by Wishbone »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App