Author Topic: Zoglug  (Read 1063 times)

Offline zoglug

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Zoglug
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:43:35 pm »
Hey everyone, thought i would begin my own road case as a place to show off the equipment i have but also to document my progress in learning to play the guitar! Firstly, a little bit about me and my experience.

Im 29 years old and have been playing the guitar for the past 6 months. The first 4 months, i was essentially just messing about, following videos on youtube, just trying to get a 'sound' out of my guitar. Safe to say i quickly got fed up as i did not feel i was progressing. Approximately 6 weeks ago though, i stumbled across this site, got on well with the teaching style so purchased the duluxe beginner pack and have progressed a great amount since. Im struggling a little with the d minor chord, but am very happy with my progress since following the course. I began learning to play guitar because of some family trauma's which happened during the last 12 months. It was a great way to help focus my mind and concentrate on other things. It kept me from slobbing about just playing computer games!

I love a variety of music, top of the list has to be Oasis (im from Manchester so love them!) and the Stereophonics, but i will listen to anything from the 'indie' genre, through to the Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters. Though recently all my ipod has been playing is Iron Maiden, ACDC and Metallica. I have also dipped my toes into the blues genre recently and have found a new passion, BB King inspiring this immensley!

Anyway, onto the important stuff for you guys, the gear!

GUITARS:-

Cort Z42 -

This was the first guitar i bought. Gorgeous looking guitar in wine red and set up like a dream too. I put a lot of trust in the shop i bought it from (online) and was not disappointed what so ever! Requires a new strap, as i am not happy with the cheap nylon one i bought off ebay but other than that, well worth every penny spent. Even though i wasnt progressing, just seeing the guitar encouraged me to pick her up and play!

Crafter GAE 15 -

Truely stunning guitar! I purchased this from the same place i bought the Cort and boy was i blown away when i played her! The sound is very clean and crisp, has a lovely tone and again was worth every penny spent. Off to buy a hiscox hardcase this weekend to protect the little beauty. My skill level really does not do this guitar any justice! The inlay around the sound hole is exquisite and the fretboard inlays are wood! I could sit and look at it all day! Truly amazing bit of kit!

Yamaha Pacifica 112v -

I picked this guitar up for 2 reasons,

1) I wish to learn about guitars. I want to learn how to replace strings, change the action and understand more how they work. However, i have been very reluctant to do this on my Cort or Crafter, as they have been perfectly set-up and i would hate to ruin them!

2) I wanted something i could leave at my girlfriends house to play so i dont have to pack up one of my 'better' guitars to take down. Especially as she has a little boy and im always feared he may accidentally knock my guitar when there.

I should be able to post more later, but ive been told it is virtually brand new and has only been played a handful of times!

AMPS:-

Fender Mustang I -

I wanted a small amp suitable for home use. After seeing Justin's review and also reading a lot about it on the net i took the plunge! Its a fantastic bit of kit, but now i am past using the presets, i am now trying to play with the settings to get a nice clean tone out of the guitar and amp! Hopefully i will land on something i like soon!

Fender Frontman 15B -

Dont know very much about this amp, other than it is not great and not the most desirable amp! However, it has come as part of the package with the Pacifica, so i figure it cant be too bad to leave at the girlfriends house and use there!

So that is everything for now! My GAS has been fully satisfied, i have no need for anything further. At the moment i am not interested in pedals and effects, as i am no where near the point where i am a good enough gutarist to chase the perfect tone. I plan to use this area to document my progress, so if you have any questions or comments fire away!

Cheers

Zog
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:15:17 pm by zoglug »
Gear:-

Shine SIL-510
Crafter GAE15
Fender Mustand I

Offline pieterpieter

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Zoglug
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:52:04 pm »
Nice rig!
This is my website: http://www.citypixels.be

Offline zoglug

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:52:00 am »
Well, things have changed slightly now! There is a new addition to the family. For Christmas, my girlfriend bought me a new guitar, a Shine SIL-510 off ebay. I wasnt expecting much from the guitar for the price, but it is a wonderful guitar. Excellent tone, great looks and plays like a dream. Pics below:-

It does mean though i have one guitar too many. I really should look to offload the Cort, with it also being a twin humbucker, but i really can not bring myself to sell my first guitar, even if it wont get as much playing time. So it means the Pacifica is for the chop. Its a decent guitar, but genuinely doesnt get played as much as it should. So it will be on ebay soon along with the Fender Frontman amp.

I also got my first two pedals for Christmas, i hadnt asked for them, but the family just picked them up. I got a polytune mini, which is great and a Joyo Vintage Overdrive. Ive not had a chance to play with the overdrive pedal yet, but that is what New Years Day is for!
Gear:-

Shine SIL-510
Crafter GAE15
Fender Mustand I

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »
sweet looking

shine apparently do some good gear at decent prices

you got a good un it seems

enjoy

Offline retrochoir

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:39:22 pm »
So it means the Pacifica is for the chop. Its a decent guitar, but genuinely doesnt get played as much as it should.

I've been thinking of buying a Pacifica 112V for a while - mainly because it's recommended by this site. What's it like for playability? What was the set up like out of the box? I'm looking for something with a really low action and lighter strings so I can practice barre chords more easily.

I know I should go to my local music shop and try one for myself but unfortunately I can't get out at the moment.

Edit: Also the neck is supposed to be pretty slim which would suit my smaller hands.

Would be grateful for your comments.
Tanglewood Roadster TWR OE Acoustic Guitar

Get The Forum As A Mobile App